The Dark Mod Forums

TDM - What Are You Working On?

Mr Mike

I honestly really like the view down without the stairwell, Bob. It would be more interesting if you connected those two openings with a cat walk I think; it would be some unusual architecture, but I think it would be very mysterious.

Edited by Ombrenuit

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, sounds good, and not so easy to escape guards, plus you there is enough space to rope arrow up from ground floor.

But what textures should be used the railing poles and the top bit? What looks best, out of the wood trim1 (green) and trim2 (red and cream)?

I'd say the red and cream is much better than green.

Yeah... Static meshes are called models in Radiant. Sorry, forgot about that.... But I have only created very simple models for the radiant so far, because it was rather for testing purposes. Still those are way more powerfull and pure bsp. You can add so much detail with them and you'll get used to the tools very fast. So with them time, you'll rather want to start 3ds max (or whatever you prefer) instead of twidling around with brushes... :)

To be honest that's too much for me, I'll stick with brushes. It may look a bit TII but I'm sure people won't mind!

I suppose there has to be a range of abilities on the mapping team, and I only only learnt to map in D3ed last summer, previous to that some Hammer knowledge.

I just don't have the mind for modelling, and also I have to learn some medicine sometime, seeing as it is my degree and all. :P

It's not really like that...

Doom 3 lights by default cast 100% black shadow. See Doom 3 for example. That's how the thing works, not some setting "Pitch black shadows 0/1".

Therefore you have to use ambients to lighten up the place, but I haven't done that yet.

The problem is that the D3 ambients fade out, so that you never get uniform ambient light. I'd like it if TDM had a non-fading-out ambient which you could plonk inside buildings for a uniform lightening.

The problem is that the D3 ambients fade out, so that you never get uniform ambient light. I'd like it if TDM had a non-fading-out ambient which you could plonk inside buildings for a uniform lightening.

Just give the light texture lights/ambientlightnfo and you'll get what you want. :) You can extend its dimensions so it covers entire map or give diffrent ambient lights in diffrent parts of the map.

My first concern is performance, i want to seal all areas and use visportals, i think glass texture dont work for that, but i can be wrong. I pretend to make some windows textures of my own and then ofcourse share it, considers it as a castle texture package.