The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

Looks great to me. It will be very interesting to see how much of that detail translates into the game.

If you don't mind a small request, could you additional versions of the model in pieces? The skull and antlers would be useful by themselves, as would just the skull.

Looks great to me. It will be very interesting to see how much of that detail translates into the game.

Thanks!

If you don't mind a small request, could you additional versions of the model in pieces? The skull and antlers would be useful by themselves, as would just the skull.

And yeah, I'm going to try to make multiple versions with the skull, staff+skull+antlers, staff+skull, stand+skull+antlers, stand+skull, skull+antlers and just the the skull alone. It takes a lot of time for me to import the models into the game, but I'll try to persevere

When I make the other pieces should I rebake the textures (could increase the pixel density a little) or just go with the same textures (would save memory/work)? Also what should I call the models?

Edited by Nosslak

Basically I agree with everything said here. Nice job!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

just use same textures.

also while you're at it (:) ) maybe a stick with one antler attached, could be a primitive weapon.>?

i'd make the names:

antler_deer_single

skull_deer

skull_deer_antlers

staff_deer_skull

something along those lines.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

When I make the other pieces should I rebake the textures (could increase the pixel density a little) or just go with the same textures (would save memory/work)? Also what should I call the models?

Just use the same textures...don't make any extra work for yourself. :)

Basically I agree with everything said here. Nice job!

Thanks!

Just use the same textures...don't make any extra work for yourself. :)

just use same textures.

Alright, I'll re-use the textures then.

also while you're at it (:) ) maybe a stick with one antler attached, could be a primitive weapon.>?

Sure, no problem.

i'd make the names:

antler_deer_single

skull_deer

skull_deer_antlers

staff_deer_skull

something along those lines.

Those sound pretty good, so I'll just stick with them.

I'm not having a lot of fun creating collision meshes for my deer skull so instead I played Bikerdudes excellent st Alban FM and noticed a pretty ugly (sorry) telescope so I decided to make a new one:

Spyglass.png

Took a couple hours (the pattern took the longest) and I'll try to get it into TDM soonish. What do you think?

Edited by Nosslak

Holy shit on a stick, I think we have a new spyglass model. that is ridiculously awesome.

Thanks a lot, man.

Nah, that's a bit to blingy? for a Thief.

I'd love to see a noble have animations to gaze at the heavens with one of those badboys however... a perfect night for some starga*thud*Zzzzzing

It might be a little blingy for the Thief to use but that was never what I intended it to be for. It was designed for noblemen, just as you said, preferably they could gaze at the skies but I was realistic and just thought of it more as decoration/loot.

Edited by Nosslak

I'm almost done with the lowpoly version of the spyglass/telescope now. Here's how it looks:

Spyglasslowpoly.png

364 polygons, 2048^2 diffuse and normal (which will be reduced to 512 or 256). I tried the normal with a res of 256 and the pattern actually held up pretty well. Do you like it?

Sure do! If you make a large version (e.g. for an observatory), it may use a few more polys, but for a small object, it may be enough.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Sure do! If you make a large version (e.g. for an observatory), it may use a few more polys, but for a small object, it may be enough.

Hmm, yeah, I don't think I'll make another bigger, higher poly mesh. When I made this I imagined that it'd be maybe 70 centimeter long, which I think will be enough for most peoples needs.

Edited by Nosslak

Nice one!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'd try 512. but that might make the details look crappy. Wouldn't go larger that 1024. might as well keep those details looking good since you went to the trouble of making them.

without seeing the tex sheet I can see that being a useful for for other items too. (might make a good fancy desk light texture, etc..)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I'd try 512. but that might make the details look crappy. Wouldn't go larger that 1024. might as well keep those details looking good since you went to the trouble of making them.

without seeing the tex sheet I can see that being a useful for for other items too. (might make a good fancy desk light texture, etc..)

I think the detail will survive 512 seeing how high res they are now.

Nice! I thought I'd had to go all the way down to 256.

Do anyone know if it's possible to use one model for both shadows and collision? I suppose you could just duplicate it and give one a shadow material and one a collision but I think this would save a drawcall. I want to do this as my spyglass shadowmesh weighs in at just 80 polygons, which sounds about right for both shadow and collision. Is it possible?

The collision mesh isn't use for any drawcalls, as it's invisible in-game. The shadow mesh is only used for shadow calculation and is invisible otherwise too. So in the end your draw calls just depend on the number of materials you're using for the visible stuff.

That said, it might be possible to combine the shadow mesh and the collision mesh with something like this:

tdm_collision_metal
{
qer_editorimage textures/common/collision
metal
forceopaque
collision
forceshadows
}

Something like that. I don't know whether this is properly digested by the engine, needs testing.

I suppose you could just duplicate it and give one a shadow material and one a collision

That's what I'm usually doing for simple objects. Just duplicate the stuff and assign the other material (shadows or collision).

The collision mesh isn't use for any drawcalls, as it's invisible in-game. The shadow mesh is only used for shadow calculation and is invisible otherwise too. So in the end your draw calls just depend on the number of materials you're using for the visible stuff.

That said, it might be possible to combine the shadow mesh and the collision mesh with something like this:

tdm_collision_metal
{
qer_editorimage textures/common/collision
metal
forceopaque
collision
forceshadows
}

Something like that. I don't know whether this is properly digested by the engine, needs testing.

Alright, I'll try this later. Thanks!

That's what I'm usually doing for simple objects. Just duplicate the stuff and assign the other material (shadows or collision).

I just realized that I didn't do this for my bellows model. Would it possible to use a material for the visible model, shadow and collision?

Edited by Nosslak