The Dark Mod Forums

Spider-free missions

ambitiousbarrister

Hello, first time poster here , and I would like to start off by thanking in advance to everyone who has made this project possible.

Now, onto my problem : I have always had a mild case of aracnophobia and I remember almost having a panic attack when I first saw "that" particular warehouse in The Metal Age (But I soldiered on...making it eventually the only Thief game I managed to finish so far).

I have the problem under control ,more or less, right now but I still get too nervous when near a giant arachnid and I can't effectively creep past them since I always cut and run or try to kill them.

My question is this : Is there any way to know which missions have spiders in them? I have tried the following link :

http://forums.thedar...752#entry312752

But the mission "Alberic's curse" has one right off the start and it's not listed as having them so can I be reccomended any with 100% certainty that there are no spiders there?

Thanks in advance for anyone reading there and I'm sorry if this message sounds too whiny or demanding.

Spider Pits of the Arachnoid Overmind looks right up your alley I do not recall any spiders from Lords and Legacy, Not an Ordinary Guest, The Crown of Penitence, The Chalice of Kings (although not its sequel, The Heart of Lone Salvation), The Builder's Influence, or The Caduceus of St. Alban (although Bikerdude revises his missions every now and then, and may have snuck a spider or two in there in a more recent version).

And yeah, we might benefit from a tag system, even if it is spoilery.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A community driven tagging system would be the best. I suppose the Team has enough on it's plate at the moment with some more important things.

I suppose almost anyone could make a simple web page with key words associated to missions. People could sort them and filter out key words. Maybe a small registration-based rating system?

The above are the author's opinion and does not necessary reflect the Team's official opinion. I think the team does not need to do all, and the Community should be employed as support as often as possible.

So... Any web-wizards around here? Up for a challenge? Want to help us out?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Spider Pits of the Arachnoid Overmind looks right up your alley I do not recall any spiders from Lords and Legacy, Not an Ordinary Guest, The Crown of Penitence, The Chalice of Kings (although not its sequel, The Heart of Lone Salvation), The Builder's Influence, or The Caduceus of St. Alban (although Bikerdude revises his missions every now and then, and may have snuck a spider or two in there in a more recent version).

The Caduceus of St. Alban does have spiders if I recall right. (I think it's just two though)

'web' page - good one! haha! :D

Seriously, consider another possibility. I've not tried this but often the colour and texture help. I recall an old tv thing called snow spider or something that wasn't shuddery at all because it was white. If so, try the following.

Close darkmod first if open.

Create in your darkmod folder the following folder and subfolders within it:

models\md5\chars\monsters

Create or find a tiny totally white picture in tga format and put it in that folder and rename it spider.tga

Make copies in the same folder and name them spider_black.tga, spider_child.tga, spider_pale.tga, spider_yellow.tga

Now they should show in game as textureless white and might not be so horrible which means you can play all games and get full gameplay (they can still kill!)

Create or find a tiny totally white picture in tga format and put it in that folder and rename it spider.tga

Alternatively: polka dots! :cool:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

If you encounter a spider in a game keep telling yourself: It isn't real, it isn't real, it isn't real ...

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

If you encounter a spider in a game keep telling yourself: It isn't real, it isn't real, it isn't real ...

Correct! Keep telling yourself "they're not real." However the one dangling from a strand of web directly above your unsuspecting head as you read this post is VERY real indeed.

Made you look up.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Back in my old flat we used to have some huge brown spiders that would always show up at night, and were fast as lightning. I mean huge, in normal stance they would be like 6-8 cm wide. I would hunt them down with a big cup, capture them and release them in a neighbouring unused, green lot. Never thought much of it, but it appears they were actually a dangerous species, with serious poison.

Updated the wiki mostly form memory, please feel free to correct the entries or send corrections.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)