The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus' animations

Arcturus

Yours is much better, but it does make the AI bend forward much more than the original. That would have some implications, as the AI is looking more straight down--it creates a window of several seconds where he won't be able to see the player.

post-9-0-21492700-1405815542.jpg

That torch animation could be used for checking in little dark holes for the player. Would add a crazy tension

• Like 2

Amazing work Arcturus! Thoughts about the kneeling one, couldn't there be two different ones of that too? One with the head bent down looking at the ground, like a greeting/sermon type, and one like with the torches that is more a "looking for something" kneel. Maybe in combination with some subtle sideway glance/movement of the head in the latter one.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Yeah, I saw that. Very nice. Though, I will probably not put time into learning how to use Blender at this time. Might be good for future projects anyways, thanks for sharing. :)

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Hmm, that original search animation isn't great...there's definite sliding of the feet there. But I do like the way the weight of the character is more on the balls of the foot. It makes him look more like he's ready for action. Yours is better overall, but has the character hitting solidly on the heel, which makes him look more like he's going somewhere specific, rather than being ready for trouble at a moment's notice. Also, it seems like the left knee is popping a bit when he steps forward.

Also, when people are unsure or treading carefully, they tend to hold their hands open rather than in a fist; that's adding to the sense that this is a slow, purposeful walk rather than a search.

• Like 1

What always buggered me about the pain animation is that it is far to slow. If you get hurt, you react much faster in real life. This does not mean that I suggest the overall animation to be shorter, but the "get away" from the pain source should happen much faster.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I agree with Obs. I think the recovery period is too long (I know you've probably kept the same length as the original, but I think that's a flaw in the original).

• Like 1