http://www.moddb.com/mods/devil-behind-the-canvas

It looks gorgeous

I want

but first it has to release

and I need ut3

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

wow, it looks great.

I wonder to what extent the assets that are being made for a lot of these incredible mods will be transferable to TDM, with permission of course. There's just so much great work happening in so many nooks and crannies of cyberspace, I hope an ethos develops where people can share the love so we can all benefit from these great assets, instead of them just staying locked in one mod never to be used again.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I wonder to what extent the assets that are being made for a lot of these incredible mods will be transferable to TDM, with permission of course.

I'm sure the raw textures and models could be ported anywhere. There's probably a good host of creepies that he has modeled/textured/n-mapped already. The idea sounds like it could be VERY cool if its done right.

I think the low poly stuff is there because they do a lot of blurry screen effects, the whole game is kind of hazy.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I doesn't matter, whether it's low, or high poly, it's the final effect that counts, for the players, not designers. And right now it looks better that anything in TDM or TDS that has ever been published. I hope they will be able to finish it someday :)

Edited by Judith

I doesn't matter, whether it's low, or high poly, it's the final effect that counts, for the players, not designers. And right now it looks better that anything in TDM or TDS that has ever been published. I hope they will be able to finish it someday :)

Whether something is "better" is totally subjective, I'm glad you think it's great, I don't agree but that doesn't really matter. You like it, I do to, I just find it technically lacking compared to the work we're doing here, but that doesn't mean it won't look good.:)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

First of all, it's recorded with external camera and that might be somewhat misleading. I'd really like to see it recorded with fraps or sth like that. Second thing - it might be simple bsp and a few static meshes, but those textures look really good - nice use of shader model 3.0 and proper set of lights. There's nothing in public screens or in Thief's Den demo that could be called "even" or "better" in comparison to that, when it comes to visuals. I'm not interested in anything you have on your hard drive :) Because this way I could tell you I managed to achieve stunning visuals with T3ed, and you wouldn't believe me, at least until the whole thing gets released :]

OH SNAP!

Sorry I ever posted this ;-)

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

It's "couldn't care less".

Not in my case. I am emotionally capable of caring less than I do now...which is why I said, ' I could care less'. ;) Yes, I know it's considered 'slang'...but I obviously care to some degree, otherwise I wouldn't be working on a mod with updated graphics, would I? If I were completely indifferent and didn't care in the slightest, then I would have said "I couldn't care less". Again, I am aware it's considered slang...but I couldn't care less.

Not in my case. I am emotionally capable of caring less than I do now...which is why I said, ' I could care less'. ;) Yes, I know it's considered 'slang'...but I obviously care to some degree, otherwise I wouldn't be working on a mod with updated graphics, would I? If I were completely indifferent and didn't care in the slightest, then I would have said "I couldn't care less". Again, I am aware it's considered slang...but I couldn't care less.

Bravo! :wub::laugh:

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Somehow I cant believe you couldn't care less, NH (regardless of funny wordplay in between ;)). I always thought that one of the reasons for making this mod is graphics. Not the main reason, but still... Otherwise, Dromed offers almost all that Thief FM designers could wish for, Mission X is a great example of that (even though it has some bugs). I know that DM utilizes much more complicated sound and AI algorithms, but from the player standpoint CoSaS team did an impressive job here, sufficient for players' needs nowadays, I guess.

Really, I reacted only because of AH's patting himself on the back, a bit of humility while judging or comparing your stuff to other's work is a better, instead of cocky we-already-did-better-but-you-can't-see-it-right-now attitude ;)

Edited by Judith

Somehow I cant believe you couldn't care less, NH (regardless of funny wordplay in between ;)). I always thought that one of the reasons for making this mod is graphics. Not the main reason, but still...

Nope, the main reasons for making this mod were: 1. T3Ed wasn't going to be released at that time. 2. We were dissatisfied with TDS. 3. Being able to port our work to 3 different Operating systems. Our options were the Half Life Engine or Doom 3. Doom 3 won because we were 99% sure that Carmack would release the source code in the not too distant future.

We could have gone with the already open sourced Quake 3 engine, but it's written in C, rather than C++ and I hear that code base is more messy than the D3 source code.

At the end of the day, graphics were just the icing on the cake. What really drew us to this project was the promise of the engine going open source. According to John Carmack, we could see the Doom 3 engine source code released as early as next year. If that's true, we'll be able to optimize a few more things and really have a good understanding of how the renderer works. :)

According to John Carmack, we could see the Doom 3 engine source code released as early as next year.

My understanding is that the source code was supposed to be released earlier; has Carmack given a reason as to why its been delayed? My knowledge of coding and programming is limited at best, but is it very difficult to release source code for a game? or are they holding out longer for other reasons?

What if it never gets released? will the Dark Mod still be on track?

Edited by SplaTtzZ

It will get released. The reason why it was delayed is because Carmack always said that the source code is released when no paying customer is using it anymore, respectivly when the last lizence has expired.

This was the case with the other engines as well. Since Doom 3 is used in one game which is still in production, we have to wait until it is released, and then D3 will also be released.

Gerhard

What if it never gets released? will the Dark Mod still be on track?

As Greebo said, we are not tied to the release of the source code. Having the full source code will simply be an added bonus to the already robust SDK that came with doom 3. When the full source code is released, we'll just be able to revamp a few things that we had to find a work around for....and we'll be able to optimize some things further. Nothing to do with the mod release at all.

Otherwise, Dromed offers almost all that Thief FM designers could wish

I do remember Dromed, and I also do remember the many limits it has. This are not fond memories. So unless FM designers wish quite a lot less than what can be done with the (limited, too) D3 engine and the (limited, too) DarkRadiant, DromEd can't offer "almost all that Thief FM designers could wish".

Or maybe your definition of "almost all" differs greatly from mine :D

(Just nitpicking - I think when TDM is released, people will see how far it has come along. It doesn't mean we can improve it further, tho.)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I do remember Dromed, and I also do remember the many limits it has. This are not fond memories. So unless FM designers wish quite a lot less than what can be done with the (limited, too) D3 engine and the (limited, too) DarkRadiant, DromEd can't offer "almost all that Thief FM designers could wish".

Or maybe your definition of "almost all" differs greatly from mine :D

(Just nitpicking - I think when TDM is released, people will see how far it has come along. It doesn't mean we can improve it further, tho.)

To be fair Tels, Dromed has been hacked and pushed quite a lot. It was truly designed by geniuses. It has been hacked for widescreen, and even high resolution textures...which I find amazing.

That being said, Dark Radiant is only limited by our own time and resources since it's already completely open source. The same will be true of TDM when doom 3 goes open source.

To be fair Tels, Dromed has been hacked and pushed quite a lot. It was truly designed by geniuses. It has been hacked for widescreen, and even high resolution textures...which I find amazing.

I don't know what the later releases of DromEd are like (or if there were even some), but I remember that it crashed often, took loong times to compile maps, and had quite a lot of hard limits (partly due to the editor, partly due to the engine).

Plus, it is forever stuck in the "closed source, can only add hacks" stage.

That being said, Dark Radiant is only limited by our own time and resources since it's already completely open source. The same will be true of TDM when doom 3 goes open source.

Very true, and I do think that people underestimate this quite a lot. Many things can be changed without even touching the code (the def files are just text files), and even if it requires a bit of code support, it can be changed in a short time _properly_, without a hack.

Thief's Den only showed a very small subset of what TDM can do, and we have come (thanx to greebo and angua and all the others tireless efforts) come even further since that.

Just you wait and see :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Plus, it is forever stuck in the "closed source, can only add hacks" stage.

True, but it has certainly proved itself to be exceptionally flexible when compare to T3ED. People were able to write scripts, or use stim/response and jury rig the thing to do tons of stuff it was never intended to do. Limits were pushed to beyond in many cases...and even though things are hacked in, they still work. Says a lot for Dromed. :)