The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus' animations

Arcturus

I imagine there are left and right animations so that AI will lay down with their head on the left side of their sitting position, or to the right side of their sitting position.

We need both so that mappers can place an AI on either side of a bed, and give them the proper anim so the head ends up on the pillow.

I think it's to do with the fact that the animation doesn't move the origin bone, just the mesh. So you need one for each side of the bed. Can't speak to why one is lower than the other though...I would think they should be the same.

It's probably not necessary to have a right and left sleep for zombies.

This is how it looks right now (this is animated gif):

post-2001-0-85082900-1365886058_thumb.gif

Couldn't it be animated like this in stead?

post-2001-0-71587900-1365886073_thumb.gif

Origin bone in those animations is located between the feet. It goes on a straight line from between the feet on the bed to the feet on the floor. That's my another question: could origin bone be located in the middle of the body when zombie is lying in stead of the feet? All other bones are following the origin so I think it would be easier to animate it when the origin doesn't move at all (or rotates only).

It's only a model...

Couldn't it be animated like this in stead?

No idea. Yours seems to make sense, but the code for sleeping has some conditions for sliding into position; I have no idea if they'd be affected by changing the animation or not.

could origin bone be located in the middle of the body when zombie is lying in stead of the feet?

I don't see why not.

If you change the animation, will the origin move relative to where the current anims have it?

This would be a problem for code that cares where the origin is.

Edit: And, to keep release maps from breaking, we'd need to maintain the left and right anims, because mappers used one or the other when placing their sleepers relative to the beds.

looks great, maybe make the whole standing cycle a bit slower? I foud it more creepy..

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Thanks guys. I uploaded the animations. I also added word 'zombie' to previous animations. They don't work yet. Zombie is currently using human sleep anims. What do I need to change?

Bikerdude, the new files are:

tdm_ai_undead_zombie.def
tdm_ai_undead.mtr
tdm_ai_undead.skin
tdm_zombie01.md5mesh
zombie_walk.md5anim
zombie_run.md5anim
zombie_sleep_2_idle.md5anim
zombie_sleep.md5anim
zombie_idle.md5anim

Did I miss something?

looks great, maybe make the whole standing cycle a bit slower? I foud it more creepy..

The whole idea was to make it fast enough to surprise the player.

It's only a model...

1. Zombie is currently using human sleep anims.
  2. Bikerdude, the new files are:

tdm_ai_undead_zombie.def
tdm_ai_undead.mtr
tdm_ai_undead.skin
tdm_zombie01.md5mesh
zombie_walk.md5anim
zombie_run.md5anim
zombie_sleep_2_idle.md5anim
zombie_sleep.md5anim
zombie_idle.md5anim

1. That interesting as it now maybe answer a question I have had for a while and that is can Ai now be set to sleep on the floor? as the Zombies in your vid are getting of the floor. That said is there a going to sleep anim for normal Ai..?
  2. The only other thing I will need to figure out what folder to put some the .MESH and .ANIM files in..

Human can use zombie animations, but they have different idle pose, so they won't match exactly. I may create animations for human AI. Mesh and anim files are in models\md5\chars\undead\zombie

I also need to make lay down animation for zombie. Is it supposed to be a calm, ordinary laying down? I can simply reverse the 'get up' animation.

It's only a model...

maybe make the whole standing cycle a bit slower?

Mappers can slow down the animation with an anim_rate spawnarg if they wish.

What do I need to change?

You need to change the zombie model_def so that the animations relating to sleep (don't remember the names off-hand) point to the zombie versions. Then put "sleeping" "1" on the entity.

I also need to make lay down animation for zombie. Is it supposed to be a calm, ordinary laying down? I can simply reverse the 'get up' animation.

I'm pretty sure that's all D3 did too.

The animation looks natural and fluid - excellent! :wub:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks!

You need to change the zombie model_def so that the animations relating to sleep (don't remember the names off-hand) point to the zombie versions. Then put "sleeping" "1" on the entity.

They first play sit animation, then they play sit_2_sleep. So we need to get rid of one animation. Also sit_2_sleep is not proper for zombie, because it goes to sleep straight form standing. Can we make a new name for zombie? EDT: Same thing with standing up. There's: sleep_2_sit and sit_up. If I replace the former with sleep and the latter with sleep_2_idle than it will work, but it will play sleep animation for 2 frames unnecessarily.

It's only a model...

The code looks for those animation names specifically, so to change them you'd need to change the code. When I had the D3 zombies working, I just took the same names (sleep_2_sit) but pointed them to the proper zombie animations.*

You're probably right that we want to have zombies that start out already in sleep position, rather than playing their "lay down" animation first, in case they are in the player's POV at map start. You can accomplish this by a "anim" "[sleep name]" spawnarg on the zombie, but then he won't play his get up or lay down animations--he'll just teleport into standing when alerted. We really need some kind of "lead in" and "lead out" animation capability with idles, but it doesn't exist yet.

* edit: There's also the issue that some maps have used the existing animation names already.

What I meant was that with human AI there are three animations: sit down, lay down and sleep (because they sleep on couch). With zombie there are only two: lay down and sleep (because they sleep on floor). If we're going to use the same code for zombie there will be: lay down, sleep and sleep again. The same thing is with waking up. Since zombie sleep animation is only two frames long (zombie doesn't breathe) having two sleep animations in a row is not a problem.

It's only a model...

What I meant was that with human AI there are three animations: sit down, lay down and sleep (because they sleep on couch). With zombie there are only two: lay down and sleep (because they sleep on floor). If we're going to use the same code for zombie there will be: lay down, sleep and sleep again. The same thing is with waking up. Since zombie sleep animation is only two frames long (zombie doesn't breathe) having two sleep animations in a row is not a problem.

One COULD eventually have humans sleeping on the floor as well, such as beggars, for instance. Not saying we should, but it's a possibility.

Any animations for the zombie could also be used for regular humans. You just use the anim_replace spawnarg.