The Dark Mod Forums

New Character Models

Springheel

Yeah, I know what you mean. Most of what turned me off over the summer was yet another model/texture reorg <_<

Yeah, I know. Same for me. That's why I not endorse reorgs for the sake of making them. ;)

They erally killed my enthusiasm, because I was working on some other thing and got interrupted by this boring work. And I didn't even do most of it, because it was mainly greebo who did a lot of it.

Gerhard

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While you're here, Odd, maybe you could help with something I keep running into. I'll occasionally get strange effects on particular polys when making modifications to a mesh. Below you can see that there are a couple polys that are 'smeared' when viewed in game. It seems to be related to the points of the poly appearing more than once on a uvmap--when I select a point, it is highlighted in two different spots or even on two different vertex maps. Welding them works sometimes, and clearing them from the second vertex map works sometimes, but not always. I'm not really sure how the points got mapped twice.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong that causes this effect? I'm still mostly learning as I go, so there's lots of stumbling around in the dark.

triangle.jpg

Yes, it's definitely something to do with the Uv map and how it's welded at the edges, but I can't remember exact details, since it's a long time since I've done anything for the Doom engine.

Try unwelding everything, selecting all the polys from one UV map, use 'copy map' from the Uv panel. You then type in a name for your new UV map and it copies those polys to it. Then you can delete the old one. Do this for both UV maps that have the same vertex in it, and then weld everything again.

edit: I think I maybe fixed problems like this using Deep Exploration. I'd load the lwo in to it, convert it to a maya binary file, load that maya file, convert it to an obj, and then import it back into lw.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new inventor engineer model, based heavily on the existing builder forger. Specifically, I removed the metal collar and rebuilt the chest and apron straps. I added a new collar and some ties from the thief model. Also added some pockets, which are separate meshes that can be removed with nodraw skins. I also made a bare-handed version, with a rolled up sleeve and the bracer from the citywatch. The gloves and hands can be swapped in and out with nodraw skins.

Here are a few examples of engineer looks--with pockets full of scrolls and tools they could be inventor engineers, or without them they could be regular blacksmith characters (again, you'll have to imagine various heads--I haven't done anything with them yet).

engineer1.jpg

The same model can also be used for shopkeeper or baker/butcher, etc, characters. Here are a few examples, with just default textures used for the apron. Specific textures with blood, or whatever, could also easily be made. I've already created at least a dozen different skins, and it's quite easy to replace the apron and gloves with default textures for greater variety.

engineer2.jpg

Wow! Impressive, how just changing the colour of the apron, can make it look so different. :) Nice work Spring! :)

We definitely need a baker hat! :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 3 weeks later...

Oops totally wrong post.

Anyway, I love these model variations :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 3 months later...

I've finished another character model. This "stocky_male" is based on Odd's forger body type, but I made him by reshaping the citywatch torso and arms, which means this character can use any citywatch skin.

With different skins, he can serve as a stocky citywatch or guard, a hired thug, or a generic townsfolk/shopkeeper.

stock1.jpg

Ah, nice one. :)

In the middle picture: the body looks good, but isn't the head a tad too large? It looks so massive, but perhaps it's a perspective issue? It looks good on the citywatch model on the right, though.

isn't the head a tad too large? It looks so massive, but perhaps it's a perspective issue?

The head is the same size in all three pics...it's just the weird perspective distortion that D3 does.

I am actually going to do some new heads. Sometime.

There are a lot of great character portraits in the Louvre which I copy for practice, so you may as well use them.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I am actually going to do some new heads. Sometime.

That would be great. We're pretty short on generic heads (ones without helmets on them).

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another townsfolk model--the wench. This model would be for barmaids, whores, or any other women who might show a little skin. It still needs some texture work here and there but it's essentially done.

wench.jpg

This model doesn't have a detachable head, but it has two different hairstyles built into the model, which can be swapped with nodraw skins (and made various colours) for variety.

It's good - any chance later of some other skins on the same model for general servant or towns person? Maybe raise the bodice to cover the cleavage and a soft bonnet for a servant plus with a shawl over the shoulders for a townswoman. A choice of colours for the skirt etc is also good value for not too much work hopefully.