Photo

Fan Mission: Crystal Grave v2 (by ERH+ and Bikerdude) (2013/02/09)

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Crystal Grave v2 (2013/02/09) (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

1. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Tolerable (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Good (15 votes [57.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.69%

4. Excellent (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

5. Near Perfect. Outstanding. (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing ect.

2. Tolerable (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Good (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

4. Excellent (16 votes [61.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

5. Near Perfect. Outstanding. (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

2. Tolerable (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

3. Good (11 votes [42.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

4. Excellent (9 votes [34.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

5. Near Perfect. Outstanding. (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

POPULAR

2L7kVQG.png

Intro:
"East of the Rahen Mountain, there is a swampy area, a backwater of river Rahna. Approximately twenty years ago the Inventors Guild began their effort to secure the rights to the land and presented the construction projects of water dams and locks in endeavour to create a water trails for flat-bottomed vessels.
The prospect of increased economic exchange between the plains and the mountain settlements prevailed over the objections of displeased neighbours and just five years later the water level in ponds allowed for flow of barges.
Good mood of the local lord diminished though, as more and more crops and farms disappeared under the water, wells began to stink, and dysentery started to collect a heavy toll.
Guild excuses that thawing and hardship of communication with lock's staff was to blame didn't resolve the crisis. What did, was a compensation - a one-off shipment of nearly half a ton of rock crystals. This aroused comments among people not normally interested in the Inventors and their dealings.
People like me.
The trail leads to one of inaccessible facilities of the bulkhead oversight in the network of ponds, where, the crystals are mined, pre-processed and sorted out.

Several months later...
Crossing the flooded and deserted five furlongs in one-man boat was risky enough, but I took my chances and tried to take the boat through the lock, to be closer to the guardhouse. The bulkhead mechanism was too complicated for one person to operate though.
Now I don't have the means to go back and water scattered my equipment all over the pond. And with no boat the only way back is a walk along the causeway towards the mountains, but for that I will need to get a good supply of food and water, so not to loose my strength carrying the loot."

Description:
Break in into castle infested by undead.

TDM Team for great tool and their dedication in improving it.
Bikerdude for working out all bugs, optimisation, improving graphics and readables details.
Caer (from Polish Thief forum) for translating.
Testers: AluminumHaste, Baddcog, lowenz, nbohr1more, adriannn (PTF), Nivellen (PTF).

Build time:
Basic playable version 1,5 months, final release after 1 year.

Update info:
Unbelievable how long it was under construction, but I hope you will enjoy exploring this mission :) .
Can't name all things added to previous version -just tons of them.

Known issues:
Low performance in few spots. Game sometimes freeze a bit in area around building.

Edited by ERH+, 17 June 2016 - 07:58 PM.

• Bikerdude, AluminumHaste, Jesps and 5 others like this

S2wtMNl.gif

#2 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9102 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Congrats on the release :)

I've got some promotional work to do now...

Dropbox Mirror:

https://dl.dropbox.c...stalgravev2.pk4

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/crystalgravev2.pk4

Mission Page is up:

http://www.thedarkmo...ndetails/?id=67

http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/?id=67

Screenshots... soonish...

Edited by nbohr1more, 08 February 2013 - 10:29 PM.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#3 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Uploading to official mirrors now, will post links on the mission page shortly.

#4 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

I hope all of you enjoy this mission!

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#5 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Just started and have a question - should there be more than one page of the intro as all I get is this
Attached File  crystalgrave_2013-02-09_11.54.23.jpg   218.11KB   10 downloads

Edited by Oldjim, 09 February 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

Just started and have a question - should there be more than one page of the intro as all I get is this

ERH has done the briefing in a different to the usual, be patient and wait for the briefing pages to change automatically.

#7 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I shouldn't be so impatient :blush:
Couple of nit picking minor points
"sited mechanical failure" should be "cited mechanical failure"
Spoiler
No further comments until I have finished it on the hardest setting or I have got completely stuck

#8 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

No further comments until I have finished it on the hardest setting or I have got completely stuck

Bare in mind, this is ERH's mission and he isn't a native english speaker. I did work on the readables, but there is only so much that can be done without changing the way the original author intended it.

#9 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6222 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Congrats on the mission re-release! I played the original and loved it, beta testing this one was a treat.

Mission downloader levelshots added.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#10 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Nearly finished on the hardest setting - I will need to go round again as I am missing one piece of food
Overall impression is that it is fairly easy in terms of avoiding haunts but there are so many different ways of getting to places some of which are not at all obvious so it retains the interest
Spoiler
I really liked the mirrors - I found the first one in the tomb and it was a bit of a surprise coming face to face with myself. One thing amused me is the slight lag between changing to crouch and the image in the mirror following
A couple of minor glitches
The keys #20040 and key #20039 aren't correctly identified
Overall a really nice mission - I will rate it once I have finished it

#11 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Well I am stuck - obviously I am missing something because I never found out what the brass key was for but the real problem is food - one missing
Do not look at this spoiler unless you are really stuck with looking for the food
Spoiler

Having played it again and finding a load of new ways of getting to places I am even more impressed with this mission for its flexibility and complexity.

#12 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

You know, even I cant remember what all the keys were for. ERH will be along shortly to answer that particular question :-D

Yup, ERH does love his nooks and crannies, oh wait isnt that me? damn my crown hath been stolen...LOL

#13 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm REALLY loving this mission, but I've come across a game-crashing issue (which I might be able to sneak past). In the hallway
Spoiler
I'm not sure if it's due to me attempting to pick one up, or just me getting too close. I'm going to try just to slip past and avoid the issues totally, but I thought I'd point out that it's a potential problem.

Also, I read really fast and I had no idea the briefing continued. Oops.

The only other questionable thing is the keys labeled as (pulling from memory, I might be off) #str_0039 (or some such). 2 of the 6 or so keys I have at the moment are labeled as such, while the others have actual names (brass key, old chest key, etc.) Were these oddly numbered keys supposed to actually have names?

Anyway, I'm off to attempt to slip past the aforementioned issue and continue on. I absolutely love the multitude of routes in this mission!

Edited by Shaz, 09 February 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#14 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

*#str_0039 (green key) #str_0040 (silver key) looks like repetitive issue but i was thought we got rid of it. It can't be file working from DR/TDM instalation instead of mission.pk4 , or can it?
*Mine trap is just an armed piece of equipment -no trigger zones... Someone else have this problem? And as far as I know you can not picklock an armed mine.
*some of keys are not necessary, but here is a list:
Spoiler

*last piece of food is
Spoiler

Edited by ERH+, 09 February 2013 - 08:25 PM.

• Jon Irenicus likes this

S2wtMNl.gif

#15 quakis

quakis

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'm REALLY loving this mission, but I've come across a game-crashing issue (which I might be able to sneak past). In the hallway

Spoiler
I'm not sure if it's due to me attempting to pick one up, or just me getting too close. I'm going to try just to slip past and avoid the issues totally, but I thought I'd point out that it's a potential problem.

Thought I'd mention that I also had this happen to me, except it just crashed to desktop. Thought it was strange since TDM rarely ever crashes. Didn't become a game breaker though and got past it.

Edited by quakis, 09 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#16 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

*#str_0039 (green key) #str_0040 (silver key) looks like repetitive issue but i was thought we got rid of it. It can't be file working from DR/TDM instalation instead of mission.pk4 , or can it?

With the amount of beta testing we did, I could have sworn we caught and found all the items showing up incorrectly in-game - bah.

Regarding the crashing, none of our testers, ERH or myself experienced this. Whats specs are your machine's? and what error did it through up if any..?

#17 The Elusive One

The Elusive One

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

Great mission, but i'm stuck. I can only find 6 crystals and i have absolutely no clue where the missing ones are. Please help.

#18 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

There are 9 crystals:
Spoiler

• Jon Irenicus likes this

S2wtMNl.gif

#19 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

Regarding the last piece of food -
Spoiler
About the mines - I managed to pick up one and used it on the steam beast just to see what would happen. One of the others couldn't be picked up (it just exploded) and the rest didn't seem to do anything

Edited by Oldjim, 10 February 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#20 ERH+

ERH+

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Regarding the last piece of food -

Spoiler

Spoiler

About the mines - I managed to pick up one and used it on the steam beast just to see what would happen. One of the others couldn't be picked up (it just exploded) and the rest didn't seem to do anything

Yes, one is armed, one you can pick and use, and rest are just static models.

S2wtMNl.gif

#21 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Re last food item
Now how did I miss that :blush: I must have been past there at least 6 times looking

Overall impression
A really well crafted mission which was a delight to play.
If you have been following the discussion about maps you will see that I rarely use them - this was a mission where I didn't in part at least because I didn't need to as I just explored each floor as I found it.
Readables -
I read the ones I found but I didn't need to as things were fairly obvious including the tools which I investigated to see why the area was lit up
Keys -
I didn't get them all but that wasn't a problem as I found the ones I needed
Access to the castle -
I liked the other option (other than lock picking)
Story -
The initial description was good for setting the scene and carried through into the objectives.
Questions -
Spoiler

Frame rate -
Spoiler

Loot items -
I had no problem with the general loot objective on hardest
Crystals -
No problem in finding them all but it was good that they could be seen from a distance otherwise one would have been almost impossible
Food -
No problems with three of them as they were in places where you would expect them. The last one (where I needed a specific hint :blush: ) was in a totally non obvious or logical place and must have been put there just to make it difficult :blink: - that was the only part where a got a bit annoyed
Graphics - I don't go around looking for minor glitches
Spoiler

Overall - An excellent mission

Edited by Oldjim, 10 February 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#22 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5713 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

I've just finished this one on the highest difficulty level. The first thing I want to say is congrats on the release. This was a good mission, and I thought about posting a little review here (contains spoilers).
Spoiler

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#23 Shaz

Shaz

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Regarding the crashing, none of our testers, ERH or myself experienced this. Whats specs are your machine's? and what error did it through up if any..?

Not sure if you just want basic specs, so I'll just toss a few out: Intel Core i5-2500k @3.30GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Windows 7 x64, 8GB Ram

The game locks up/stops responding. I have to hit the windows key to bring up the screen that gives me a list of options including bringing up task manager as CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing. The 'error message' is just the generic pop-up 'application has stopped responding' one, and attempting to shut down the game ('end the process') by selecting that option on the pop-up also does nothing.

I just avoided going near the things and especially attempting to use any of them and I was able to continue on fine, though. Well, except now I'm spending way too much time trying to find the last 35 loot I need to be able to finish the mission. Arrrrrgh.

#24 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

I finished this on expert and I liked it. The location and story premise were interesting. The mission looked good and performed well. I only voted "tolerable" on gameplay (which is a bit harsch maybe). But playing on expert difficulty I expect challenging AI and not a hunt for hidden stuff with no hints how to find it. Having to look online where the last item is when you have done everything else is not fun.
Spoiler

The mission was otherwise very good apart from the easily evaded AI.
Spoiler

#25 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I have enjoyed this mission very much, so much that I have given it a top rating in every category. In my mind, this is how a great medium/large-sized TDM looks like. The amount of care that went into details and neat little touches is nothing but stunning, with the use of stock resources to create creepy scenes, and the various pieces of machinery being especially notable. The mission flat out dispels some of the assumptions about the mod -- it has a huge exterior part, and only produces a slowdown very occasionally. And with such a huge presence from the outset, scaling the tower and defeating its challenges really feels like an epic undertaking. This mission has scale. It also has non-linearity up the wazoo. The various ways you can get around both inside and outside is exemplary, and everyone who makes maps ought to take notice. I also liked the secrets; in fact, the sense of discovery reminded me of The Enterprise, a very old mission (which has been released for both Thief games), and I mean it as the highest form of praise.

People who point out the sneaking is too easy are IMO missing the point - we are almost all very experienced Thief players, so of course it is going to be easy. There is no way around that. But this mission has lots of immersive stuff, visual storytelling, interesting non-standard objectives and creatively designed AI. Its weaknesses are that clues are maybe too thin, and object hunting can become too drawn-out on higher difficulties... but, well, that's what higher difficulties are for. And really, there is so much to praise that it should cancel out the criticism.

One thing I could not figure out:
Spoiler

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users