The Dark Mod Forums

Tonight's project... Catapult

PranQster

Probably alot easier to to a simple cylinder and just bend it 90 then clone and rotate. Although with more segments you could wrap one all the way around.

The easy way to bend is to drag select to top row of verts and hit the y,x or z rotate button. BAM! 90*, then just drag them out to the side. for the middle row I'd drag select them, just use the freeform rotate and get about 45*, then ctrl-G so they snap to grid, should be pretty close. Then just adjust the position on them so they align nice. (4 units up/4 across...)

Awesome. Will be trying that tonight. Thank you... was having some difficulty with selecting the proper vertices.

I say if you build that freaking thing for the (should be) possibly (should be) upcoming (should be) engineering (should be) contest... you win.

LOL, I think that thing would be a bit out of my league. But it would be a funny addition to a bar/pub setting.

Hmmm... envisioning a working 88 or 102 key piano with individual frobable keys triggering individual strings > notes... complete with key and hammer translations to hit the strings (or pluck in the case of a harpsichord) ;)

Too ambitious? LOL

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Hmmm... envisioning a working 88 or 102 key piano with individual frobable keys triggering individual strings > notes... complete with key and hammer translations to hit the strings (or pluck in the case of a harpsichord) ;)

Too ambitious? LOL

And a puzzle that you have to play the certain tune for a hidden door to open!

:ph34r:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Scary Piano with Bones for Keys (See Goonies inspired FM :laugh:):

http://modetwo.net/d...tion-for-games/

Hmmm.... *scratching chin* .... that would be great for a haunted cathedral (or a Constantine Mansion) styled FM... make a monster pipe organ like that. *grin*

It would have to play out of tune though, like Scottish war-pipes...

What I think would be great would be a play piano animation. Imagine as the player sneaks through the house and hears a piano playing. Enters the room and sees a nobleman or woman sitting at the piano (or harpsichord) playing. That I'd like to see.

What I think would be great would be a play piano animation. Imagine as the player sneaks through the house and hears a piano playing. Enters the room and sees a nobleman or woman sitting at the piano (or harpsichord) playing. That I'd like to see.

Yes! It reminds me of a mission in some of the hitman-games. There was this druglord playing cello. Bach (my favourite!), if I remember correctly. That was delightful.

I wish we had an army of people with excellent animation skills and plenty of free time...;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Ok, here's the new, improved catapult. The ropes are still a bit crude, but much better than what I had previously.

onager2_01.jpg

onager2_02.jpg

onager2_03.jpg

And the prefab:

http://jdchoate.mcn....ps/onager02.zip

Edit: this is old now and will be replaced soon with a slightly improved prefab. 04/21/11

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

Looks great. There is a lot of shadow but I think I see one texture misalignment. Always align wood grain along the length of beams. The main angled support beam wood texture has vertical grain and would snap like a twig. Just rotate it to align with the beam. Does not need to be exact. Just set rotate amount to 1 and turn it visually until it is roughly correct is what I do unless I know the beam angle, eg, 45 degrees.

Looks great. There is a lot of shadow but I think I see one texture misalignment. Always align wood grain along the length of beams. The main angled support beam wood texture has vertical grain and would snap like a twig. Just rotate it to align with the beam. Does not need to be exact. Just set rotate amount to 1 and turn it visually until it is roughly correct is what I do unless I know the beam angle, eg, 45 degrees.

Thanks! Yeah I need to fix that. Saw it after posting the screenshots. forgot to check that side of those 2 angled beams. I think I had it aligned with the previous texture, then didn't check it after switching to the dark wood. I'll up the ambient light for making screenshots. If inspected closely, you'll find that some of the ropes have a convex surface unsure.gif I'll fix that after more practice bending cylinders.

maybe you could try a trebuchet

I've got a great trebuchet model, just have never had time to uvmap and texture it.

We've got one - mine - but nobody seems interested in contributing to it.

Fids, I`ll upload all my prefabs when I get the chance, I've got a prefab folder with the same directory structure as TDM's so can I just zip the hole folder or would you rather than one-by one. there are currently 157 nprefabs in 10 folders at 5MB..

^_^

ps - whats the link again for the prefab uplink page..?

Edited by Bikerdude

There's no custom uploader. Somewhere around here is a thread I forget where. Basically you have to post on that thread and upload to some temporary fileshare or something and I get it from there and put it on my site. It will only be a very simple web page. The reason you can't see it yet is because nobody has contributed anything <sob>

Once up there it is available for anyone else and assessment by the team for possible inclusion in the Dark Mod assets. So it becomes available immediately from my website but it might take weeks or months before it gets in a future update if at all.

I'll search tomorrow for my original thread. It faded away from lack of use. :laugh:

There are some guidelines like you must provide a short description. A file like myprefabs.zip isn't very helpful for the downloader. A small screenshot might be acceptable (I don't mean for every prefab but just to go with each download.) It's not just for prefabs but anything - textures, models, etc.

Oh yeah - those prefabs just zip them all up together.

There are some guidelines like you must provide a short description. A file like myprefabs.zip isn't very helpful for the downloader. A small screenshot might be acceptable (I don't mean for every prefab but just to go with each download.) It's not just for prefabs but anything - textures, models, etc.

Ok Ill make a start on my list of prefabs, centre on the map & the origin etc and take a small screenshot from within DR etc..

I found my old thread at http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10651-submissions-of-any-kind-prefabs-fms-textures-models-and-any-other-help/page__view__findpost__p__209369

Please post any submissions on that thread so everything is together and there is no fuzzyness. Anything posted there for submission is for everyone to use freely and possible inclusion in a future Dark Mod update.