The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Maybe it could be user defined, like you just have two presets and a hot key to switch between them. You size the windows how you like, save it as the first preset, then size them differently (presumably with the 3D view HUGE), and save as the second preset. Voila, you can now switch them with a shortcut!

Yep, and a good point; that is the gist of the request made in #403 for UI layouts. So I guess if this idea is pursued, it would make the newer entry obsolete. (see that? we may actually be closing one instead of adding new ;))

@OrbWeaver: Is it possible that I'm missing the Specifier.h header file (objectives editor) in my local working copy? I've updated to latest SVN and added the SpecifierType.h to my local project, but the Component.h file still requires an #include "Specifier.h".

@OrbWeaver: Is it possible that I'm missing the Specifier.h header file (objectives editor) in my local working copy? I've updated to latest SVN and added the SpecifierType.h to my local project, but the Component.h file still requires an #include "Specifier.h".

Ah yes, now I think of it I probably didn't add Specifier.h to SVN before committing. I'll do this when I get home tonight.

So I wanted to get back into modding, and installed the latest DR 0.9.6. First problem I encountered was that I copied the files over the 0.9.4 installation and on startup it crashed. Not a big deal. I deleted everything and installed it in a clean directory and then it worked. Not a real problem just wanted to mention it.

The actual problem though is, that I want to load my test/lockpick map and it doesn't show up. There is no consolewindow anymore (which I like to be rid of it :) ) but DR doesn't give any error or something. It just acts as if I didn't do anything. When I create a new map put something in, save it and load it it works.

So I guess there is something in the old map that it doesn't like, but I don't know what as it doesn't give me any hint.

Gerhard

Hm, I can load the map just fine on my end. It shows up, most textures are loaded. :mellow:

The copy-DR-over-old-version issue is a known one. DarkRadiant tries to load all DLLs in the modules/ folder and if there are any old ones they crash the application (they have the same entry point symbol, but the code is referring to old class interfaces).

Just noticed the console. :) Her is what it has to say:

Loading map from F:/Programme/Doom3/darkmod/maps/test/lockpick.map
Open file F:/Programme/doom3/darkmod/F:/Programme/Doom3/darkmod/maps/test/lockpick.map for read...failure
map load timer:  0.00 second(s) elapsed
--- LoadMapFile ---
F:/Programme/Doom3/darkmod/maps/test/lockpick.map
0	  brushes
0	  patches
0	  entities
MapPositionManager: Could not locate worldspawn entity.

This line is interesting:

[b]Open file F:/Programme/doom3/darkmod/F:/Programme/Doom3/darkmod/maps/test/lockpick.map[/b]

If it really tries to load this then it's clear why it doesn't work, but where does the extra path come from?

EDIT: I just tried to point DR manually to the map (before I used the last map menu entry) and it still gives me that path.

Gerhard

No. I just managed to load the map now. I think what happened is that it stores the paths differently between the versions? I pointed DR to a map that was not in the history. It loaded fine. Then I pointed it back to my lockpick map and suddenly it worked. Now I have two entries in the history menu for the same map. One works and the other not, even though the entry in the menu looks the same path. Weird.

The mod path in the preferences is the one where the map is (without maps obviously :) ).

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

Bit confused how to make a mover door now

In 094 I make a model door and change it to atdm:mover_door. This is how I've always done it. But now it is not visible in-game even though it shows in the editor. if instead I choose a mover door entity then change its skin - that works in game but shows the wrong skin in the editor.

Is the latter is the correct way now to make a door? If the skin thing is fixed in >094 then no problem and I'll catch up at the next update. Probably need to rewrite the A-Z on making a door.

Actually, looking at the main Doors wiki article my original way still seems to be valid so what is the situation? Why is the door not showing in the game?

Rotating a prefab room with func_static brush windows throws their origins into the void. I've tried the button 'rotate func entities round origin' on and off but no different. I guess that is only for actually rotating the entity itself.

I can probably adjust these manually but I foresee difficulties with more complex prefabs. Is this solvable?

See here: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=230

In principle it's solveable, yes. But I need to get a firm grip of the selection/manipulation system code before I can solve that. The transformation code (especially rotation) of entities is very problematic in GtkRadiant/DarkRadiant and entities do not respond consistently to the same rotation commands.

This will need some serious investigation and most probably a lengthy refactoring session. Estimation: at least two weeks.

I see it's already known. After reading that bug report I looked at my torches and they seem OK but probably the model I used itself is actually upright and the torch tilted from the holder. So if a model is actually tilted that too might rotate oddly. I'd better watch that. I suspect not many models are ever tilted but mostly rotated around the Z axis.

Meanwhile I can manage manually. Actually, maybe a quick fix is just to select each window one at a time, revert to worldspawn, then convert to static again! :)

I think there is some misunderstanding about my problem with the entity list size in my post @ http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...st&p=142541

It's not the panel size (though that needs saving as well) but the entity list itself (see the image of waste space in the picture in that post and the tiny entity list.) So this problem is still present in the latest snapshot. :(

I only see 2 or 3 lines of entity properties with a very large empty panel. Does nobody else see that?

I think there is some misunderstanding about my problem with the entity list size in my post @ http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...st&p=142541

It's not the panel size (though that needs saving as well) but the entity list itself (see the image of waste space in the picture in that post and the tiny entity list.) So this problem is still present in the latest snapshot. :(

I only see 2 or 3 lines of entity properties with a very large empty panel. Does nobody else see that?

Hm, I added code for saving the position of the entity inspector panel divider, which was exactly the problem in your screenshot. I tested it locally on my system and it definitely worked.

If it doesn't work for you, please try clearing your user.xml (move it somewhere safe, although I don't think that it is due to the user.xml). If this doesn't help either, please do these steps:

- Open DarkRadiant

- Set your Entity Inspector size like you wish it to be

- Close DarkRadiant (the settings should be stored in the user.xml file now)

- Send me your user.xml so that I can have a look at it.

That's the part I wanted to see:

<entityInspector>
<pane position="219"/>
</entityInspector>

This is the position in pixels of the pane divider. Is this accurate? Can you compare that to a screenshot of your desired position or the position when you exited DarkRadiant?

I see it's writing it but not reading it when it next opens. I used a mouse locator, dragged the pane down to around 600. Closed DR. Opened user.xml and it shows pane position at about 580 something. Open DR again, it shows the default. Close DR. Now user.xml has pane position at 219 again.

Must be something else to do if this works on your system but not mine? Do you have a max that it will not accept? - No, I just tried setting it manually in user.xml to 319 and still DR reverted to 219.

Done. also...

Just added this to bugtracker: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=668 Couldn't see it on there already : Select surface. Convert to func_static. Causes runtime error. I was thinking I'd selected the whole brushes. :rolleyes: I wanted to try some textures over several surfaces and thought a temporary func static would save me reselecting them all one by one each time.