The Dark Mod Forums

question: regarding the use of the word garrett

Bikerdude

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon

Whats the rule/s regarding use of the other character from the thief series..?

[update] - just found this after posting, doh!

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Universe

<_<

Don't use the G. word.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The TDM team can't support it and it wouldn't be distributed through the site, though some fans will do whatever they like, just like any toolset, like Photoshop. They'd just be responsible for making and distributing their own work, just like any unlicensed fan made thing put out there really.

You could look at the bright side of keeping away from it, though. We're the pioneers in filling out the fiction of a new world. You could look at it more as an opportunity than a limitation. The early FMs will probably have a big influence on what the world turns out to be.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I for one hope that some (more) talented people will be brave enough to make more original FMs, and thus help us craft an awesome original setting for TDM which isn't beholden to packs of rabid lawyers. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Considering what happened with Linspire I do not actually think Edios can do something if you use the fairly common name of the Master Thief.

On the other hand, as the others suggested, use your fantasy. Do not feel bound by that setting: just be clear I am one of the few I LOVED the Thief 1 (darn Tricksters!), 2 (darn Hammerites!), 3 (darn Keepers!) story, I loved the character, I loved the fact the character changes and evolves through time (there are plenty of books, some movies, but something like that was never seen in a video games). Yet, use your own imagination, there are advantages in this.

I find strange the team tries to fix a setting (see the wiki) it seems going backward than the idea of freedom of a tool set.

Sure they can do something; they can decide to sue people associated with the mod at random. Even if they have no valid legal argument (which they don't), they still win because they have more money than us. Capiche? So please try to restrain yourself. See my signature. <_<

It would be far stranger to have no "canon" setting at all. :) The art assets have to be made to fit a style, with appropriately-themed characters that need creating (like Builders) and so on. Also, it's very convenient to have a standard world for mission authors to set things in. Obviously there's nothing stopping people from making TDM missions in a different setting. Besides, the setting we do have is deliberately light on detail, to encourage the community to invent the details.

Some people have actually complained that our setting isn't fixed enough. :laugh: Can't please everyone.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I for one hope that talented people will at some point be daring enough to start a small underground modeling/retexturing project and give us Thief 2 Gold in TDM!

Hell no. :(

I hope those talented people would use their time to build Thief 2 Gold where it belongs, in the Thief 2 engine. The unfinished missions have been lying around for years now, and nobody has done a damned thing with them. I remember people crying and moaning that it was never released and when it could finally see the light of day, it is left to collect dust.

I am actually a little confused about this fears. If Eidos actually wants (and can) protect its IP about G., V. at all would ANY fan mission using them attackable?

No, because thief fan missions made with thief resources by people who own the game for people who own the game is written in the EULA as OK.

It's porting over content, artistic or intellectual, to people who don't own the orginal thief games that is not OK. It's even frowned apon in the thief community to port T1, TG missions over to Thief 2 as someone who owns T2 may not own T1, TG. Thus they get free content without buying it. Likewise sharing content between T1,TG,T2 and T3 is against the EULA.

That's what gets me about the whole g-word to TDM. People understand the T1 to T2 thing, why don't they understand the T(1,2,G,3) to doom3/TDM thing?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I've read this thread with great interest, and maybe I might add something to think about. Since the ancient Germanic name "Gerhard" is often abbreviated as "Gerrit" in Northern Europe ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard ), why not use this one here? Granted, it' very similar to the G. name, but if properly explained in the FM (say, the Thief got a letter from mom lying around somewhere where she calls him both Gerhard and Gerrit), shouldn't you be able to use that name without fear of legal implications?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Well,maybe I'm an exception, but for my any Thief-like universe *must* have a protagonist called G. or something similar. But I may be very well alone in that view.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Actually... you are not alone. But there is some paranoia about the legal risks: so we try to be positive and use ours idea to make a new main character.

Moreover at the moment we had FM very `main character independent' very you can imagine of being G. or anyone other...

And there is (apparently) no interest in making a story and few levels connected in that story. (see my thread :( about this...)

Here we go again...why do we have to continuously defend this? It is not simply paranoia, it's a very real threat! It's not like we haven't researched the laws around this over the last five years. The problem is, they're so vague in some ways that it's impossible to know exactly what they will come after you for, some mods have been shut down for far less than we've done...and I think we've been extremely lucky to have been granted as much grace as we have. Calling our character Garrett would be pushing out luck. Our game world is close enough that if started slapping the name Garrett around, it would be enough to bring the suits knocking...why, because it is too recognizable and would go too far. We've carefully walked a line in order to avoid making this mod a direct rip off of Thief, and to show Eidos that we have respect for their intellectual property. That's exactly what it comes down to really, respect...both for Eidos and for the well being of this Mod. If you can't let go of the name Garrett, that's your problem...not a problem with the Mod itself.

Also, it's not that we don't want to make a campaign with a full story...but as we've said many times, we don't have the hands to do it...and if we're also maintaining the mod and updating features that we weren't able to get out in 1.0, we're pretty swamped. We're five years into this guys, and we're worn down to the bone.

It's not our sole responsibility to build missions for TDM anymore, the community can also help out now. If the community wants to make a TDM campaign based on the world we've laid out in the wiki, then go for it. Nothing would make us happier. We're here to offer guidance and answer questions about the type of world we intended this to be.

Long story short, don't wait for us to make the campaign, take it into your own hands.

Here we go again...why do we have to continuously defend this? It is not simply paranoia, it's a very real threat!

I did not say it is meaningless paranoia!

Edit: forgive me. Language barrier: it seems in my native language the word `paranoia' is a little different than in English. And so I used it wrongly.

Also, it's not that we don't want to make a campaign with a full story...but as we've said many times, we don't have the hands to do it...and if we're also maintaining the mod and updating features that we weren't able to get out in 1.0, we're pretty swamped. We're five years into this guys, and we're worn down to the bone.

And I do not say it was a fault.

It's not our sole responsibility to build missions for TDM anymore, the community can also help out now. If the community wants to make a TDM campaign based on the world we've laid out in the wiki, then go for it. Nothing would make us happier. We're here to offer guidance and answer questions about the type of world we intended this to be.

Long story short, don't wait for us to make the campaign, take it into your own hands.

An this was the point of the lack of will, not in the team side. But on the community side where the most mappers are.

Edited by etdarkb