Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are only warnings not errors.

Don't worry about the node without a volume

I don't know about the unbounded. You can try google doom3 with the error message.

If you get path errors you cannot overcome, try deleting the aas, cm, and proc files in your maps folder and dmap again. If it still persists then you can track down eg brush 1587 and the others in Dark Radiant's map menu and see if there is anything odd about it. Entity 0 just means worldspawn.

If by movie you mean video; nobody has made one for Dark Mod yet AFAIK. My only understanding is you substitute it for the video that is shown at the start of all FM, that little Dark Mod video.

If you mean the graphic text gui briefing that several FMs have used then you could take mainmenu_briefing.gui from say Heart and search these forums where I think I described briefly the steps needed to modify it for your own FM. So search for keywords like briefing or mainmenu_briefing* with me as author should find it. If so, once you get going then I can offer clarification if needed. Yes, it needs a wiki article really.

If it still persists then you can track down eg brush 1587 and the others in Dark Radiant's map menu and see if there is anything odd about it.

thanks Fids, as useal your a little star! - this remove two of the nodel volume warnings...!!!

Any idea on the path_sit aggravation..?

[update] much as the chat we had about Bed's, Ai and cliptexture it seems this was the same thing. As soon as I remove the flush monster_clip from in & under the chair the Ai started sitting where it should.

Edited by Bikerdude

I think you'll still need to create the definition file from that wiki (or copy the definition from another FM) to get the output of that program to work. It's kinda like adding a custom texture to your FM from what I see.

I will add your link to the discussion area of our wiki though :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Any idea on the path_sit aggravation..?

[update] much as the chat we had about Bed's, Ai and cliptexture it seems this was the same thing. As soon as I remove the flush monster_clip from in & under the chair the Ai started sitting where it should.

I must have missed this. The best way to do sitting is to make the chair (or crate whatever) a moveable then give it frobable 0 and notPushable 1 and no monsterclip. This is effectively static but AI can pathfind moveables correctly. The reason is that if you use a normal func_static with no monsterclip then AI will not 'see' it and may try to moonwalk through it.

I must have missed this. The best way to do sitting is to make the chair (or crate whatever) a moveable then give it frobable 0 and notPushable 1 and no monsterclip. This is effectively static but AI can pathfind moveables correctly. The reason is that if you use a normal func_static with no monsterclip then AI will not 'see' it and may try to moonwalk through it.

sweet thanks, fids..

Yes! I am so glad I kept the ROQ video converter I used for NHAT. :)

The location I originally downloaded 'Switchblade DropROQ' from seems to be dead, so I packed it up for you here.

(Just make sure that your source video file is a power-of-two resolution. 512x512 seems to work best.)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

• 4 weeks later...

Another question:

This is one regarding the issue with large amounts of patches and what is the best way to optomize them in regards of converting bunch of patches to FS inside a very large leaf - in this case the main room in my cathedral map.

I've got so many patches the original implimentation was too convert large bunches of them (e.g. all ceiling buttress's, vaulted ceiling's, and so on) into a single FS.

leaving them as just plain patches is not an option the fps drop is huge, but similarly I cant get the FPS above 30-40 even when strategically converting said patches to FS's.

Any ideas on alternate methods etc..

It might be a good idea to try converting bunches of them to models (ASE export) and adding them back in that form before testing/release. At the same time, remember to set the no shadow, non solid etc spawnargs on patch groups which will never really be close to the player, i.e the vaulted sections. I tried keep all of those separate like that so that they could be optimized in this way as the base map did not have anything like that. It's also the reason for the closed construction to avoid leaking when swapping out :)

I never got around to testing the whole model idea, but I have a feeling that if the same spawnargs are set on those they should be cheaper than the patches patches.

I'd wait for some other comments tho.

Ah, cool, how do I do export a func_static into blender or can I just do an ASE export in DR..?

On another note, I found the culprit of some FPS drop - would you believe the bloody pew models - even though that the majority of them have noshadows set.. Would making a patch/FS version of said pew, then replicating and saving as one big FS or ASE model help with this..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Ah, cool, how do I do export a func_static into blender or can I just do an ASE export in DR..?

I have spent the last few hours optomizing all the FS's that are causing a performance drop and said FS's are collectively causing a 23fps drop. is there a wiki on this..? how do I get the FS into blender so I can turn it into a ASE model..

[update]

doh, nevermind.... I after a little googling I discovered that RiB ASE export script is built into DR, so I shall get cracking with my models in blender etc.

Edited by Bikerdude

Blender/Dr question:

Im using DR 1.4.0, and using the built ASE script I jave exported a FS made of patches and an FS made of brushes.

when I open Blender and select import ASE and select either of the above I get nothing just a cube....

So what am I doing wrong, if this has been answered already please point me at the appropriate thread etc..

-_-

Not positive but the cube may be alot larger scale, delete it. Maybe the pew is inside it.

I've only imported once or twice so there might be something else going on.

------

Just tested to make sure though.

Just export the model to the right spot

furniture/seating/pewpew

Reload models

Go to furniture/seating/pewpew.ase all done

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

You need to convert to worldspawn first. And you don't need Blender for this operation. Try this:

Make new copy of map just in case

•  
  • Create two new layers called eg pewsORG and pewsNEW
  • Select all pews and move to layer pewsORG
  • SAVE the map
  • Hide all other layers so just pewsORG and pewsNEW show

•  
  • RMB in orthoview and revert to worldspawn (this won't work if you deselected then selected the layer; you have to reselect them in the normal way.)
  • With them all selected, drag all so centre of all pews is roughly at 0,0,0 (else model origin may end up in void.)
  • menu > script > export as ase to eg, darkmod/models/mymap/pews.ase

•  
  • UNdo so pews move back to where they should be. If anything goes wrong then reload map.
  • DEselect.

•  
  • menu > file > reload models
  • RMB in ortho view roughly where you want then create model
  • Select eg, darkmod/models/mymap/pews.ase
  • Move to layer pewsNEW
  • Drag to line up pews exactly where old pews are.
  • DEselect
  • Select layer pewsORG so old pews all highlight and delete them.
  • SAVE map with new name just in case.
  • Try it out.

I can adjust the ASE export script to export func_statics if there is high demand, this kind of hit me too the first time I used the script.

Greebs, if we could export a FS, then would the model retain the args of said FS, eg noshadows or noclip etc...?

Ok, converted all applicable FS's to models, but Im having 2 really annoying problems with some of them.

1. On some I cant drag them around in top down view in ortho

2. when I rotate them the bloody origin moves, so far away its now in the bloody void..

Well after all that effort, doom start crashing.. Tracked it down one of the models I just created, back to the drawing board on that model.

And whats the net result after all that bloody effort.... the same or less average fps across the board... So in this instance a complete waste of time.

Edited by Bikerdude

And whats the net result after all that bloody effort.... the same or less average fps across the board... So in this instance a complete waste of time.

Yeah I really wasnt sure, it was my best guess tho :/

But hey, scienceeng101.png wouldn't happen if all the results were positive... or something nice like that