Photo

Fan Mission: The Knighton Manor by Sotha (2010/11/09)

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

Poll: Fan Mission: The Knighton Manor by Sotha (2010/11/09) (86 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (1 votes [1.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.16%

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Good (17 votes [19.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.77%

4. Excellent (46 votes [53.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.49%

5. Near Perfect (22 votes [25.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.58%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

2. Tolerable (2 votes [2.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. Good (29 votes [33.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.72%

4. Excellent (35 votes [40.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.70%

5. Near Perfect (19 votes [22.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.09%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (1 votes [1.16%] - View)

3. Good (25 votes [29.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.07%

4. Excellent (46 votes [53.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.49%

5. Near Perfect (13 votes [15.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:43 AM

Damn, so there was capital letters I overlooked. Does this mean that your specific Linux distro d3 ignores material files with capital letters??

Yesh, since usually D3 cannot tell that "FooBar.Baz" should be the file "fooBar.Baz", "foobar.baz" or any other combination thereof. An exception is if you specify as asset "Foobar" and there is an all lowercase file "foobar", then D3 will load this as a sort of last-resort. But if you specify "f.bar" and the file is named "F.bar" D3 has no chance.

(I wonder tho why it didn't load "Custom.mtr" as these files are not referenced, so it should just load all mtr files it finds. Strange)

As for the dmap, this is an unsolved mystery, some maps need a dmap on linux, some not, and so far we don't know why. Bikerdudes missions didn't need a dmap for me on Linux. Maybe it has to do with the map file being "Foo.map" vs. "foo.map", too?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#52 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5664 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:51 AM

Maybe it has to do with the map file being "Foo.map" vs. "foo.map", too?

Nope, since in this mission the mapname is lowercase as are all it's attached buddies (meaning the aas32, cm and proc). They're all lowercase. :wacko:
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#53 Aprilsister

Aprilsister

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:40 AM

I notice one thing thats a little inconsistent is that some of the various refernces are to knighton_manor and others to knightons_manor.

#54 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5664 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

I notice one thing thats a little inconsistent is that some of the various refernces are to knighton_manor and others to knightons_manor.

Oh, the map file names are knightonS_manor and the workname was "knightonS manor".

I renamed the mission to The Knighton Manor just before releasing, because the latter felt more correct. It would have been error prone to go and start renaming the files simply because of a name correction.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#55 Mr Lemony Fresh

Mr Lemony Fresh

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:50 AM

Very nice Sotha :) a solid mission.

My favourite parts were the alarm puzzle and the sleeping guy with the bottle :) very nice.

Did get a save crash once, and at another time i got an error that took me back to the menu that was something about 2 instances of the same un-moveable body can't exist.
Posted Image

#56 Tels

Tels

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15024 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Nope, since in this mission the mapname is lowercase as are all it's attached buddies (meaning the aas32, cm and proc). They're all lowercase. :wacko:

Just a shot into the dark, maybe the directory where the PK4 is in must be all lowercase, too? or the PK4 name (it is already,hm.). Puzzling.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

#57 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:15 AM

What a fine mission! Thank you! It is so rewarding to finish a mission without cheating (e.g. looking here for spoilers) AND finding all the secrets (which were secret enough, although I found 'em :P). I most enjoyed the background information and the social interaction (if you know what I mean: The guards and servants were not just AI walking around - I like and dislike some of them - that's so cool!). Two Thumbs up!

#58 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the mission. Loved the cool skybox, bemoaned the fact I couldn't go there heh, loved the object interaction (like w/ the golden wheel, although I didn't figure out you could
Spoiler
) and inventor's guild stuff.

With this mission and St. Alban's it seems like the inventor's guild is getting a lot of attention/backstory as a faction.

#59 PranQster

PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

The .tga files for the skybox are in the env-folder in the knighton manor pk4-file. There is no DR editor preview image for the texture at all.

Ok, that explains my confusion.

pranqname.gif Linux pranqster 4.14.44-desktop-1.mga7 #1 SMP Fri May 25 18:06:35 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#60 PranQster

PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

... although I didn't figure out you could

Spoiler

Heh, that would have been easier than what I did.
Spoiler

pranqname.gif Linux pranqster 4.14.44-desktop-1.mga7 #1 SMP Fri May 25 18:06:35 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#61 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:57 AM

Another great mission but it took a while to finish because the game crashed several times when I tried to save. :(

#62 jaxa

jaxa

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1419 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

Another great mission but it took a while to finish because the game crashed several times when I tried to save. :(

I had that happen to me just one time towards the end of the mission. Coincidence?

#63 PranQster

PranQster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:05 PM

I had that happen to me just one time towards the end of the mission. Coincidence?

Were the guards on alert (or had been recently) when you saved? I had no crashes, but caused no alerts. But that has happened to me before in other FMs.

#64 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

Congrats on an excellent mission Sotha.Posted Image Ended up doing it twice as I finished the first time before I realized itPosted Image and missed so much loot had to do it again. Now have to go back and find 2 more loot.

I really liked the
Spoiler

Enjoy your break but come back soon we'll miss you and your cleverness.

#65 Thiefette

Thiefette

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

Just found the last 2 (thanks PranQster for the
Spoiler
Oh well finished with all the loot. I love it.Posted Image

#66 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

Nice little mission!

Good Visual, the Manor look very good and realistic. Gameplay very good too, but, for my taste, a little bit too simple to complete.

I liked a lot:
Spoiler

As always: bravo Sotha! :-D

#67 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

I really enjoyed this one! As much as I truly love 'epic story' FMs, what drew me into Thief in the first place was sneaking into someone's mansion and robbing them blind. This was perfect for that. :) The intro was great:
Spoiler

I wound up 166 shy on loot, and browsing this thread I have to ask...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks for an enjoyable FM, Sotha, and I wish you a relaxing break, but hope that it won't be too terribly long before you're back and giving us more excellent thieving. :)

#68 fraten

fraten

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:56 AM

Spoiler

You might want to search the cellar again. There is one room with some broken chairs. Go and clear the room out.
Spoiler

#69 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

You might want to search the cellar again. There is one room with some broken chairs. Go and clear the room out.

Spoiler

I do believe I found that.

Spoiler

I found that...but that had nothing to do with
Spoiler

which is what made me go ... o.O ... O.o ... and ask for a spoiler.
Am I still missing something?

Edited by Shaz, 19 November 2010 - 03:36 PM.

#70 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:10 AM

I do believe I found that.

Spoiler

I found that...but that had nothing to do with
Spoiler

which is what made me go ... o.O ... O.o ... and ask for a spoiler.
Am I still missing something?

I was speaking about

Spoiler

#71 Summer

Summer

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

As always, Sotha, your missions are done by the gameplay is king approach. I voted excellent on all counts because I found the mission to match my playing type and style to a tee.

A lot of guards made the situations tense more than once. The visuals were ok, but had some new features, which I liked, such as the half-moon shaped balcony. Story came out little by little, from notes and diaries more than conversations, but they made it clear that beside the main story other things were happening too at the same time - just like in real life. The puzzles were fun to try and experiment with.

Nice medium-sized mission, Sotha! Posted Image I hope your hiatus from TDM won't last too long...

#72 lowenz

lowenz

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

Blackjacking Spree in courtyard! Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7DNZeXr0tjI

Edited by lowenz, 21 November 2010 - 07:56 PM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#73 Ishtvan

Ishtvan

Programmer

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14860 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:52 AM

Awesome mission! This back that classic mansion heist feeling, and I agree with Sotha that not every mission needs a sinister plot twist. The story here was just right.

Played it tonight in a Thomas Porter double feature, right after the Glenham Tower.

Spoiler

Attached File  MissionStats.jpg   215.04KB   21 downloads

#74 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:25 AM

Blackjacking Spree in courtyard! Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7DNZeXr0tjI

I like these videos about TDM!

Also very useful to improve my gameplay and discover different way to enter the manor :-D

Spoiler

Spoiler

I agree :-D

Edited by Ladro, 22 November 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#75 lowenz

lowenz

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:47 AM

I like these videos about TDM!

Pleasure is mine ;)

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users