• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#26 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

Thought i necroed that topic for model showcasing.

I got a question beside the picture.
It seems that the model gets over-smoothed when it gets into DR. Whatever smoothing options i take in lightwave (low threshold, higher, no smoothing at all) it turns out like this. Have anyone met this problem before, or know a solution?
I think i might have seen models in the game previously that looked like oversmoothed, but it may have been modeler's choice.

Yesterday i had a similar problem but it was the opposite, the model didnt want to apply any smoothing, and was completely edgy.
I did solve this : It turned out the imported models (as i use lightwave only for the export process to d3) had some of its vertices broken, i put a weld points on it, and it worked from that point, and it worked exactly how it was setup.

This is the legged version of This telescope 's base, i also did a closed version and one where you can custom place the legs height ( i am not sure if that will ever turn out useful )

Attached Files

Edited by _Atti_, 15 May 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#27 OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7501 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

I did solve this : It turned out the imported models (as i use lightwave only for the export process to d3) had some of its vertices broken, i put a weld points on it, and it worked from that point, and it worked exactly how it was setup.

That's your solution. You need to unweld the faces that you don't want to be smoothed.

#28 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

Ah, thanks:)

thought it's what i set up in the lightwave with the smoothtreshold counts. So its like everything will be smoothed as long as they are welded. Thanks again.

#29 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

Bacon:)
if this is it? I searched but couldnt find any pics of the thing i know using that name until i typed it in hungarian:'szalonna'
So what's this type of bacon called in english?

Attached Files

Edited by _Atti_, 15 May 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#30 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

Is that supposed to be a slab of pork, perhaps? I think it would need more polys for a TDM environment.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#31 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Well it's usually cut orderly like This

#32 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

Huh, I guess that's pretty accurate then. I've never seen anything quite like it, so I wouldn't know what to make of it in a game.
TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle   *   A Reputation to Uphold   *   A New Job   *    A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules   *   Speedbuild Challenge   *   New Mappers Workshop  *   Building Traps

#33 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 16054 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

Are these models meant to be a contribution or is this for your own FM (or both)? In case you contribute them, just upload the files and I (or somebody else) will take care of uploading them to SVN (with credits of course) so that they show up in TDM 1.03.

#34 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:24 AM

Hm both, but i think they will sooner appear in 1.03 or even 1.04 than in my FM:) So i will upload them once there's a few of them. I am already in the credits among modelers, i was teammember once:)

#35 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 16054 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:08 AM

I hope I'm not telling you something you already know, but make sure you add a low-poly collision mesh to your object. If the polycount of your regular model goes above the thousands it's also advisable to add a simplified shadow mesh.

#36 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

It's good you reminded, i haven't done those yet.

I created two variants of pepper, wanted to create a working multiple skin model.
noselfshadow already applied, its a bit obviously flat but i think this would be too expensive in 3d. Or it would require a much more cleverly modeled/uv-d object that i didnt want to spend time with atm.

Attached Files

Edited by _Atti_, 16 May 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#37 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:49 PM

I created two variants of pepper, wanted to create a working multiple skin model.

Nice! I always wanted more hanging spices/herbs to go with the garlic, but never got around to making them. :)

#38 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thanks:), i am about to revisit the garlic with a bit of modified mesh and a skin to make an onion variation, but

Where is the material file for models originally located in darkmod? which pk4? I could not find it, only the materials of brush textures.

Ps: I wanted to know this so i could find the diffuse for the garlic, but now i figured the diffuse is in dds.
Reminds me of having to convert diffuses to dds. Can .dds handle alpha channels?

Edited by _Atti_, 16 May 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#39 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

Excellent!

You can find the model local/editor images at : tdm_models02.pk4\models\darkmod\props\texture and the diffuses in tdm_models02.pk4\dds\models\darkmod\props\textures

Just remember to use the skinning options if you arn't actually editing the meshes.

RE: DDS
Yes, it can handle an alpha channel, however Doom3 only likes to deal with explicit alpha (DXT3), meaning theres no real love for blending/transparency without fiddling a bit in the material file(translucency can then be enabled, but its quite messy). The easiest way is to find a similar material elsewhere and check the material shader (you can just right click it in DR) for how they do it. You will most likely need to just use an alpha test value.

#40 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Thanks:), yes i found those earlier, the dds only some mins ago. But what i still dont know is where the material files are for the models?
(pic of onion comes soon)

#41 Serpentine

Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2903 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

tdm_models_decls01.pk4\materials
tdm_models_decls01.pk4\skins

should be what you're looking for :)

#42 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

Ah , thanks. Never would've figured out:)

Here is the onion.

ps:will edit the specular so it tiles correctly, i did correct the diffuse just thought(wrong) that the spec will work out as is.

Attached Files

Edited by _Atti_, 16 May 2010 - 05:13 PM.

• SiyahParsomen likes this

#43 ungoliant

ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

niiiice Posted Image

#44 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

Very nice. Finally we'll be able to have well-stocked larders. :)

#45 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

Not much to see today, but that skin for the curtain is now in .dds!:) Yesterday i still used .tga for the onion as .dds convert turned it blackish, but went for the tut and now they are working. Also, now as i could take a look at the original material files i discovered that model materials can have a simple name and not have to point to their path like how textures are set up..
(i remembered as it was using paths back then)

Attached Files

• SiyahParsomen likes this

#46 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16703 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:08 AM

Hooray! I've been meaning to make more skins for the curtains forever but never got round to it.

Those onions are unbelievable! Makes my eyes water just to look at them. :laugh:

#47 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

Do you still have a SVN account, Atti, or do you want some help uploading these?

#48 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20175 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Hooray!

I second that, It will be nice to have other types of curtain to use...

Edited by Bikerdude, 18 May 2010 - 08:27 AM.

#49 _Atti_

_Atti_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

i think i will prepare them in a pack once it could be called a pack, or if you need it sooner i could pack it up nowadays.
I don't know if i still got svn but i was never really good with it so i would be happy if you helped.
All the mats for these are in one separate material file, if i pack it up should i distribute them in their correct place in the mods .mat files?

#50 Springheel

Springheel

• Admin
  • 37376 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

It's ok to leave them in the same file for now, but if you could group them together by type, it will make it easier for me to copy and paste them into the correct files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users