The Dark Mod Forums

[Resolved in TDM 2.06] Possible to make food give you more health?

Wallace

just as well, I'm not making much progress in trying to teach myself idtech4 and it's scripting. Not that I can't understand the syntax I just don't know where anything is located and what stuff is named or what stuff is already implemented. What really halted me here is , I couldn't find the "tdm_equip_actions.script" file which contains the event that gets called when you use an item in darkmod. Oh well maybe next time. I have since downloaded a grep searcher for archive file formats hopefully this will help me.

Edited by c0mputer-fr0d

It's in tdm_scripts.pk4. You can unpack all the archives into normal folders and tdm will still run ok, which makes it easier (but still not trivial) to find things.

I have a python script that searches inside the pk4s of a standard tdm installation, including inside FM pk4s. I can post it after work.

Looking for things at least has the side-effect of finding interesting things you didn't even know to look for, and gives you ideas ... and generally gives you a picture of how things are organized and how systems work.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

One thing I've always thought about food in Thief & TDM.

If you eat a little you're health improves and that's ok.

But if you trough down multiple wheels of cheese, a barrel of apples or two and a few deer legs in a single sitting you ought to feel decidedly unwell.

Would that be something worth thinking of, eat and health improves up to a critical amount of food after that health starts to decline ?

This would be ordinary food found in ordinary places, magical/blessed food would be exempt from this rule

Edited by esme

I kinda like this idea, it would be something you could implement in your maps if you want for now and if enough people like it would be make it part of the game .You could slow down the player by a certain amount if they've eaten enough food or totally make the camera do crazy shit like they are dizzy and nauseous.

There are a couple of games, where you can "feel" the effect of alcohol. From the top of my head, I would name Skyrim and The Witcher, but there are more.

If you want to introduce something like that, you can write a script with a counter for consumed food. If the counter hits a critical value, you can change the walking speed and add some camera effects (with the latter, I am not that sure how, but it is nothing you can't find out). The problem I see here, is that you also need to decrease the counter over time (simulating digestion). For that you need a reasonable amount of time and have to define somewhere that this value may not be negative (otherwise the player can stuff himself without any consequences after fasting from the start). All in all it would be a nice gimmick, but I am not sure, if it is worth the effort.

Edited by Destined

DeusEx too, not that I remember the effects of alcohol so well, but I definitely remember the effects of the drug, which ramped up the drinking effect to some insane swirling level.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

A bit like drinking alcohol in another game - but I can't remember which one

First one I saw it in was the first Duke Nukem

...All in all it would be a nice gimmick, but I am not sure, if it is worth the effort.

Yeah it would be a fair amount of effort & I'm not sure what gameplay benefit there would be, if any, just an idle thought

I unpacked all the pk4 files into regular folders and removed the pk4s from the tdm folder and the game wouldn't run anymore. I would really like to have it run from the regular folders because it makes testing gui scripts much easier.

You should be able to make that work.

I unpacked all the pk4 files into regular folders and removed the pk4s from the tdm folder and the game wouldn't run anymore. I would really like to have it run from the regular folders because it makes testing gui scripts much easier.

Like Springheel said, this does work. But don't unpack the three tdm_game*.pk4 files. Sorry, forgot to mention that bit.

You should end up with around 20 top-level folders in your darkmod folder, beginning with af/ dds/ def/ and ending with /xdata

still doesn't work for me I extracted all but "tdm_game01.pk4" and "tdm_game02.pk4" here is the output

WARNING:Fan missions path does not exist for installed fm: bh
------ Initializing File System ------
Current search path:
  C:\Program Files (x86)\TheDarkMod/
  C:\Program Files (x86)\TheDarkMod\tdm_game02.pk4 (2 files)
  C:\Program Files (x86)\TheDarkMod\tdm_game01.pk4 (2 files)
File System Initialized.
--------------------------------------
----- Initializing Decls -----
------------------------------
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...shutting down QGL
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
_default material not found

Edited by c0mputer-fr0d

• nbohr1more changed the title to [Resolved in TDM 2.06] Possible to make food give you more health?