The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

Another version with a simpler handle WOULD be great. Like Lemon said, it could be used more often.

This one is more of a prized loot sword. Which is great, we need more looty items too.

2048 might be overkill though. I think 1024 is fine for in game.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Another version with a simpler handle WOULD be great. Like Lemon said, it could be used more often.

Yeah, I'll try to make one though I want to do something else before I make that. Right now I want to make something a little more challenging, I was thinking of making this staff from the model wishlist on the wiki, but with a deer skull instead of that furry ball/whatever. Is there still a need for such a model? I've never really made a good skull so it might not turn out all that great, I want to evolve as an artist and I won't do that by staying in my comfort zone all the time.

BTW could someone either remove or replace the dead links on that model wishlist (1/3 or 1/2 of them are dead)? I'd do it myself but I don't have the privileges necessary to do so.

This one is more of a prized loot sword. Which is great, we need more looty items too.

Yeah, I'll try to make some more loot items in the future as well.

2048 might be overkill though. I think 1024 is fine for in game.

Yeah, I am going to resize it, 2048 is just my work rez. Also I'm using a 1024x2048 texture, not 2048^2 so that was my bad. I will resize it to 512x1024 or if it still holds up nice (I doubt it will) 256x512 pix.

Edited by Nosslak

You know what? It would have been awesome if you would've said this before I finished it, instead of after. I don't think I'll go back and remodel the handle, at least not now, I might make another version with a simpler handle at a later date

haha, fair enough, but really it's not so bad to try everything and get a good feel for what works and what doesn't, it's all good experience.

18588.png

haha, fair enough, but really it's not so bad to try everything and get a good feel for what works and what doesn't, it's all good experience.

Yeah, I suppose your right.

We actually do have a deerskull staff. Well, more like a pole than a 'staff' I guess. But similar. Something to mark a pagan area, but not a weapon.

Are you sure? I just took a quick look in the library and couldn't find any and I can't remember seeing any the one or two times that I've looked through the whole library.

I got so excited to do this model so I've already started on it, so it would be a pity to waste it.

Edited by Nosslak

Is there still a need for such a model?

Sure. The existing one is just a human skull with antlers stuck onto it; not quite the same as a shaman staff.

BTW could someone either remove or replace the dead links on that model wishlist (1/3 or 1/2 of them are dead)? I'd do it myself but I don't have the privileges necessary to do so.

I made the list years ago. I don't have time anymore to go through and check all the links, sorry.

Yeah, can't recal where it's at. Could be under lights (candles/flames attached I think).

That's where it was, thanks!

Doesn't really matter though, if you want to make it do it. Varieties good and it's always good to practice different stuff anyway.

I don't really like the current one and I think I could make a better one so I'll give it a go.

Sure. The existing one is just a human skull with antlers stuck onto it; not quite the same as a shaman staff.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed with it either so I'll try to make a newer and improved version.

I made the list years ago. I don't have time anymore to go through and check all the links, sorry.

I know you made the model list on the forum years ago, but this is on the wiki and surely you can't be the only one who can edit that?

Edited by Nosslak

Noss, that sword looks awesome and will match up really nicely for part of my map, hopefully I can get the AI's swinging in piratey awesome style sometime soon! :)

I'll spider the page later and move the broken links to another section so that anyone interested can try find new samples without getting annoyed.

I know you made the model list on the forum years ago, but this is on the wiki and surely you can't be the only one who can edit that?

You? lol. Just so you know, anyone can sign up and add/fix the wiki. It's just one of those things that can pile up on a full workload. I think Spring's probably more interested in rigging/animating right now.

I'm actually trying to help with 1.03 additions updates, mapping etc...

Noss, that sword looks awesome and will match up really nicely for part of my map, hopefully I can get the AI's swinging in piratey awesome style sometime soon! :)

Thanks! I've postponed importing it into the game for several days, but tomorrow I will do it.

I'll spider the page later and move the broken links to another section so that anyone interested can try find new samples without getting annoyed.

No need to, I found out how to register on the wiki and just did it myself.

You? lol. Just so you know, anyone can sign up and add/fix the wiki. It's just one of those things that can pile up on a full workload.

I've edited it myself now, I would've done it earlier but I couldn't figure out how to register. I moved 32 dead links, the bellows and privacy screen (as I've already modeled those) to the discussion page so if someone wants they can still find them and move them back.

I think Spring's probably more interested in rigging/animating right now.

I was under the impression that he was just a texturer.

Edited by Nosslak

Thanks! I've postponed importing it into the game for several days, but tomorrow I will do it.

Heh, no worries on timelines! If you have any trouble importing, I'd be happy to help show you my workflow/tools for fixing stuff when you have issues etc, in a bit more details than just the names... oops - I'll be around pretty much all of tomorrow (besides the morning which I never see anyway)

I was under the impression that he was just a texturer.

Oh Spring is a swiss army knife of all things useful and TDM related, tho many dont see just how much he puts in, TDM would be no where near as polished and slick in the art and general department without him. He does it all and he does it with a great focus on quality :)

Oh Spring is a swiss army knife of all things useful and TDM related, tho many dont see just how much he puts in, TDM would be no where near as polished and slick in the art and general department without him. He does it all and he does it with a great focus on quality :)

Thanks Serp. :)

You? lol. Just so you know, anyone can sign up and add/fix the wiki.

I'd actually forgotten it was on the wiki now; I thought Nosslak was referring to the forum post. Thanks, Nosslak, for updating it.

Heh, no worries on timelines! If you have any trouble importing, I'd be happy to help show you my workflow/tools for fixing stuff when you have issues etc, in a bit more details than just the names... oops - I'll be around pretty much all of tomorrow (besides the morning which I never see anyway)

I will, thanks.

I don't know why but for some reason I thought we were talking about you. It's not even the first time that I confuse Springheel and you.

I'd actually forgotten it was on the wiki now; I thought Nosslak was referring to the forum post. Thanks, Nosslak, for updating it.

Glad to help!

EDIT: I'm making a shadow mesh for the sword right now and it's very hard to optimize the handle while still keeping it from intersection the model that is supposed to be rendered. Is it all that important to keep it from intersecting and is it possible to use a shadowmesh that's made from planes (a mesh that has no depth)?

Edited by Nosslak

I've had issues with ase's , if the shadow sticks out it casts shadows on the model and looks bad.

But some of the lwo's I believe do stick out and render fine.

How do I assign materials to the .lwo file? I tried opening it in Notepad++ but it doesn't seem to be able to read it.

You can also use flat planes/double sided to cast shadows.

Do I need to make any special setting for it to become double-sided or will it work right out of the box?

lwo you just have to set up the paths in lightwave or blender. Can't edit like ase. I don't use those files so I haven't gone through it. Maybe the Wiki has info.

No, just use the shadow tex, but actually make the polys double sided. Doom would do it anyway with a two sided material, but there isn't a two sided shadow material.

clone, flip normals,attach

How do I assign materials to the .lwo file? I tried opening it in Notepad++ but it doesn't seem to be able to read it

In Lightwave you just use the shader name as the surface name.

lwo you just have to set up the paths in lightwave or blender. Can't edit like ase. I don't use those files so I haven't gone through it. Maybe the Wiki has info.

There doesn't seem to be any info on the wiki about .lwo's and Blender (only .ase's).

No, just use the shadow tex, but actually make the polys double sided. Doom would do it anyway with a two sided material, but there isn't a two sided shadow material.

clone, flip normals,attach

Sounds like I might just as well just model it as I would anyways then.

In Lightwave you just use the shader name as the surface name.

When I export to .ASE with Blender all I have to change is the bitmap path which is the same as Blenders texture filepath, so I just tried to paste "//base/cutlass_gold" into it but it doesn't seem to work. Anyone got any ideas on how I should proceed.

Right now the shadow-mesh has got about 280 polys in it. Is this acceptable?

Can someone teach me how to use the 'testmodel' command that we talked about a few pages back? I am tired of looking at my models in my crappy stonebox with my crappy lighting. The Doom 3 modwiki say it's just "testmodel [name]" but I can't get it to work.

You have to place your models somewhere in the "models" folder. Then with a map loaded you just type the relative path like this...

testmodel models/darkmod/nature/plant_05.ase

How do I assign materials to the .lwo file? I tried opening it in Notepad++ but it doesn't seem to be able to read it.

You can't alter LWO files in a text editor because LWO is a binary file type. In other words, the data contained therein is encoded as a bunch of ones and zeros. That's why when you open a binary file in a text editor and the program tries to decode the data into readable characters you end up with jibberish.

You won't be able to use Blender to produce LWO files that work in Doom 3 without jumping through hoops. You should continue using ASE. I don't see why you aim to switch anyway. What do you stand to gain?

In Blender you're only afforded 32 characters when naming a material whereas in Lightwave the limit is much higher. Case in point if you have a model that uses the texture "textures/common/caulk" exporting from Blender will work fine but "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01" will not because the name exceeds 32 characters.

You have to place your models somewhere in the "models" folder. Then with a map loaded you just type the relative path like this...

testmodel models/darkmod/nature/plant_05.ase

It wasn't as good as I had hoped. I was under the impression that you could just pick it up and place it anywhere with that command but it seems that Doom 3 just places it where I'm looking, with most of it under ground.

You can't alter LWO files in a text editor because LWO is a binary file type. In other words, the data contained therein is encoded as a bunch of ones and zeros. That's why when you open a binary file in a text editor and the program tries to decode the data into readable characters you end up with jibberish.

You won't be able to use Blender to produce LWO files that work in Doom 3 without jumping through hoops. You should continue using ASE. I don't see why you aim to switch anyway. What do you stand to gain?

Baddcog said that lwo's sometimes are more forgiving when it comes to intersecting shadow meshes, also I think Springheel (might have been someone else) complained because he can't open .ases in his program of choice so it'd help that too.

In Blender you're only afforded 32 characters when naming a material whereas in Lightwave the limit is much higher. Case in point if you have a model that uses the texture "textures/common/caulk" exporting from Blender will work fine but "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01" will not because the name exceeds 32 characters.

Yeah, but you don't have to name the material the same as the filepath, right? I thought you just had to change the filepath for the texture (that's what I've done with .ase's.

Also I'm having problems with normal mirroring, again:

shot00010.jpg

Only the seam that is parallel to the blade is a real seam, I don't even know why there is a seam/hard edge on that other place.

Also this:

Deerskull.jpg

Do we have any hunter on-board that can confirm that it looks like a deer skull? It's not finished I will add some teeth and smaller bone parts in the nostrils and those other holes above them.

Edited by Nosslak

You can work around testmodel spawning in the ground by looking up or using noclip. It's less than ideal but still advantageous since you can test models in existing maps without editing said maps.

Baddcog said that lwo's sometimes are more forgiving when it comes to intersecting shadow meshes...

I don't see why shadow meshes would work differently when exported in one format over another but anything is possible. If there's any truth to that then it's a bug that should be documented for when the engine goes open source.

If you want to avoid intersecting, build a mesh that fits inside the visible object. Don't worry about topology, volume, scale, or accuracy. The only thing that matters is that the shadow cast by the shadow mesh resembles the object it's supposed to represent. If you're having trouble with it, send me the .blend and I can provide you with a suitable shadow mesh from which you can learn from.

... also I think Springheel (might have been someone else) complained because he can't open .ases in his program of choice so it'd help that too.

If you intend to make game ready content, it's in your best interest to continue working with ASE because it's the only format that affords you the ability to start with nothing and end up with something working in game without any assistance.

The second you export to LWO, you relinquish the ability to get the model working in game to those who own Lightwave. By all means send LWOs but it's no longer your problem if those models don't work.

Yeah, but you don't have to name the material the same as the filepath, right? I thought you just had to change the filepath for the texture (that's what I've done with .ase's.

In Lightwave materials are called surfaces. To make a game ready LWO the surface name is where you put "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01". Translating that into Blender terminology means you would name the material "textures/darkmod/metal/grate/dimpled_grating01" (which isn't possible as stated above) and then export to LWO.

Since you aren't exporting to LWO, this isn't a problem. Should you choose to start exporting to LWO, it will be. Someone with Lightwave will have to fix all the models you export.

I don't have any advice ATM for the mirroring issues. I'll have to review the topics on D3W and get back to you unless someone else has something to offer.

Edited by rich_is_bored