The Dark Mod Forums

Accolades and comments

saracoth

Wish I'd noticed it was out sooner. I figured there'd be some big announcement on ttlg/etc. like there was for the nameless mod :)

My experience so far has been extremely smooth and almost completely issue free. I'm certainly looking forward to the future of TDM FMs. TDM has a very Thief-like look and feel to it. I don't doubt that the five years it took to get here were well spent. Every basic gameplay element from mantling to lockpicking fits so well and has a polished feel. I found myself reaching for the Thief 1/2 lockpick function keys out of habit, because it felt like I was playing Thief again.

As some have commented, I found melee combat to be difficult, but I'm not complaining. I found one-on-one combat to be possible but not easy, which I think is a good starting point as someone not yet used to the combat system.

Like a previous poster, I was unaware that bodies could be shouldered. The training mission failed to teach me, but then again, a misstep on my part lured that particular guard out of hiding to investigate. I blackjacked and hid him before reaching the section of corridor instructing me to hide the body. I haven't bothered to verify whether I would have been instructed if that scenario played out as planned, but thought I'd mention my experience.

As an aside, I'd considered reloading to try that sequence as planned, but at the time I was still worried about load times. Fortunately, it seems on par with Doom 3 itself: long initial load times, quick reloads of the same level. That's a huge plus for me, and probably many other perfectionist types that like to keep trying until they get something right.

I also had an odd experience in the training mission, though to be fair I was pushing it. After the first three rounds of combat training, I "won" all the others from the balcony (thanks to leftover rope/broadhead arrows from earlier training). In the final round, the leather-clad guard was...disfigured. His torso floated several feet behind his legs, attached by a thin piece of cloth. His head was nowhere to be found. I reloaded to try the final round again and it happened a second time as well, although he seemed normal on the bench before the match started. (I have a .TGA screenshot, but no save.) This time I killed him, at which point his torso and legs were reunited (but not his missing head).

Around this same time, after firing several arrows from the arena balcony, arrows would not appear on the bow. The draw/etc. all worked fine, arrows were actually launched, but they were not visible (which made aiming a tad tricky). After the final match ended, I switched to a different type of arrow and back and both functioned correctly.

I found the inventory system benefited from the grouping features, particularly the dedicated key cycling option. Especially when I realized I could now safely hammer through all the keys quickly without bothering to hunt for a particular one. It's almost as good as having a keychain.

Regarding general inventory cycling, the default binds seemed to be [ forward and ] backward, which felt backwards to me, especially when using those keys during object manipulation. Further, the mouse wheel for weapon cycling caused me to frequently switch weapons in melee training while trying to block. (Mouse 3/scroll wheel is the same on my mouse and most mice I'm aware of.) I ended up unbinding my mousewheel as a result, as I never use weapon cycling. I missed being able to zoom in/out with the spyglass using the wheel, through :(

I can't think of any other complaints or nitpicks. As for positive comments, I could keep going on and on about things I liked. Even little touches like the healing potion intervals. Again, I'm looking forward to the missions and campaigns to be built on this platform. Hopefully the (pretty darned accurate) 1.0 moniker will draw authors out.

Sounds like you only know about the training mission. There are a few posts at TTLG and usually towards the top.

Anway, go to the DL's page of DarkMod and you'll find a list of 4-6 missions that are released already. They are all fairly small, but very fun and all by different authors. All are quite unique and have their own pluses. I've ranged between 1/2 hour and maybe 1 1/2 hours on each.

You can configure the keys anyway you want in the menu, feel free to change them to how you like them. I think the defaults are just what the team thought best.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Though, to be fair, going back to TTLG forums reveals it to be almost completely reduced to an insular mess of bittermen... the place has deteriorated over the years; as do forums.

TDM is the most exceptional thing to happen to the Thief world since the advent of FMs. Bigger and more important and more potential than any of the previously hailed big projects. This. Mod. Is. Fantastic.

There must be some politicalsomethingorother going on not to have more fanfare. There's always some politicalsomethingorother wherever and whenever, of course, but this is just a little weird.

Or maybe everyone but the bittermen and diehards have just drifted and the return is gonna take a while...

• Like 1

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I think because Dark Mod is all about a nice slow burn rather than a flash in the pan. People know it's there ... And sometimes it's the things that are so taken for granted as important that don't raise a lot of hooplah because, well, people take it for granted, as if TDM just fell from the sky. They might not realize all the blood sweat and tears that went into actually making it and it actually might not have happened, but happily did. The other thing is that there just haven't been many FMs yet. Its importance will really sink in as some really landmark FMs start hitting the scene, I think.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

There are deffinately some impressive missions in progress.

And I think most of the players at TTLG are aware, and a few have hopped on board since release. So it's happening and it will continue to grow I believe. Some people are still holding out because they have projects to finish in T2, or are afraid to learn new stuff, etc...

I think alot of people have played the missions so far, just not that many people ever built maps compared to player numbers

Goes the other way to though, I still haven't played Cosas Mission X and I contributed to that and made a few of the main AI (I suppose they were used). I've tried to get T2 up and running again lately though but have had issues with newer OS and 64 bit... And I know of a few other T2 FM's that I really want to play.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'm aware of the first batch of FMs, but thanks for watching my back. I'd actually played Chalice by the time I wrote that post. Fortunately, I'd worked out my other issues in training and was ready to go by then.

And I meant an announcement on ttlg.com (hasn't updated since 2006) or thief-thecircle.com (closest thing is a review from several weeks after release). I haven't been to the TTLG forums in ages. Not a lot of time between work and building a house :(

I'm glad to hear there's a definite interest from the mission author community. I've also had difficulty getting Thief 1/2 to run like they used to (and that's with nothing worse than a GeForce 8800 on an XP/32-bit machine). While Deadly Shadows wasn't without redeeming qualities it certainly hasn't seen the volume of FMs that its predecessors has.

(EDIT: Fast reply stripped hard returns.)

Edited by saracoth

The circle's frontpage was updated recently with a review by myself and inside that review are links to every fan mission released thus far with reviews and screens.

The fan mission discussion megathread in the TTLG forums will have a new review with screens of each mission as it is released posted by myself and others. I don't navigate outside the fan mission forum on TTLG so I can't agree or disagree with your opinion of the people there. I do know that the Dark Mod has been covered extensively in the previously mentioned megathread - I know because I posted them myself, haha. So TTLG isnt as far behind on coverage as it may seem due to the frontpage not being updated - the fan mission forum has been buzzing with threads for the missions and discussion in our fan mission discussion thread aplenty.

I see great things for TDM - at least I'm hoping.

Edited by SneakyJack

The circle's frontpage was updated recently with a review by myself and inside that review are links to every fan mission released thus far with reviews and screens.

Nice, but I am curious on why thief-thecircle.com never mentioned the release of TDM itself - all it has is a bit later a note that "Patently Dangerous" was released. Seems like a bit is missing in between?

Anyway, thanx for your kind reviews!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure - they don't post about mission releases for the thief series much anymore either, so it may just be a lack of the frontpage being updated in general.

For example: I think five thief 2 missions were released recently all on the same day as part of an (un)contest and nothing was mentioned on the frontpage - so it may just be lack of time for whoever updates it.

Edited by SneakyJack

Further, the mouse wheel for weapon cycling caused me to frequently switch weapons in melee training while trying to block. (Mouse 3/scroll wheel is the same on my mouse and most mice I'm aware of.) I ended up unbinding my mousewheel as a result, as I never use weapon cycling. I missed being able to zoom in/out with the spyglass using the wheel, through :(

Sort of connected to this, I just bought a Saitek Cyborg v3 mouse (not the one which changes size). I've wanted a fully programmable gaming mouse for a while and the Dark Mod pushed me into it.

Principally for U and R, it makes things so easy having use and drop on a thumb button, I am so happy with it.

Matched with my new Saitek backlit keyboard, I can sit in the dark in my yurt and Thief to my hearts content.

:laugh:

And I thought there was a lot of anticipation and love for the Dark Mod at TTLG on the Thief boards.

Edited by Namdrol

as I never use weapon cycling. I missed being able to zoom in/out with the spyglass using the wheel, through

Did you try binding your mousewheel to inventory cycling? I'm pretty sure the spyglass zooms with that as well.

As some have commented, I found melee combat to be difficult, but I'm not complaining. I found one-on-one combat to be possible but not easy, which I think is a good starting point as someone not yet used to the combat system.

That was my first thought as well when I was in the combat area. I thought "Whoa, this isn't going to be easy!". But you know what? It's just the way as it should be! If you remember Thief 1 and 2, there you could easily kill your opponents with your sword just if you were a bit fast in running and bashing. It was not really a problem to face the enemy who did spot you.

Now, in The Dark Mod, I really don't know if I will win the battle with this guy who's running towards me. There's a fair chance, but I am provoked to better not risk it. And that's a big plus for the stealth way and exactly my taste.

And I am sure, if you do a little training, you can even kill one of the builder men, if you really want that.

I never played a game where the fight system was that linked with mouse movement and mouse clicks in that way and I was really surprised because I like it very much.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

That was my first thought as well when I was in the combat area. I thought "Whoa, this isn't going to be easy!". But you know what? It's just the way as it should be! If you remember Thief 1 and 2, there you could easily kill your opponents with your sword just if you were a bit fast in running and bashing. It was not really a problem to face the enemy who did spot you.

Now, in The Dark Mod, I really don't know if I will win the battle with this guy who's running towards me. There's a fair chance, but I am provoked to better not risk it. And that's a big plus for the stealth way and exactly my taste.

And I am sure, if you do a little training, you can even kill one of the builder men, if you really want that.

I also think that tdm's fighting system is a huge improvement, but the stabbing attack is waaaay too powerful (or the other attacks are waaaay too ineffective (or I am waaaay too stupid)). Mowing down a (non builder) guard is usually pretty easy: block, stab, block, stab...

I also think that tdm's fighting system is a huge improvement, but the stabbing attack is waaaay too powerful (or the other attacks are waaaay too ineffective (or I am waaaay too stupid)). Mowing down a (non builder) guard is usually pretty easy: block, stab, block, stab...

Hm, would be cool to make the builder guard's hammers unblockable. I remember Cragskleft was pretty neat in that way B)cr_altar.jpg

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Oh, the builders already kick arse as I'm often half dead when I killed them. And they're so cute when they try to stab you with their hammer :)

I don't fight with the sword, I never have, except against ape beasts and spiders, as I've only ever played Thief/Dark Mod on expert.

It's just how I like to play.

But what I've got good at in the Dark Mod is going postal with my black jack.

I love that you can still get the dudes on the ground even after alerted.

You've got to be quick and do a hit, hit, hit, move combo and take full advantage of when they're stunned and hold their swords in a two handed grip, blade down.

You can end taking a few points of damage but it's real satisfying.

I like to play no saves some times and this makes it much better and also more realistic.

Just because someone's aware it doesn't stop 'em feeling a sand and lead sap does it?

One of my fave things in TDM.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Namdrol

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to everyone

I could not help myself from registering just to say "congratulations" to the amazing people who created TDM.

I was aware of its existance through TTLG forums but never gave it a try because I dislike DOOM and the similar space type games-just my personal opinion here- until some days ago I saw some screenshots!!!!!

ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

I started salivating badly and I knew I had to have them!!!

I have to say two things though...:

a. I'm in dire need of an armoire here due to me being small slices of ham every time in compact

and

b. I'm running out of FMs

(stop eating your New Years' dinner-cake-turkey- don't know what and make me some more please)

Still... I gotta tell ya... "'I'm in dire need of a breastplate here due to me being small slices of ham every time in compact" is still coming up...

:huh:

:D

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I'm pretty sure he means "combat" instead of compact. "I'm in dire need of a breastplate here due to me being cut into small slices of ham ever time I'm in combat."

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

(stop eating your New Years' dinner-cake-turkey- don't know what and make me some more please)

"I'm in dire need of a breastplate here due to me being cut into small slices of ham ever time I'm in combat."

I started salivating badly and I knew I had to have them!!!

:D

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair