The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 1.1 (Bated Breath)

aidakeeley

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the team is aiming to attract more players and if incomplete buggy updates...

This is exactly what I'm talking about rectifying.

I'm just coming at it from an entirely different viewpoint: I say get the progress distributed, those squashed bugs ridden!, give the naysayers less to say.

Furthermore, a "TDM 1.1 released - look at these new AI types, objects and textures... and look! a new level!" is more impressive...

Yeah, but why not then just wait until the next thing is implemented... and then the next... wait! almost got the ha..er..builders built... oh, wait a bit more, some new tweaks and that big old mission is right around the tomorrow... wait, this'll blow 'em all away... just one or two more... hey, we don't want to be underwhelming here, nothing exciting enough... wait... hold on... oh, boy this deserves at least a +.5 versioning!... if you'll just give it another week I'll have changes numbers 99 and 100!...

My point is that the bugs that have been stomped so far are good-n-plenty, IMO. There is no shame in not amazing our socks off with every release.

what's needing to be done is to figure out which packages/files have changed or have been added in SVN and how to incorporate the changes into the released set of PK4s automatically. This has not been done before, and it takes a while to get it right.

This I do completely understand. And I'm sorry for being and sounding impatient. If it is a matter of getting the tdm_update system ironed out, then that's the best thing that you guys can be doing, IMO. I'm glad that that is the focus.

Because then hopefully the roll-outs will come often.

Bada bing.

Bada boom.

Bada new AI models.

Bada fixed that texture set.

Bada crushed that bug.

Bada ass!

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

To all in anticipation:

-What's going into the update is already a done deal; in other words, update creep is not causing delay.

-The update is being assembled and tested, and the update process itself is being tuned.

-There will be smaller and more frequent updates in the future.

-Your anticipation is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Also, found on the Wiki: mmmmmmmm :wub:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I really shouldn't, because if I do, I will miss deadlines on various work-related projects. :mellow: So, no editing until those are out of the way.

I will play the 1.01 missions if there will be any, though.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Impressive as always.

I keep experiencing impatience; but I also try and keep from voicing it because it's pretty clear that great things are being done behind the scenes... ...*

*reserving and retaining the right to continue to be voiciferously(?), anticipatorially(?) impatient from time to time.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

well 46kb/s ^^ Thanks and congrats on the release!

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Btw, our wiki gameplay instructions have been updated for 1.01, so you can check out changes to gameplay here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=The_Dark_Mod_Gameplay

Hi guys, I'm having problems getting the tdm_updater to work. Every time I start it, I get the attached error message. Firewall (ZoneAlarm) and antivirus (a-squared) are switched off, the Windows temp directory is empty. Does anyone have any idea what this error message means?

By the way, I'm d/l'ing the update via Torrent, and so far there's only one seeder. If anyone can you so kind as to help seeding? Right now I'm getting 30k/s from Austria, and I would very much like to finish the d/l today.

post-3427-126847837759_thumb.jpg

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Hi guys, I'm having problems getting the tdm_updater to work. Every time I start it, I get the attached error message. Firewall (ZoneAlarm) and antivirus (a-squared) are switched off, the Windows temp directory is empty. Does anyone have any idea what this error message means?

Try to download the new updater manually, place it over the old one, then run it:

http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/download_the_mod.php

Alternatively you could just clean out your temp folder:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Tdm_update#Updater_closes_almost_as_soon_as_it.27s_started

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Re-d/l'ing the tdm_updater worked, thank you sooo much!!!!  :D:D:D

Cool, enjoy the update :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Congratulations guys! That's an impressive list of updates, I especially like the individual FOV and non-pausing Objectives screen.

Looking forward to trying all these out later on (once it's dark outside), but I did have one question. Save games from 1.00 won't work with this update, which is fine (gives me an excuse to replay all the missions laugh.gif), but if smaller updates are going to be coming more frequently in future, will it mean that save games in 1.01 may not work with these future updates, or is it simply that 1.01 was such a big update that it couldn't be backwards compatible with saves?

Edited by Midnight

but if smaller updates are going to be coming more frequently in future, will it mean that save games in 1.01 may not work with these future updates, or is it simply that 1.01 was such a big update that it couldn't be backwards compatible with saves?

Updates that just add/modify assets won't affect saved games, and those will be more common than updates that modify the code.

Some issues with the savegame system were sorted in this update (savegame filesizes bloating up etc.), so I think that's why they aren't compatible. I can only guess here as well, but I'd say, as long as the savegame system remains untouched, your saves should be fine in future updates.