The Dark Mod Forums

Having trouble with blackjacking? AI seem really hard? (Video)

AluminumHaste

How do you guys feel about the blackjack leaving faint marks wherever it strikes? I suspect the problem is that it's not clear when you're aiming too high, low or hitting an obstruction. A small detail like that may help people get acclimated.

I like it. Feedback on BJ failure right now is practically nonexistent.

For a little while, I had thought of a very short grace period after a failed blackjack that would still allow the player another quick attempt. This came from seeing a ton of Let's Play videos in which people frantically mashed attack even after failing the first attempt.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

why's is there only a couple of people in this thread complaining about the way the mod plays, and it seems to be the same person complaining about the mod in most threads, the mod wasn't built for a minority. Basically it reads in all the threads that one person is complaining about every way the mod plays.

Its not thief, its a thief like mod, so there will be differences due to copyright infringements, so the guards wont be easy to knockout, you can't nudge them like you could in thief, you don't play as Garrett.

Or a training mission with more blackjack practicing? Different guards and outfits in a room and get them from behind, front, takedowns, alerted, patrolling, etc. then they reset quicky after.

Should a game have every enemy eliminated the same way forever? LGS did have an intent for different enemy types and alternatives. From thief 1 to 2, I saw cameras were one more enemy that you do not just blackjack like you used to. The dark mod continues the trend with a helmethead and lantern bearer as one more enemy to deal with.

The blackjack works okay for me on the few guards that I use it on. If the plan is to KO every guard, that would just increase the chance for failure. Like with anything that we get too much of, the odds are greater for bad karma to come back around or for winning streaks to lose. I treat a helmeted guard as a different obstacle to get around or distract, and not expect all the same npcs everywhere.

I usually just knockout the ones that get in the way, just hang around in the dark till they patrol past pickpocket them, then whack them when they come around again, usually you can follow them and find out if they stop somewhere in the dark, then whack them. crouching on double decker beds and you can knock out guards that way when they're below you. some over head beams are so low that you can crouch on them in pitch black darkness and when a guard that passes below you while its carrying a lantern you can also whack them. or hang around a door and wait for an AI to go into the handling position to open or close the door and you can whack them then.

Or a training mission with more blackjack practicing? Different guards and outfits in a room and get them from behind, front, takedowns, alerted, patrolling, etc. then they reset quicky after.

There is a "Sound and Blackjack Trainer" you can download from the mission downloader that does exactly this.

Well I'll be! I was reading a few posts about how TDM was on the easy side and was inclined to agree. I've only played three missions but the way I've always played is to just blackjack everyone and pile up the bodies. TDM has been no different. My suggestion was going to be an option where helmeted guards were immune to it and then randomizing helmetted gaurds in the map. I hadn't realized helmets already have an effect! I must just be lucky to always get the sweet spot.

Still I would enjoy having to approach missions differently. Would be really nice if guards could regain consciousness on higher difficulty. But I understand that would bring huge problems in pathing and animation. Still, i might look into it as a project at some point.

Well I'll be! I was reading a few posts about how TDM was on the easy side and was inclined to agree. I've only played three missions but the way I've always played is to just blackjack everyone and pile up the bodies. TDM has been no different.

Tkd, no offense, but why.. why the hell do you play it that way then?? Really, like you already said, you have problems with this approach on other stealth games too, so why just don't blackjack all living things in each mission instead of sneaking by? I mean it would be unfair for those who already find this game too hard to play to make it even harder but it would be fair if you would try to change your style into a more challenging one. Maybe even without quickloading if you like to.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

You'll find some missions where it's easy to blackjack (due to types of guards and level design) and some where it's hard or even impossible.

Yea I'm sure its a case of trying more missions. In The North has already shown me that there are some people you just can't whack :)

Tkd, no offense, but why.. why the hell do you play it that way then?? Really, like you already said, you have problems with this approach on other stealth games too, so why just don't blackjack all living things in each mission instead of sneaking by? I mean it would be unfair for those who already find this game too hard to play to make it even harder but it would be fair if you would try to change your style into a more challenging one. Maybe even without quickloading if you like to.

Don't worry none taken. I'm aware I could change my play style and I really should try it. But I'm not one for role-playing. What I really enjoy is playing effectively within the confines of the game. And unfortunately whacking everything that moves is the most effective way. If I eventually manage to write it no-one else will have to play it. I just want to change things for my own personal taste.

Edited by Tkd

I was getting entirely too close and, hitting waaaaaay too high up. I think what some have trouble with is the armor on the gaurds. I don't remember the gaurds having armor to contend with. It makes not only arrow shots harder in some cases, but blackjacking as well (as seen in the video.) You can't just get that head shot and go. You have to squeeze it between the armor and hit the sweet spot.

On a funny note, I shot a gaurd in the eye today. He yelled instantly "AHHHA! My eye!" He was momentarily confused and blinded. That was a nice touch.