The Dark Mod Forums

Thief vs Assassin's Creed

Kvorning

The first two AC games were a good time. The last one was not. No idea about Black Flag but I'm tentatively calling it a "don't buy" for me at least and I'm pretty sure that's going to stick.

The new Thief game I'm going to buy and play just so I can witness first hand what they did to a magnificent franchise.

Either way, these two games are in no way similar and a vote on it is asinine; oh wait yes they are..... now.

Companies that go after the dollar instead of pushing the boundaries of what games can and should be are putting themselves in a position to fail. Maybe not now but with gestures like this their longevity is marked.

And oh, I just looked at the link and Watch Dogs is by fAr the best looking game on that page because they're doing things that are new and inventive in at least some sense of the word.

Edited by Lux

Completely agree with you on the first two games. The design and story peaked in the second one, where the visual part was really the stunning bit. After that, it became apparent that the story would never end, and the gameplay would never evolve, but rather get easier. Although from the first AC, it was just a obvious "press key to win" design.

Edited by Kvorning

Yeah, though I don't know about that. The timing in the first AC game had to be spot on or you'd get raped. It was challenging, frustrating, and fun.

I don't know between AC1 and Arkham Asylam who developed the fighting style (chicken or egg, whoever came first) but its definitely consolified garbage either way. Its fun and looks good... but as far as player control, yea, like you said, press button to win (or block!)....

Either way with AC the second story was a progression and then they just said f@ck all you loyal fans! and went some stupid direction and added a bunch of player unwanted nonsense...as they always do.

And now what??.... its pirates of the caribbean? Totally bowing to the smirks and urges of the players talking about the "sea battles" from the 3rd game... but .... that's because the sea battles where the only FUN FREAKING ORIGINAL PART of the 3rd game.

So lame. So uncreative. So milk a tree for sap. And we're the saps. It wreaks.

Edited by Lux

I don't think one can compare thief and ac. I've played the first ac, and although it was quite good imho, I never looked at it as a stealth game. I mean you have stealth mechanics in them, similar like in hitman, but it's not the main mechanism of the game. ac was more like a jump and run to me, similar to prince of persia, just without the puzzles but with the stealth aspects instead.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

well am likely to get both games anyway, because you can't really criticize t4 until after you play it as a whole, and the sea battle's in assassins creed 3 were hard but fun to play and there's more of them in assassins creed 4. but as the vote would have gone I would have voted for assassin's creed 4. thief went down hill at thief 3, due to all the bugs in the game, like a boss that you could make fall over in the oil but didn't have the animations to get up again and so couldn't. and very small maps, due to memory limitations in the xbox version ment the maps were small in all versions. And last time I tried to play thief 3 the launcher kept crashing due to unknown reason, the game itself would launch, but when exiting I got a error message saying the launcher which was separate from the main game had crashed.

If you don't like the game after the fact, how does that help anyone, and how does that influence EM to make a better product?

You are assuming there was a sale involved. I for one, intend to pirate the everlovin' fuck out of this product. If I like it, then I will pay for it. I kind of feel like doing this for all videogames until the industry brings back things like, I dunno, the existence of a real freaking return policy.

Existence of certain elements that hinder enjoyment my foot. TDS didn't have rope arrows or swimmable water. Horrible. Would still pay cash money for product.

Hands-on-trial is the only way. No refunds allowed means pirating is the only real voice you have in improving the state of gaming. pay after play.

Hands-on-trial is the only way. No refunds allowed means pirating is the only real voice you have in improving the state of gaming. pay after play.

I've mentioned this before, but steam has got the perfect system already in place for a time-limited demo of ANY game. Download the full game, and let Steam's online mode kill your game+savegames once you reach "x" hours of playing. PC gamers can ensure that their hardware can handle the game, taffers can ensure that this will actually be an enjoyable game, and devs don't have to waste time and money on the big side project of a playable demo.

This could also really really good for small-time developers, who really don't have the time and money to make a playable demo. Their game may not look AAA, and there probably isn't a demo, so people will overlook it without a second thought. Kind of sad for those small devs that need publicity and purchases.

I do have some sympathy for publishers' suspicion of gamers, but it bugs me that they don't actually implement the solution to the bulk of this problem. Call me retro, but the shareware system (i.e. "Please share this free 'episode one' of our game") seems more and more like a good solution.

Or we can go back to game cartridges. They're really hard to pirate too. ;)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

No refunds allowed means pirating is the only real voice you have in improving the state of gaming. pay after play.

Piracy will never improve the state of gaming, it will cause only harm. It is simply false to try to make it sound that there is some noble cause for piracy.

Piracy is no noble cause, it is just people who don't want to pay for the entertainment others put a lot of work into. If you don't want to pay for the game, simply don't get it. If you play it at all, the developers deserve their salaries.

Read some reviews and check some gameplay videos and make your purchase decision based on those. Buy the game for the price of a beer pint when it is on discount. That way you will not be disappointed in your purchase.

Think about the poor dev's children who don't get food on the table because you get your entertainment for free.

Think about the poor publisher executives, who get only two new sports cars instead of five plus a boat with their bonuses, only because you get your entertainment for free.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

@Sotha

You started off noble but those last two statements make the whole thing ring of sarcasm.

@Mortem Desino

This is a good idea though I'd rather see it level based as in, you get to play the first 1 or 2 levels of the game and base your decision on that. If ever I'm hesitant about a game release I just watch "Let's Play" videos and that is always been plenty for me to make a decision.