The Dark Mod Forums

Hammer Guard Wip

oDDity

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, oDDity...I can barely communicate how cool it is to see these go from conception to animation.

:D

"And Thou, Master Builder, didst raise the feet of thy humble servant above his head. And so did he do a most holy flip."

Wow, oDDity...I can barely communicate how cool it is to see these go from conception to animation. 

:D

"And Thou, Master Builder, didst raise the feet of thy humble servant above his head.  And so did he do a most holy flip."

:lol:

On a serious note. I can clearly see that our animations will be a hell of a lot better looking than those clunky T3 animations. :) Good job.

On a serious note. I can clearly see that our animations will be a hell of a lot better looking than those clunky T3 animations. :)

Yes. The T3 animation feels like an amateur project and compared to THIS ... :)

I hope that the animations will look as good in the game and that we coders can hold up to you artist guys. :)

Gerhard

That's incredible! Very cool to see. It seems there's a new Olympic event: the "Builder Olympics" :D Next, make him pole-vaulting :lol:

I like and appreciate the lightheartedness of it -- and love to see humorous things like this -- but I'd be reluctant in giving that out to the community at this point. I think we're still being heavily judged as to how serious we are with DarkMod and they'll jump on any chance we give them to ridicule us. Part of me wants to say "screw 'em, we should just put it out there," but another part of me thinks we need to be careful over the next month or two. I think the fans would rather see this guard do a more serious animation such as walking, then abruptly stopping to look around -- as if he heard something... and THEN doing a flip! haha, j/k about the last part ;)

Good work, oDDity!

-Darkness Falls-

Edited by Darkness_Falls

That's incredible! Very cool to see. It seems there's a new Olympic event: the "Builder Olympics" :D Next, make him pole-vaulting :lol:

Axtually that's not so bad an idea. Since we already have arows we could do a kindo Olympics animation. Javelin throwin, Hammer and archery and some others. This would show off the animations rather well and we don't need to be THAT serious. If we can do fluent in-game olympics animations then everybody will know that we also can animate them in other situations.

Gerhard

Steady now, let's not get carried away - it was only a joke :D

THe animation will look exactly the same in Doom, and once I've figured out exactly how to get the fucker in there, I'll show it to you again.

I think I'll switch to Max instead of Maya since the workflow to Doom seems a lot simpler. Der_ton's plugin is very good.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 3 weeks later...

...and an attack. THese are just rendered in maya, so there's no specular or normal maps, just the dull diffuse.

post-5-1105573790.gif

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

...and an attack. THese are just rendered in maya, so there's no specular or normal maps, just the dull diffuse.

Hmmm. The swordhand is very good, but somehow the guy lacks power behind his stroke. Maybe it's the other arm, that is not swinging properly, or something like that?

Edit: When I try to make this stroke, I would expect the other hand to move slightly backwards to support the weight. On your image the second hand moves rather statically with the torso.

Gerhard

Yeah, I had to do that one from scratch :/ I think the left arm should not follow the body through, but come around a little bit later.

It's hard to get right though, hopefully we'll get some real animators soon)

YOu probably know more about animation than be, after all those books you read)

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, I had to do that one from scratch :/

No problem. It really looks cool. :) And ti still looks way better than anything from T3. :)

I think the left arm should not follow the body through, but come around a little bit later.

Actually it should move a bit backwards. You can try to do this stroke yourself and watch your second arm. Considering that a sword has quite some mass, and it will be moved with force here, the body has to compensate for balance, which means that the arm moves back and only after the swing it would follow up the shoulder/torso.

It's hard to get right though, hopefully we'll get some real animators soon)

Yeah. That's one area where we are still lacking.

You probably know more about animation than be, after all those books you read

Edit: :lol: It helps a bit though. The one book that I have is from a Disney lead animator and is very generic (not for a specific application). But the bottom line is: Just use your own body and, depending on the requirement, a stopwatch.

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

dear MASTER

WAlking and running perfect... And if you are making them with your own hand without using any motion capture data ..It s breathtaking...

You guys agree about Sword animation i agree with you too..

Oddity you can try to do that movement from the other side .it will be so much easier for you to make it ... IK and FK adjustments because of the nature of the movement will be pretty easy...

And you are DAMN MASTER of ARTs .. i have used all my praises for you ..i m out of praise for today...Just read the other posts... (and the good thing is You are getting into Motion builder and maya at the same time you ll be INVINCIBLE Guy soon.)

BEST

Edited by TYROT

Great job oDDity. You're putting Ion to shame, and this isn't even your area of expertise. :)

I agree the sword attack is slightly off...he definitely shouldn't follow through quite so much with his off-shoulder. And I think he drops his sword too quickly...he would basically be hitting his opponents in the boots at the moment.

And I think he drops his sword too quickly...he would basically be hitting his opponents in the boots at the moment.

"Sweep the leg, sensei!" :D

J/k. Regardless. there should probably be high and low swings for variety, anyways... no? But I guess maybe this one's too low? Should his boots be so pointy in the top part of them in front? It'd kind've cool, but maybe looks slightly out-of-place.

Still, you rock with this kind've stuff. "Where does he get such wonderful toys??!"

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Oddity you can try to do that movement from the other side .it will be so much easier for you to make it ... IK and FK adjustments because of the nature of the movement will be pretty easy...

That will not work. We need an animation for a game, so it must look good from all angles. Or do I missunderstand something here?

Gerhard