The Dark Mod Forums

Snatcher's Workshop - Mods for The Dark Mod

snatcher

1 hour ago, CountMorillonite said:

I'm assuming the limitations regards "savegames" still applies.

Changes to core parts of the game render current savegames incompatible and therefore unusable. This happens when updating from an official version of TDM to the next but also with minor modifications. The game freezes when attempting to load the savegame and the only way out is to kill the game. Considering that this is due to happen to all players with every major release there should be a more elegant fall back, in example a message stating something like "This savegame is corrupted or incompatible with this version of TDM" followed by a return to the main menu. It isn't the case, unfortunately.

Your assumption is correct: the moment you start using a different version of the Modpack existing savegames will stop working. Upgrade only when ready!!!

1 hour ago, CountMorillonite said:

Can I skip v3.3 and activate v3.4 which may give me the v3.3 upgrade as well or do I have to activate v3.3 as well. Or, to put it another way, if I activate v3.4 , are the v3.3 upgrades included.

The Modpack always is self-contained, no matter which version. The most recent release includes everything and it is the latest and greatestĀ šŸ˜ and previous versions are outdated and must be discarded.

Let me know if you have further questions. Cheers!

TDM Modpack 4.0

So v3.4 has all the stuff from v3.2 & v3.3 Once I install v3.4 and activate it, I don't need the others and can delete them. OR, I can simply inactivate them but keep them, while activating v3.4 to give it a trial run.

If, for whatever reason, I want to inactivate v3.4 and return to any of the earlier versions, it's a simple matter of swapping.

That's how I'm understanding this.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the right place to suggest including a mod? If so I'd like to propose the keypad I made:

The mod introduces keypads that require a code to unlock, eg: 1337 then press confirm. Comes with two versions: A modern looking one (supports typing words in SMS style) and a steampunk variant that looks older and worn out, both use existing textures and only include simple models for the keypad body and buttons. Created for a somewhat scifi campaign I'll likely never finish and I'd like other mappers to easily find it and benefit from this too.

Hi MirceaKitsune,

This whole thread mainly is about the TDM Modpack (I acknowledge the title can be misleading). This probably isn't the place for the Keypad but you and your mod are welcome here.

The TDM Modpack is limited to mods that can be used right away and with ease by players in existing missions. Your keypad must be thoughtfully and carefully integrated into a map therefore such mod isn't suited for the Modpack.

@wesp5's Unofficial Patch includes, among other features, tools for mappers such as a flint, an invisibility potion... and even prefabs although I am not sure if these are new or updated versions.

I can support your work and I am happy to try and collaborate where I can but having a mod formally integrated into TDM is out of my reach. Either you have the contacts or you get lucky and your mod is found of interest by someone with the knowledge and/or the power.

I would definitely like to see your Keypad featuring in future missions and while I can hardly put two brushes together in DarkRadiant I will have a look at it. My suggestion to increase your chances is to provide a small test map along with the mod to showcase your work.

16 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

[...] Created for a somewhat scifi campaign I'll likely never finish [...]

Why you talented people aim so high. Build something small that is complete on its own. Release. Expand your something and make the current whole complete on its own. Release. Expand...

• Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

Ahhh, got it! I wasn't sure if it's for universal mods or FM specific mods only: We get deeper customization in some missions but rarely any global mods you can run with every FM. Very happy global modding is getting some attention!

In that regard I once made a complex damage system which allows taking damage per limb, inspired by the first DeusEx game. It later included support for augmentations that give you special abilities as you upgrade them... problem is I think that part remained unfinished, and the upgrade items would have to be placed by maps which is an issue. The two scripts should be easy to separate though... I guess I'll share it too in case anyone can make use of my final work on it.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

53 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

In that regard I once made a complex damage system which allows taking damage per limb, inspired by the first DeusEx game. It later included support for augmentations that give you special abilities as you upgrade them... problem is I think that part remained unfinished, and the upgrade items would have to be placed by maps which is an issue. The two scripts should be easy to separate though... I guess I'll share it too in case anyone can make use of my final work on it.

Holy crap - I didn't know this existed! I just placed v3 in my root folder and it works! I am astonished by the amount of ideas you put into this. Execution looks extremely professional!

I don't know what to make of it but I am speechless, @MirceaKitsune !

• Thanks 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

I might add the keypad mod into my patch, but as download numbers of that are rather low, I suggest you contact some core developers to get it the next TDM version! The damage to limb mod sounds nice too, but I think it changes too much compared to the original game to be included in my patch. Snatcher's mod is the better place for that...

Edited by wesp5

49 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

[...] I think it changes too much compared to the original game to be included in my patch [...]

Yep. It does.

49 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

[...] Snatcher's mod is the better place for that... [...]

MirceaKitsune's mod can perfectly be its own thing.

TDM Modpack 4.0

TDM Modpack v3.5 released in the opening post

Starting with this update you no longer need to "shoulder" a body to get to see the tag (name/status) at the bottom, just grab (frob) the body and there you have it:

Mercenary.jpg

Crazy-Zealot.jpg

Skeleton.jpg

This feature has been included in the "Quiet Objects" mod, which is now called "Smart Objects", and it also works with droppable inventory items:

HouseKey.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

v3.5 also introduces the initial release of the "Hunter Bow" mod.

Some missions alter the properties of the bow to make it draw arrows faster and I thought there must be some demand out there for such mod. Enable the Hunter Bow mod and you will draw the bow faster in all missions.

Hunter-Bow.jpg

The Hunter Bow mod is entirely optional:

JSGME-2.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note I made progress with "Alchemy" and arrow effects now fade out nicely (finally!). The approach employed allows me to script any effect and/or event and I should be able now to produce more arrow types. We already have Night & Day and I am thinking we could probably have and Order & Chaos combo... we shall see.

Oh, the "Moonlight" arrow or recipe has been renamed to "Starlight", which seems like a tighter name.

I hope you have fun with this new version. Here is the full changelog:

==============================
  v3.5 - New release
------------------------------
ā€¢ SMART OBJECTS MOD v1.1: AI status/names and some item names are displayed onscreen when grabbed.
ā€¢ PLAYER SKILLS MOD - MANIPULATION v1.8: Proper support for sconce_2candles_rigid (around 40 flames).
ā€¢ PLAYER SKILLS MOD - COMBINATION v1.2: Arrow effects fade out nicely now. Improved FX.
ā€¢ HUNTER BOW MOD v1.0: Initial release
ā€¢ (Internal) Code adjustments.

Cheers!

TDM Modpack 4.0

Congratulation to another update of your mod! I am trying to include the name-on-frob-instead-of-shouldering feature into my patch, but even when I copy the whole smart-items section over, I have the problem that the name stays on screen even after frobbing has ended. Do you have any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

Edited by wesp5

1 hour ago, snatcher said:

@wesp5

The below must be initiated before the loop begins. You very likely included them within the loop!

This could well be. I placed them before if ($player1.heldEntity() != $null_entity), is that already in the loop?

Ā 

Edited by wesp5

This is a loop:

while (1)
{
	sys.waitFrame();
}

Place them before your "while".

Now, if you don't want to "mute objects" then don't include these pieces of code:

string grabbed_sound = "";
--------------------------------------------
	grabbed_sound = grabbed_entity.getKey("no_bounce_sound");
	grabbed_entity.setKey("no_bounce_sound", "1");
--------------------------------------------
	if (!grabbed_entity.isType("idAFEntity_Base"))
		grabbed_entity.setKey("no_bounce_sound", grabbed_sound);
  • Like 1

TDM Modpack 4.0

2 hours ago, snatcher said:

Place them before your "while".

Now, if you don't want to "mute objects" then don't include these pieces of code:

About the loop, I found and fixed this now. I had intergrated it into the shouldering loop and the "while" was far away ;).

As for the silent objects, thanks and I will not include this. It makes more sense for patch and mod to be different anyway!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

TDM Modpack v3.6 released in the opening post

Introducing... the (Standalone) Flash Grenade Mod v1.0

I see Flashbombs as reliable, chaotic but non-lethal, short-range tools. For this mod Flashbomb properties have been altered to function as such:

• Flashbombs are clumsy and loud but as effective as ever.
  • Instead of throwing Flashbombs like a cannonball we now toss them.
  • Instead of exploding on impact Flashbombs now have a fuse.

Although we can still control the tossing distance with a long key press the range has been greatly reduced or limited. The goal is that players can learn by trial and error where Flashbombs should eventually explode, something extremely difficult to master with the original design.

I will not dive into technical details but let me to say that each time I toy with different parameters such as propagation sounds, distances, object physics (gravity, mass, velocity, friction...) I get different but still reasonable results so I don't know anymore what parameters feel best and I settled for the moment on what I present here today. I remain open to suggestions on how to fine-tune Flashbombs further.

Ā 

Flasbombs are powerful and have no mercy with humans:

Flash-Grenade1.jpg

Ā 

Flashbombs can be useful to distract undead and clear a path:

Flash-Grenade2.jpg

Ā 

Flashmines may be subject to modding in the future (what do we need them for?) but right now they remained unaltered:

Flash-Grenade3.jpg

Ā 

The new "ticking" sound comes from the Hazard Pay mission so thanks @kingsal for this wonderful audio file! Speaking of Kingsal, Hazard Pay remains the only mission 100% incompatible with the TDM Modpack. I remain available to assist in solving this situation.

I hope you have fun with this new mod. The download link can be found in the opening post.

Here's the full changelog:

==============================
  v3.6 - New release
------------------------------
ā€¢ STANDALONE FLASH GRENADE MOD v1.0: Initial release.
ā€¢ Modpack: Minor internal corrections, mainly to the Loot/Stealth combo.

Cheers!

TDM Modpack 4.0

3 hours ago, snatcher said:

Flashmines may be subject to modding in the future (what do we need them for?) but right now they remained unaltered:

You might want to take a look at my patch for the flashmines, I turned them into electrical mines that knock out NPCs without killing them. I see flashbombs as last second escape tools and mines make no sense for that purpose to me!

Edited by wesp5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 4:18 AM, snatcher said:

Ā 

The new "ticking" sound comes from the Hazard Pay mission so thanks @kingsal for this wonderful audio file! Speaking of Kingsal, Hazard Pay remains the only mission 100% incompatible with the TDM Modpack. I remain available to assist in solving this situation.

Ā 

Nice! Looking forward to trying this out. Can you please tell me again what is incompatibleĀ  in Hazard pay?Ā 

Ā 

Edited by kingsal

Volta Missions:Ā Ā Volta and the Stone, Volta II: Cauldron of the Gods
Standalones:Ā Snowed Inn,Ā Hazard PayĀ Ā Moongate Ruckus

Ā 

14 hours ago, kingsal said:

Can you please tell me again what is incompatibleĀ  in Hazard pay?

@kingsal

Thanks for the interest.

In Hazard Pay you included "script/tdm_user_addons.script" to load @Dragofer's Stealth Statistic Tool and that prevents players from using this file to load additional add-ons.

script/tdm_user_addons.script

#include "script/tdm_statistic_message.script"

void user_addon_init()
{
	statistic_message_init();
}

"script/tdm_user_addons.script" comes with a useful "user_addon_init()" that gets called automatically but unfortunately we don't have an equivalent in "script/tdm_custom_scripts.script" so we cannot use "script/tdm_custom_scripts.script" and we must think something else.

Unless it is decided to do without the add-on, I propose we make use the map's own script "maps/hazard_night.script" since it comes with a "main()" that gets called by the game automatically, as explained in the Wiki:

#include "script/tdm_statistic_message.script"

void main()
{
	statistic_message_init();

// rest of your code
}

Once we do this we can safely delete "script/tdm_user_addons.script".

In addition to all this I suggest deleting "script/tdm_frobactions.script" since it is not doing anything other than preventing other mods from working.

-----------------------------------------------

Summing up:

1. Replace "maps/hazard_night.script" with the one attached to this post (*).
  2. Delete "script/tdm_user_addons.script"
  3. Delete "script/tdm_frobactions.script"

(*) For this exercise I downloaded a fresh copy of Hazard Pay from the built-in downloader.

Happy to discuss further.

hazard.zip

TDM Modpack 4.0

@snatcherOkay these look like good changes.

@nbohr1moreWould this be something you or someone on the team can do for me? I don't have any of the update tools anymore.Ā 
Ā 

On 11/5/2023 at 1:55 AM, snatcher said:
  • Replace "maps/hazard_night.script" with the one attached to this post (*).
  • Delete "script/tdm_user_addons.script"
  • Delete "script/tdm_frobactions.script"

Ā 

• Like 1

Volta Missions:Ā Ā Volta and the Stone, Volta II: Cauldron of the Gods
Standalones:Ā Snowed Inn,Ā Hazard PayĀ Ā Moongate Ruckus

Ā 

20 hours ago, kingsal said:

@snatcherOkay these look like good changes.

@nbohr1moreWould this be something you or someone on the team can do for me? I don't have any of the update tools anymore.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Done. ( It's a lot easier now that missions are stored in exploded\unpacked form now. )

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

Ā 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

Ā 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 11/5/2023 at 10:55 AM, snatcher said:

"script/tdm_user_addons.script" comes with a useful "user_addon_init()" that gets called automatically but unfortunately we don't have an equivalent in "script/tdm_custom_scripts.script" so we cannot use "script/tdm_custom_scripts.script" and we must think something else.

I dare invoking @Dragofer to evaluate a "custom_script_ini()" on "script/tdm_custom_scripts.script".

TDM Modpack 4.0