The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Thanks! Was easy enough.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Having issues getting a texture into game. Haven't done a tex yet and for some reason it wont show up in the texture list under decals (or anywhere I can see).

It is a decal.

I copied another decal and pasted my names in.

The diffuse is in dds/darkmod/decals/vegetation and the local is in textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation

textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation/leaves_ring_groundcover

{

nonsolid

noShadows

noimpact

nooverlays

{

blend diffusemap

map textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation/leaves_ring_groundcover

alphaTest 0.5

}

bumpmap textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation/leaves_ring_groundcover_local

// TDM Ambient Method Related

{

if (global5 == 1)

blend add

map textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation/leaves_ring_groundcover

scale 1, 1

red global2

green global3

blue global4

}

{

if (global5 == 2)

blend add

program ambientEnvironment.vfp

vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump

vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular, Z: ambient reflection scale

vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1

vertexParm 3 0

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1

fragmentMap 1 textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation/leaves_ring_groundcover_local // Bump

fragmentMap 2 textures/darkmod/decals/vegetation/leaves_ring_groundcover // Diffuse

fragmentMap 3 // Specular

}

}

--edit

Yeah, spent another long session trying to troubleshoot this, why is everything so F'N hard?

I've got this decal AND texture set up exactly like decals and textures in those mtr files, and yet I can't even get the damn name to show up in the editor. Frustrating, I thought modelling the leafs was gonna be the hard part.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Shows in the list here OK. The only change I made was to remove that space in the top line but I assume that is a forum error.

Other possibilities:

Did you reload shaders in DR or relaunch DR?

Have you put the mtr file in the correct path that is accessible to DR's game folder(s)?

Unreal,

I put a new copy of DR into my SVN doom HD and had set the game parameters to point there for that copy.

But that made my other copy (I use with 1.02) point to the SVN also.

Is this a DR bug, can I not have two instals pointing to different directories?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Not a bug but the engine path is set in user.xml so it cannot be put in a shortcut. I got round this by creating a shortcut to user.xml and put it on the desktop. Whenever I want to change the doom engine path I click this and change this line then resave it:

<enginePath value="G:/doom3TDM1/"/>

The user.xml is found in:

<drive (C:usually)>\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant\user.xml

For the updated Return to the City, I am planning to stick with the original design, which exclusively uses desaturated lights. This is easy enough to do for lights I place myself, but those spawned indirectly by entities (for example, candles) are a problem. Digging around in the PK4s, it looks like the values are controlled in tdm_lights.def. I extracted this file into a custom def folder in my TDM install and got to work. Entries look like this:

entitydef light_candleflame
{
"inherit"				"light_extinguishable"

"editor_usage"			"Static extinguishable candle flame. (Light origin does not move to simulate flickering)"

"mins" "-1 -1 -2"
"maxs" "1 1 2"

// tels: does not work
//"clipmodel_contents" "131088" // CONTENTS_RESPONSE|CONTENTS_MOVEABLECLIP
"clipmodel_contents" "131072" // CONTENTS_RESPONSE
// CONTENTS_MOVEABLECLIP BIT(5)

"model_lit" 			"tdm_fire_candle_glare.prt"
"model_extinguished"	"tdm_smoke_candleout.prt"

"falloff"				"0"
"texture"				"lights/biground_candleflicker"
"_color"				"0.80 0.6 0.23"
"light_radius"			"130 130 110"

"snd_lit"				""
"snd_extinguished"		"tdm_candle_extinguish"

// Override the inherited STIM_FIRE values 
// The number must correspond to the number of the inherited STIM_FIRE!
"sr_radius_4"		"5"
"sr_magnitude_4"	"0.1"
}

I assumed what I wanted was contained in

"_color"				"0.80 0.6 0.23"

standing for Hue/Saturation/Value. However, bumping down the first two values to 0.0 doesn't work in the game - rather, I get some weird discolouration (see image). What could be wrong here?

post-2023-128432649263_thumb.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

"_color" "0.80 0.6 0.23"

standing for Hue/Saturation/Value. However, bumping down the first two values to 0.0 doesn't work in the game - rather, I get some weird discolouration (see image). What could be wrong here?

_color uses RGB

If you remove red and green you're only left with blue.

The lower the blue is, the dimmer the light is.

The easiest way to 'get' the right colour is just to make a light in DR, go to the colour selection and change r/g/b to 0 and then increase the 'value'... value until you reach the amount you want. ('value' just changes the r/g/b values uniformly. keeping the greyscale achieved by setting rgb to 0)

Also you can just move the def to your fm folder, it should apply it in the same way and allow you to release it... however it could also completely break in later releases :D

Thank you!

Also you can just move the def to your fm folder, it should apply it in the same way and allow you to release it... however it could also completely break in later releases :D

What do you mean by "it could also completely break"? If it is FM-specific, shouldn't it be independent of later changes?

Not studied this but if you just want to change the color and radius of any of the existing entity lights such as candles you use the set property. So it might be eg,

set light_radius on flame 222 222 222

set _color on flame 0.7 0.6 0.5

There are other key words for flame depending on the entity. I think it's on the wiki.

Maybe I've misunderstood and you are doing something different.

Yes, try the set function.

What do you mean by "it could also completely break"? If it is FM-specific, shouldn't it be independent of later changes?

He means you sometimes *need* later changes, because other things in the game may also change along with them, so those things would break if you're independent .def isn't updating.

For future reference (since you may not have to use the .def), the common way you get around that is to make a custom .def that inherits the Dark Mod .def (that gets updated) and just add your one little change.

That would look like this:

entitydef light_candleflame_custom
{
       "inherit"                               "light_candleflame"

"_color"                                "0.80 0.6 0.23"

}

Then just put the new "light_candleflame_custom" entity in your FM (not light_candleflame).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The sewer hatch prefab I made has a very narrow shaft but it is non-solid so the player partly clips into it. This way it gives a sense of being very narrow which is more realistic imo. In addition the ladder itself is non-solid and the ladder brush is behind it. If you have perhaps added a longer ladder then you need to give it the property solid 0. In the image below the highlighted shaft and opening are one entity which must be solid 0 plus the ladder. All the rest is solid of course.

post-400-128472490993_thumb.jpg

All this seems so complicated to an old head like me maybe I'm just not cut out for making missions and this sort of thing. I downloaded DR to try it out and get something like 'the fs_ game folder does not exist.the fs_game base folder does not exist etc' . How can I correct this. And where is the 'maps' folder in Dark Mod or do I have to create one? Sorry to be so basic amongst all this high technical jargon, maybe I should adopt the lazy approach and just enjoy other folks' creations !

In Dark Radiant go to the edit menu and select Preferences. Click on 'game' in the list. Enter darkmod in the mod_base box on the right. Leave the mod fs_game box empty. Click OK.

I think Dark Radiant will create the maps folder automatically but if not just create it in the darkmod folder.

Here's a list of the controls in Dark Radiant:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Dark_Radiant_Controls%2C_Keys_%26_Mouse

Here's an A-Z guide to get you started:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Start_Here%21

Good luck! :)

Do you have the correct tool selected? The light shouldn't move around if you have the light selected and the resize tool is being used to grad around in ortho-view. The light should not move when using the resize tool unless you are clicking directly on the small light icon in the center.

Do you have the correct tool selected? The light shouldn't move around if you have the light selected and the resize tool is being used to grad around in ortho-view. The light should not move when using the resize tool unless you are clicking directly on the small light icon in the center.

It probably was that. Now it doesn't happen anymore. I was quite tired that day :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...