The Dark Mod Forums

TDM novice campaign invite

brethren

hrm, it seems that general interest in this project is high, but willingness to participate is very low. we've got 2 so far, we need at least 2 more relatively noob mappers to make the project a potential success. Nbohr? fllood? nosslak? ok,well, nosslak just keep making your awesome models, but there's gotta be some forum regulars out there that are just clinging futilely to laziness or procrastination. You know you want to be part of this. commit!

Come on guys, it will be a fun little workshop for inexperienced mappers to collude together and make something small and fun for everybody to enjoy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I've cracked open DR at least a dozen times.

This is my devolution:

1) YAY! I'm gonna make a mission

2) Oh, this will take some study

3) YAY, The A-Z Guide is GREAT

4) Oh, I added one extra light an now my map leaks... grrr...

5) Played with Sepentine's Func_Portal with Cubemap prefab

6) Couldn't get the alignment right for my own cubemap

7) Learned Strombine from Rich_is_Bored and others

8) Tried to position the ambient in the Training map... it's mostly right :( (some artifacts)

9) Built about 20 different light shader materials

10) About 5 of them worked as intended (none of the wild ones worked)

11) New baby at home, can barely beta test maps much less build one...

Though I post a ton of posts in the forum from work. :laugh:

Color me intrigued but I will need to get fired and divorced to be of any use...

~~~~~~

Well...

I guess if somehow I got a nice couple of days to myself I could start to build up the skill to map more quickly. Then I could trickle out small map sessions like the rest of these over-worked veterans.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yes, I've cracked open DR at least a dozen times.

This is my devolution:

1) YAY! I'm gonna make a mission

2) Oh, this will take some study

3) YAY, The A-Z Guide is GREAT

4) Oh, I added one extra light an now my map leaks... grrr...

5) Played with Sepentine's Func_Portal with Cubemap prefab

6) Couldn't get the alignment right for my own cubemap

7) Learned Strombine from Rich_is_Bored and others

8) Tried to position the ambient in the Training map... it's mostly right :( (some artifacts)

9) Built about 20 different light shader materials

10) About 5 of them worked as intended (none of the wild ones worked)

11) New baby at home, can barely beta test maps much less build one...

Apart from the baby, it would seem you focus on the wrong things in order to get a map done. Forget strombine, cube maps, custom light shaders and the advanced stuff. Just focus on the good 'old brush, patch and light and you'll have a small map done in no time.

It seems you spend a lot of time researching those arcane custom lighting things, a simple change in time allocation might help your mapping career. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

hrm, it seems that general interest in this project is high, but willingness to participate is very low. we've got 2 so far, we need at least 2 more relatively noob mappers to make the project a potential success. Nbohr? fllood? nosslak? ok,well, nosslak just keep making your awesome models, but there's gotta be some forum regulars out there that are just clinging futilely to laziness or procrastination. You know you want to be part of this. commit!

I have actually thought about trying to make a FM some day, but the little experience I've had with DR haven't been all that good or fun. I've only essentially made a box with a texture, a light and some of my models inside it, so obviously that won't be very fun, but I also feel that the interface is somewhat clunky (f.i the viewports are very rigid compared to Blenders). Some day, maybe, but I'm very comfortable just continuing making models and seeing them in other peoples FMs.

but I also feel that the interface is somewhat clunky (f.i the viewports are very rigid compared to Blenders). Some day, maybe, but I'm very comfortable just continuing making models and seeing them in other peoples FMs.

Go into 'view - window layout' and you can choose floating or several other window options.

Go into 'view - window layout' and you can choose floating or several other window options.

I was referring to the fact that in Blender you can just middle-click-drag in the viewport and rotate around your objects no matter what view you were in (and then easily go back to regular front/side/top view with the press of a single button) instead of having to change my viewport to perspective and try to find what I wanted to orbit. I haven't used DR much so I could be wrong.

I have four windows open, like a cross. One 3D, one top, one "east-west" and one "south-north".

That is the proper way that I was taught in the komag video long ago. Biker uses the classic 2 window view with default top-down orthoview, no idea how he makes anything with that :rolleyes:

Actually one window for 3D, and another one for 2D is enough. I assigned a macro for ctrl+tab(switching between windows) and it's perfectly easy for me.

That's what I do as well - and isn't the ctrl+tab thing there by default?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Back on topic... ;)

We have three on the team now, which isn't bad, but I would love to have a 4th and even a 5th. Anyone out there wavering a bit, tempted to join but not sure, something like that? C'mon, there must be other newbs out there itching to get their first level finished and released, and willing to work with a team. Don't be shy.

This isn't a contest, so even if you have a level partially completed, we could just integrate it into the campaign. Or maybe there's a dromed vet out there somewhere who's itching to dive into TDM editing?

I guess if somehow I got a nice couple of days to myself I could start to build up the skill to map more quickly. Then I could trickle out small map sessions like the rest of these over-worked veterans.

hrhrr, I eat a bootlace if you're noob @ mapping Nbhor :D

but some points on your list rings a bell in me ;)

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Nbohr? fllood? nosslak?

Back on topic... ;)

Anyone out there wavering a bit, tempted to join but not sure, something like that? C'mon, there must be other newbs out there itching to get their first level finished and released, and willing to work with a team.

Put me to the lines "tempted to join but not sure".

I like the idea. not sure for I don't want anyone or a project (possibly) slow down because me.

I'm able to distract myself some minutes to the forums in low times during work hours here and there, like Nbhor. And I'm just about to start my (real) first map. However available DR time is somewhat limited for me as for job, RL and to keep Mrs. fllood happy ;) - to give you an estimate of my available map time based on the last months: one DR evening at an average a week. so important to me is to spend that mapping time well. Within a collaberation frameset sharing ideas, experiences, opinions, helping & beta test each other ... is a tempted way to do so. just unsure if ~20 hrs a month might be sufficient to a team project.

so lets say, if you can't fill the ranks or adding a part that the campaign won't very much depend on?

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

I am excited to announce that we now have 5 members for this project, including a dromeder from TTLG!!!! Work will commence as soon as we attain a way to privately communicate together.

edit: if a last 1 or 2 folks want to pipe up and join, now is the time.

Edited by ungoliant

Good! :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Good! :laugh:

sorry, where was the funny part? is this whole initiative a big joke?

Remember, we older mappers will be happy to give advice too!

But of course! For myself, I usually don't shy away from asking stupid questions, or making dumb comments in public places, but working among peers instead of gods certainly has its own tempting flavor.

Edited by ungoliant

sorry, where was the funny part? is this whole initiative a big joke?

Excuse me? I thought that was just a happy emoticon?