The Dark Mod Forums

chest opening and closing sounds

grodenglaive

It always makes me edgy when I pilfer from a chest - I think a guard has just entered the room as the sounds of the chest opening and closing are the same as the door. Anyway, I have some good mics and recording software so I thought I'd try to make something different. I think it sounds like an old creaky wooden chest now. Is this something you could use?

I have two different opening and two different closing sounds. Let me know if you need them louder, softer or with less reverb, etc. or if you just plain hate them. It's my first attempt at sound effects, so I don't have any expectations. :smile:

Here are the mp3 (the wav files were too large to let me post here). I could provide other formats if required by email or dropbox.

[updated with cleaner sound]

chest opening1-1.mp3chest opening2-1.mp3chest closing1-1.mp3chest closing 2-1.mp3

Edited by grodenglaive
  • Like 1

I agree completely, the sound of chests opening always makes me check all the doors in the room.

Your replacements sound good. They're a bit muffled, but that might be down to my desktop settings. It might be an idea to provide links to the sounds that you think should be replaced, so forum users can compare them side-by-side.

I agree also. I try to change all the chests in my maps to existing TDM sounds that aren't in the collection of the normal door sounds.

The prefabs should have their sounds changed, since most people drop the prefabs into their maps and move on.

Your sounds sound fine, but I'll defer to the sound crew's opinion.

The prefabs should have their sounds changed, since most people drop the prefabs into their maps and move

This was something I intended to do, but can't remember if I did.

+1 to the prefabs having their sounds changed. Many mappers are using new sounds for both chests and doors and they do sound much better. It would be nice if they were the default.

+1 to what Biker said as well.

I agree completely, the sound of chests opening always makes me check all the doors in the room.

Your replacements sound good. They're a bit muffled, but that might be down to my desktop settings. It might be an idea to provide links to the sounds that you think should be replaced, so forum users can compare them side-by-side.

Thanks. Yes, after listening again with fresh ears they do sound a bit muffled. It seems I went a bit heavy on the compression and reverb. I can easily fix that.

Edited by grodenglaive

The first three sounds are so subtle I could barely make them out. They just seem like very small "swooshing" sounds, and there's nothing about them makes me think of a chest. Sound effects usually have to be over-exaggerated for effect.

After some prolonged absence from the forums I returned today, since it's a new year and all, to actually suggest some non-specific audio improvements myself.

Glad to see grodenglaive having similar thoughts! I would like to contribute to the core mod somehow, and since audio production is of my biggest hobbies, maybe there is something that can be done in that department to improve the general quality of the mod. As much as I'd like to make a map and campaign of my own, I've realized I simply don't have the time or energy to put into it (though I am still working on a design document and storyline :) ).

So, after listening to these, I can just say that I totally agree with Springheel about the crispyness. My humble advice would be to try to layer the samples with a controlled clicky creak sound, maybe another sample or a synthesized one (perhaps based on basic white noise?), to really bring it forth.

As Springheel suggests, over-exaggeration is probably the best way to go.

With that said, if anyone else has suggestions on sounds that might need some improvement or replacement, I'd be happy to help out, either as an adviser or as a sound designer.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Also, sorry if you feel I'm just barging in and hijacking the thread, that was not my intention. I'll probably make a new thread myself later on.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

With that said, if anyone else has suggestions on sounds that might need some improvement or replacement, I'd be happy to help out, either as an adviser or as a sound designer.

There's been a thread on interior ambients. Sounds right up your alley.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Yeah I just started from the top, your thread was the first one. :P

I'm imagining something like a hard surface hit thump, like on rocks, but with a tighter reverb, along with some sparkly crackling? Something like that?

Yes, some kind of crunching or even faint cracking sound would fit. Right now it's just using the tile sounds, which are a bad fit.

Other things we could use are more ambient city noises--distant yells, creaks and groans from buildings, the clatter of cart wheels, leaves or papers stirring in the wind, etc. Metal stress sounds are also lacking at the moment.

• Like 1

Other things we could use are more ambient city noises--distant yells, creaks and groans from buildings, the clatter of cart wheels, leaves or papers stirring in the wind, etc. Metal stress sounds are also lacking at the moment.

I've been thinking about the exact same thing here; the whinnying of distant animals and carts, maybe a child's muffled crying and voices through walls, doors opening or closing in echoing alleys... though most of these would probably be quite nice as sound queues/one shots too. Shouldn't be too hard to sort at least some of these out.

Metal sounds should be fairly easy to create using any synth with a ring modulator and sufficient reverb, with layered crackling/clanking sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

We could use some ice footstep sounds.

I might record some, if you like. Plenty of ice outside at the moment. I might need some help from others to clean up the audio a bit, but I'll try my best with the recording.

Good idea. Do you think it could work if I tried to create a collage of some of my own recorded sounds with a few free sound effects off the Internet ? I'd go for subtlety, obviously, given the night time nature of most of the missions that would need that kind of muffled city ambience.

Good idea. Do you think it could work if I tried to create a collage of some of my own recorded sounds with a few free sound effects off the Internet ?

I don't see why not.

I've added it to the list in my thread for easier overview.
I think I'll change the name of it to something less egocentric. :P

We do actually have several good chest opening sounds already; it's just up to mappers to use them.

We could use some ice footstep sounds.

I loved the footstep sounds on roofs in the new thief. They sound like the shingles were moving due to me walking over them.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter