The Dark Mod Forums

Thread removed

Springheel

Why not? <_<

Nowadays, everyone got used to the spyware all over the internet (FB, G+, etc). You don't even care about it. But I do.

I thought this place is about stealth.

That's just it. If you want to sneak around online, it's up to you to protect yourself. Turn off scripts & cookies as a default and just turn on the ones you need, use a proxy, etc... Spies are everywhere, but so are the shadows.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Turn off scripts & cookies as a default and just turn on the ones you need, use a proxy, etc..,

That's what I'm doing.

So your advice is: if you want do visit DarkMod, think about it twice. Turn off the scripts, beware of the trackers. It's a kind of FB-thingy. Be careful.

So your advice is: if you want do visit DarkMod, think about it twice. Turn off the scripts, beware of the trackers. It's a kind of FB-thingy. Be careful.

Yes, better make sure that nobody sees you visiting the web forum of an open-source computer game. Google might show a targeted ad for the next version of Quake while your wife and kids are watching, and then your life would be over.

• Like 2

That's what I'm doing.

It's a good thing "everyone got used to the spyware all over the internet" and can safely ignore your paranoia.

The Dark Mod forums is not a "secret club". We are actively encouraging as much "Public Participation" as possible.

A larger audience means more potential mission authors.

If that conflicts with your intended usage, I apologize.

B)

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah; there is a lot of Big Brother (state) and especially Little Brother (corporate) crap on the Internet to be wary of, but really -- and open source mod? If that's a cause for concern, everything online should be.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Folks, just because you don't give a damn about your privacy, that doesn't mean nobody should. I for one think that having a Google +1 tracking cookie embedded in the forum software is unnecessary at best. After all, what is it good for? It's something else to have search engine bots crawl the forum to refresh the search engine cache.

Still, nbohr1more, what if your employer managed to cross-reference your RL identity to your online persona? He might start to question your loyalty to the company, and your personal ethics as a whole. After all, not long ago there was this thread about employers checking the FB accounts of their employees. So, what did you do wrong? Oh, nothing, you just love a game where you play a Thief and rob other people blind. Might as well extend that to RL, stealing from your company. You KNOW that to reason is ridiculous enough if your boss desperately needs to fire somebody.

Anyway, I think we Germans tend to take our privacy much more seriously that the rest of the world, especially North Americans. Maybe because it was such a hard fight to achieve that privacy? Who knows.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• Folks, just because you don't give a damn about your privacy, that doesn't mean nobody should
  • What if your employer managed to cross-reference your RL identity to your online persona? He might start to question your loyalty to the company, and your personal ethics as a whole.
  • After all, not long ago there was this thread about employers checking the FB accounts of their employees.
  • Anyway, I think we Germans tend to take our privacy much more seriously that the rest of the world,

+1, you said all the stuff I forgot to - nail on the head etc.

And just to add to this topic, a friend of mine was asked by her employer to hand over her LinkedIn creds, her manager's reasoning was he thought she might be siphoning of potential contacts etc. Needless to say I when she asked for my advice on this I told her it was a breech of data of protection law and pointed out that the bare faced cheek of the guy was tantamount to him insinuating she is dishonest and untrustworthy.

Google, FB, AOL, Yahoo, Microsoft, Amazon and others all have a similar caviler and in some case malignant attitude to users privacy. This is why I take every opportunity to restrict the amount of info they get. And if that means banging on about it to the point of being annoying then so be it.

And just to add to this topic, a friend of mine was asked by her employer to hand over her LinkedIn creds, her manager's reasoning was he thought she might be siphoning of potential contacts etc. Needless to say I when she asked for my advice on this I told her it was a breech of data of protection law and pointed out that the bare faced cheek of the guy was tantamount to him insinuating she is dishonest and untrustworthy.

I've heard of that happening in America, and find it incredible that anyone would be submissive enough to go along with it. Are people really that desperate for shitty jobs working for abusive arseholes that they are willing to hand over personal information that has nothing to do with work just because the boss says so? If he asks to grope their genitals because they "might be" smuggling stationery out of the office, would they just bend over and comply with that, too?

I'd have thought in the UK and Europe it would be illegal to even attempt to get that kind of information from employees, but I'm not an expert on the matter. It would certainly be illegal to fire somebody for refusing.

BD, was that friend from the UK as well? I hope this insanity has not spread to Europe yet. :angry:

I've heard of that happening in America, and find it incredible that anyone would be submissive enough to go along with it. Are people really that desperate for shitty jobs working for abusive arseholes that they are willing to hand over personal information that has nothing to do with work just because the boss says so?

+1. Also, I find again and again that I have every reason to be happy to be self-employed. And to have enough customers to be able to switch if anyone of them starts to get strange ideas.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Don't let me be misunderstood, I value my privacy (hence, no Facebook/LinkedIn/whatever, and even if I did, I would never agree to hand over my account for the sake of a job). But a forum for a non-commercial game will be the least of the worries you could have on the Internet. That's fact.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'd have thought in the UK and Europe it would be illegal to even attempt to get that kind of information from employees,

It is, and I should have mentioned it was the UK, but that said a judge ruled it illegal in a recent court ruling in the US as well.

BD, was that friend from the UK as well? I hope this insanity has not spread to Europe yet.

Yeah, thats what was stunning about it, cheeky bloody git etc.

I value my privacy (hence, no Facebook/LinkedIn/whatever

+1

If my job cares about my personal life enough for it to affect my position, that's not a job I trust right there. But then again I tend towards human rights NGOs where personal life and the right to privacy are already valued (and our personal lives are very connected anyway).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yes, better make sure that nobody sees you visiting the web forum of an open-source computer game. Google might show a targeted ad for the next version of Quake while your wife and kids are watching, and then your life would be over.

You jest, but wait until the border police questions your motives and sends you back home (or doesn't let you back into your country) because of what they "found online".

This has already happened, from the two british teens who got turned back, to the people whre the border police routinely look up their wishlists on Amazon, their Fb accounts, etc, look into your files on your laptop etc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093796/Emily-Bunting-Leigh-Van-Bryan-UK-tourists-arrested-destroy-America-Twitter-jokes.html

If you think that you are excempt from it for whatever reasons, you are deluding yourself. It's only a matter of time it will negatively affect yourself or someone you care about, and then it is too late.

(Fun fact of the day: I posted a few silly things on usenet. They should have been long ago a time of the past, just like whatever stupid things I said 10 years ago on some random real-life party while drunk. But Google bought the entire usenet archive and folded it into their search index. Guess what you can still access today if you know the right keywords? And you can easily dismiss "oh any employer who searches for such is someone you don't want to work for". Guess what happens when every employer does this, even the government etc.? You stay jobless?)

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If that's the kind of society we end up living in I'm content selling off all of my things and living in the woods.

Here's how I imagine a group of engineers would live if society goes all "big brother" on us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rM7QDi_5E

A bit of a long watch, but I thought it was worth my time. I love how Loren Amelang is using his whole "swiss-army knife" of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering to live out in the woods. This must be why engineers are so invaluable! :laugh:

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

If that's the kind of society we end up living in I'm content selling off all of my things and living in the woods.

there's a lot of "ifs" you can think of, with regards to privacy. There are more that you wouldn't even dream of. I think that staying away from social sites or other forms of communication that involve personally identifying data is prudence, not paranoia. Services that you do not pay for directly just means that you pay for them indirectly. That applies to just about anything on the internet, and often real-world services as well. pay for your shit in cash whenever applicable.

Here's how I imagine a group of engineers would live if society goes all "big brother" on us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rM7QDi_5E

A bit of a long watch, but I thought it was worth my time. I love how Loren Amelang is using his whole "swiss-army knife" of mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering to live out in the woods. This must be why engineers are so invaluable! :laugh:

Really interesting :-D