The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

In Lightwave materials are called surfaces. To make a game ready LWO the surface name is where you put "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01" . Translating that into Blender terminology means you would name the material "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01" (which isn't possible as stated above) and then export to LWO

Why one earth would Blender put a hard cap on the material name length?

In a pinch, you could always make a new material shader with a name that is less than 32 characters...most of the existing model shaders already are.

You can work around testmodel spawning in the ground by looking up or using noclip. It's less than ideal but still advantageous since you can test models in existing maps without editing said maps.

Yeah, I might do that, though it feels like it might just be easier to put it in with the editor.

I don't see why shadow meshes would work differently when exported in one format over another but anything is possible. If there's any truth to that then it's a bug that should be documented for when the engine goes open source.

Yeah, I thought it sounded strange too, but that what I've been told.

If you want to avoid intersecting, build a mesh that fits inside the visible object. Don't worry about topology, volume, scale, or accuracy. The only thing that matters is that the shadow cast by the shadow mesh resembles the object it's supposed to represent. If you're having trouble with it, send me the .blend and I can provide you with a suitable shadow mesh from which you can learn from.

Yeah, I know, but it's not so easy to make an even more lowpoly mesh for an already low poly mesh that is round and hollow.

If you intend to make game ready content, it's in your best interest to continue working with ASE because it's the only format that affords you the ability to start with nothing and end up with something working in game without any assistance.

The second you export to LWO, you relinquish the ability to get the model working in game to those who own Lightwave. By all means send LWOs but it's no longer your problem if those models don't work.

In Lightwave materials are called surfaces. To make a game ready LWO the surface name is where you put "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01" . Translating that into Blender terminology means you would name the material "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01" (which isn't possible as stated above) and then export to LWO.

Since you aren't exporting to LWO, this isn't a problem. Should you choose to start exporting to LWO, it will be. Someone with Lightwave will have to fix all the models you export.

Alright, the .LWO's doesn't seem to offer any real advantages so I'll stick .ASE.

I don't have any advice ATM for the mirroring issues. I'll have to review the topics on D3W and get back to you unless someone else has something to offer.

Please do, I've been having a lot of problems with that so it'd be great if you could find a solution.

it looks good imo :)

Thanks!

Why one earth would Blender put a hard cap on the material name length?

In a pinch, you could always make a new material shader with a name that is less than 32 characters...most of the existing model shaders already are.

I think I'll just skip the .LWO and stick with .ASEs, but thanks anyways.

Very good shape. It may need a bit more creamier texture - this way, it is a little plastic-like. Aged bone, like on a staff, would be slightly yellow, something like this.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Very good shape. It may need a bit more creamier texture - this way, it is a little plastic-like.

Thanks!

Aged bone, like on a staff, would be slightly yellow.

Yeah, I know it need a more interesting texture. This is just the highpoly, which you never texture, you just use it to bake normals, ambient occlusion onto the lowpoly which you give the interesting textures to.

something like this

That texture is more or less unusable as there is a big crack in it. I tried looking around but couldn't really find any good texture, so I might have to make one myself :(.

That texture is more or less unusable as there is a big crack in it. I tried looking around but couldn't really find any good texture, so I might have to make one myself :(.

If Melan is in the mood I'd be happy to take a higher res copy of that texture and turn it into seamless bone. (the final result can be scaled down as I dont think we're going to have many buildings made completely from a single carved bone ;))

But I'm really impressed with that skull, it looks a bit strange in 2D, but I think it must look quite interesting in full 3D. Noss :wub:

Also I think MSN stops our convos at times, I always get a message from you then send a lengthy reply and that seems to be the end of it... donno if its related to your invis status tho iiam.png

If Melan is in the mood I'd be happy to take a higher res copy of that texture and turn it into seamless bone. (the final result can be scaled down as I dont think we're going to have many buildings made completely from a single carved bone ;))

That sounds great, thanks.

But I'm really impressed with that skull, it looks a bit strange in 2D, but I think it must look quite interesting in full 3D. Noss :wub:

Thanks, I'm pretty satisfied with it myself too, except the back as the skull is just hollow and it just sits on top of a stick, but I really have no idea how to make it much more interesting. Here's how it looks right now:

Deerskull2back.jpg

I think I'll have to smooth out most of the inner parts of the skull but I'm not sure.

Also I think MSN stops our convos at times, I always get a message from you then send a lengthy reply and that seems to be the end of it... donno if its related to your invis status tho iiam.png

Oh, I thought you were just sick of all my questions so you decided to ignore me. Also I'm almost always online on MSN as I have it on autostart and I keep my comp on the whole day except for when I go to bed, so you should easily be able to reach me when I'm online.

Edited by Nosslak

You could try adding a very basic bottom jaw on the other side, as if the skull were eating the pole almost?

As for msn, I've just checked what my clients info can tell me and it seems to say that I've added you as a contact, but you haven't added me. As such I'm not able to send you messages as I'm not a mutual contact. But I do keep trying to reply. Try adding me manually and then send me a message, I'll try see what the server list looks like.Skype, hell no. I do lurk around many places in irc and have gtalk connected, but don't worry if you don't use either.

Do you need the source image, or some more work on it as well? I'll be happy to help.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

PM sent.

The jaw does look a bit odd actually, but I can't judge if I think that because of skulls like it usually not having any jaw, or some other reason.

I do have an idea for how you could make it look more attached to the stick, how about you take a strap and pul through the holes where the horns were? and if you're feeling ambigious you could try with the cracks above the eyesckets too. I figured we wouldn't want the eyesockets used for it as they can have gems and things like that in them in custom versions.

The jaw does look a bit odd actually, but I can't judge if I think that because of skulls like it usually not having any jaw, or some other reason.

I forgot to say that I didn't model a full jaw as that would be too long (I tested, it was not pretty) so I broke off maybe 1/3 of it, but I don't like it either.

I do have an idea for how you could make it look more attached to the stick, how about you take a strap and pul through the holes where the horns were? and if you're feeling ambigious you could try with the cracks above the eyesckets too. I figured we wouldn't want the eyesockets used for it as they can have gems and things like that in them in custom versions.

I was considering this, actually, but I hoped someone would come up with a better solution. I think I'll go with this approach.

EDIT: Also I was planning to try to make some antlers for it too so there won't be any straps though those holes.

Edited by Nosslak

I am not sure the staff needs the jawbone. On the other hand, since you have already done the work, it may make for a nice extra model - so we'd have the staff, we'd have an upper skull and we'd have a jawbone. The latter two may be useful for crypts, middens, various Pagan decorations, plus never forget how much Samson accomplished with just one jawbone. ;)

Personally I think it looks awesome as is! But if you want more detail, then I'd do the following.I'd keep the bottom jaw off, since those tend to detach naturally during decomposition. Maybe a nail or spike in the top to attach it to the end of the pole? Also, many deer skulls (but not all) are raised a lot more where the antlers attach.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I am not sure the staff needs the jawbone. On the other hand, since you have already done the work, it may make for a nice extra model - so we'd have the staff, we'd have an upper skull and we'd have a jawbone. The latter two may be useful for crypts, middens, various Pagan decorations, plus never forget how much Samson accomplished with just one jawbone. ;)

I'm not really a believer so I'm not familiar with the Samson story, but it still sounds like a good idea to keep it, so that's what I'm going to do.

Personally I think it looks awesome as is! But if you want more detail, then I'd do the following.I'd keep the bottom jaw off, since those tend to detach naturally during decomposition. Maybe a nail or spike in the top to attach it to the end of the pole?

I think I'll stick with just using some strings to keep it attached, but thanks anyway.

Also, many deer skulls (but not all) are raised a lot more where the antlers attach.

I hadn't noticed that. I'll try to make them longer before the next update.

Hey Noss, I had the skull texture pretty much done this morning and then my power went... and CS5 seems to have done bad things to my working copy! Aaaanyway I'll sort it out this afternoon and get it to you asap.

No worries, I'm still not even done with the highpoly and haven't started the lowpoly yet so it'll still take some days until I'll have a use for it. Thanks for the help.

Badcog & Serpentine helped me fix the Bellows model.

I put a new .pk4 here:

http://jdchoate.mcn.org/media/bellows.pk4

There was a missing closing bracket '}' at the end of the .mtr file as well as a mis-named bumpmap texture .tga file (was missing an 's'). Serpentine also tweaked the .ase file. After those 3 fixes, the model now renders in TDM as well as in DR.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I put a new .pk4 here:

http://jdchoate.mcn.org/media/bellows.pk4

There was a missing closing bracket '}' at the end of the .mtr file as well as a mis-named bumpmap texture .tga file (was missing an 's'). Serpentine also tweaked the .ase file. After those 3 fixes, the model now renders in TDM as well as in DR.

Should we include the model into v1.03? If so please file a tracker entry requesting it :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I put a new .pk4 here:

http://jdchoate.mcn....dia/bellows. pk4

Weird, it worked fine for me, but still I'm happy you got it to work.

Should we include the model into v1.03? If so please file a tracker entry requesting it :)

That would be awesome! How do I file a tracker request?

Alright, here's an update on the staff status:

Deerskull4.jpg

The antlers are mostly finished, though I think I'll try to import them into Zbrush and rough them up a little. This will be one of the first things I try to do in Zbrush so I can't guarantee anything that doesn't look like shite.

It doesn't look like shite:

Deerskull5sculpt.jpg

I think I'm finished so I'll start work on the lowpoly version now.

BTW how many polygons can I use on this? Right now the skull uses about 2000 polygons without antlers staff or anything else included. I'm not sure I can optimize it much more while still keeping it somewhat smooth and detailed. So how many polygons would you say are appropriate?

Edited by Nosslak

BTW how many polygons can I use on this? Right now the skull uses about 2000 polygons without antlers staff or anything else included.

Depends what you do with a shadowmesh, I guess. Our mounted antler model is about 900 polys with a 300 poly shadowmesh. You might be able to double those numbers, but more than that would be pushing it.