The Dark Mod Forums

Head Selection UI

I started working on a custom TDM editing plug-in for DarkRadiant. As first feature, this contains a custom Property Editor which plugs itself in the EntityInspector module:

head_selector.png

It requires a certain keyvalue to be set on all head entityDefs. All entities with "editor_head" "1" are listed in this UI.

Very cool! :)

Does this mean "editor use" comments will work on heads? It would be handy to establish which heads typically belong to which character types.

One slight wrench...it looks like the editor is not displaying def_attached objects, like the priest's hat? That could be slightly confusing when choosing AI with headgear. Or is that something that can be added?

Does this mean "editor use" comments will work on heads? It would be handy to establish which heads typically belong to which character types.

Not yet.

One slight wrench...it looks like the editor is not displaying def_attached objects, like the priest's hat? That could be slightly confusing when choosing AI with headgear. Or is that something that can be added?

Displaying def-attached entity is a lot of work, this functionality doesn't exist yet.

Displaying def-attached entity is a lot of work, this functionality doesn't exist yet.

Ah, ok. Pity. Most AI with headgear have it def_attached, rather than part of the mesh, so some heads will look identical in the preview window even though they're wearing different head-gear in game.

Still, this is lightyears ahead of where we were. :)

Don't know if this is at all practical, but is there any way of displaying a static .jpg image of the selected head? I've collected .jpgs of all our existing heads anyway for the wiki page...that could be a stop-gap measure for displaying how the head would look in a map.

Excellent work Greebo!

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I started working on a custom TDM editing plug-in for DarkRadiant. As first feature, this contains a custom Property Editor which plugs itself in the EntityInspector module:

post-406-1252839662_thumb.png

It requires a certain keyvalue to be set on all head entityDefs. All entities with "editor_head" "1" are listed in this UI.

Wow!

It takes the tediousness out of of mapmaking, and makes it a more enjoyable creative process... awesome job.

• 1 month later...

Hi! How is work on Head Selection UI going? I also think it's a great feature.

btw. how hard would it be to go one step farther and displaying actual body with a head, as it's not only about choosing the right head but also choosing the head that matches nicely rest of the body.

For now you can use startpack which has all AI already created with virtually every suitable combination of head and body in groups, eg, armed commoners, builders, etc. Include it in your map. You select the head you want (which is either on or next to a suitable body. Click def_head. Now select the body and paste the def_head property. Clone or move the AI to where you want in your map.

Mmmm...not sure who's speaking to who but just to clarify, my post was referring to startpack which shows which heads go with which bodies. With DR at the moment I think you can select any head so need to go to the wiki to see which ones are appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

I always use your startpack for stuff Fidcal :) terrific re fences in there for a forgetful fella such as myself.

I think visual things like this help a ton. It would be really cool if we had a full custom input AI gui. For example you could preview the AI and change his head, body, voice, weapon and attatch objects with the simple clicks of a GUI.

The head selector is good though but it needs a matching method like skins. Maybe some extra data could be added without breaking existing maps to link which heads are suitable for which bodies. The selector then defaults to showing matching heads (or 'suitable heads whatever) plus you can also select 'show all heads'.

A cheap fix for the 'attachments' might be to include in that data the models attached (even if they are not technically attached but part of the mesh there are mostly equivalent separate models.) Then maybe the selector could show those somehow even if not actually on the shown head. Maybe the thumbnail that I think Springheel suggested is an alternative.