The Dark Mod Forums

YouTube - Prohibited from using adblocker

Zerg Rush

54 minutes ago, chakkman said:

I don't know if you've read, but, Youtube will block users with adblockers soon. 

No shit that's the whole bloody point of this thread! :)

I mean YouTube can certainly try, but there's been a never-ending war between ad-blockers and anti-ad-blockers for as long as blockers have existed. As with most things, YouTube will probably find a solution that most people cannot bypass, but anyone determined enough will find a way.

YouTube can TRY to block users with adblockers. But whether they'll succeed or not is very much uncertain.

Edited by Xolvix

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

2 minutes ago, Xolvix said:

No shit that's the whole bloody point of this thread! :)

Just wanted to point it out, as you said that it's not encouraging you to disable your adblocker. ;) When Youtube decides to block adblockers, there's nothing to encourage or discourage you anymore. The site simply won't display content if you have your adblocker enabled.

2 minutes ago, chakkman said:

Just wanted to point it out, as you said that it's not encouraging you to disable your adblocker. ;) When Youtube decides to block adblockers, there's nothing to encourage or discourage you anymore. The site simply won't display content if you have your adblocker enabled.

What I'm saying is I've been reading people post stories about those popups asking people to disable their adblockers when trying to use YouTube. I haven't encountered that personally yet which means one of two things - either the YouTube changes haven't been rolled out into my area yet, or my ad-blocking extension has been updated to suitably deal with it.

There are people who say uBlock Origin was able to bypass the popups, so it can be done. But it's a cat-and-mouse game being played right now.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Not sure whether you had the opportunity to test the same account on different OS/browser combos, but in my case it turns out that:

Win10 + Chrome or FF – turn that damn thing off, you pleb!

MacOS + Safari – you're good to go, kind sir!

So, similar to the first rule of dating, just buy into an overpriced hardware ecosystem and you'll be golden.

7 hours ago, Xolvix said:

What I'm saying is I've been reading people post stories about those popups asking people to disable their adblockers when trying to use YouTube. I haven't encountered that personally yet which means one of two things - either the YouTube changes haven't been rolled out into my area yet, or my ad-blocking extension has been updated to suitably deal with it.

There are people who say uBlock Origin was able to bypass the popups, so it can be done. But it's a cat-and-mouse game being played right now.

That is the point,, the adblockers get a new definition which works, but a few time later the YT adblock detector also is updated. Only the mencioned userscript works (until now) without issues and if needed, there are also a lot of others which blocks the YT adblock detector or make the adblocker invisible. For this there isn't any extension in the official stores which works. Even the front-ends are working one day and the other not, needing to switch continuously between different instances. It isn't because YT is loosing money, 

I think that in the future more and more people will switch to Odysee

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts?q=youtube

On the contrary, the profits are the highest this and last year than in their entire history and are around 35 million dollars net. Obviously these measures are more aimed at satisfying shareholders than being a product of necessity.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

I have trouble seeing a mass shift to Odysee. I mean people said the same thing when reddit had its API changes - various alternatives were being mentioned (most of which I've forgotten the names of already) but it hasn't had any real impact. Same with Facebook, same with Twitter/X. People are creatures of habit and will tolerate a LOT in order to not have to change their habits. Plus of course these platforms are where all the content is - network effects and all that. I love it when legitimate alternatives are available, but unfortunately these large platforms know all the rules by now. You put the squeeze on AFTER you've achieved dominance in your market.

1 minute ago, Xolvix said:

I have trouble seeing a mass shift to Odysee. I mean people said the same thing when reddit had its API changes - various alternatives were being mentioned (most of which I've forgotten the names of already) but it hasn't had any real impact. Same with Facebook, same with Twitter/X. People are creatures of habit and will tolerate a LOT in order to not have to change their habits. Plus of course these platforms are where all the content is - network effects and all that. I love it when legitimate alternatives are available, but unfortunately these large platforms know all the rules by now. You put the squeeze on AFTER you've achieved dominance in your market.

Rumble is doing better than Odysee but obviously faces the same problems you mentioned. Odysee may have been derailed by the SEC going after LBRY:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/sec-drops-xrp-case-lbry-shuts-down

• Like 1

I would only be interested in how they are going to shut down a decentralized OpenSource platform that is spread across a gazillion different private servers.

It would be like trying to shut-down Fediverse. The only thing they can do is locate the servers one by one in each country in the world to block them, while new ones are constantly created.
Obviously they have not understood the principle of decentralized networks and believe that they can block them as a centralized network as if it were X, Meta, YT, etc. Neither LBRY itself can delete its hosted content, or Odysee can do it, it can only hide it from others users moving it to LBRY where it will remain until the end of time and in all the forks and instances.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

well to add insult to injury google now shadowbans devices blocking they're trackers 😬

tested by phone and pc if you are in the eu theres a good chance google's tools will stop functioning if A behind a vpn B using encrypted dns on a phone blocking googles tracking URL's. my phones chrome browser actually gave me several warnings about google being infested and wanted to uninstall all google tools, turned out if i disabled the secure dns proxy i use all was honky dory but as soon as i reenabled it BOOOM!!!!.

20 minutes ago, revelator said:

well to add insult to injury google now shadowbans devices blocking they're trackers 😬

tested by phone and pc if you are in the eu theres a good chance google's tools will stop functioning if A behind a vpn B using encrypted dns on a phone blocking googles tracking URL's. my phones chrome browser actually gave me several warnings about google being infested and wanted to uninstall all google tools, turned out if i disabled the secure dns proxy i use all was honky dory but as soon as i reenabled it BOOOM!!!!.

In phone i use a DNScrypt proxy and Quad9 DNS (also in PC). In Phone and PC i use the Vivaldi browser (inbuild ad/trackerblocker), it's chromium based, but all Google crap stripped out. Even the search bar in the home screen is from Vivaldi with Andisearch (or others i like). No problems with Google crap, which i don't use, except the Android itself.

Ah, well, also set permissions of all my apps to the minimum needed.

Edited by Zerg Rush

unfortunatly i cannot remove chrome from huawei 🤣 even if i use another browser chrome is the default and on my phone it cannot be changed at all unless you root it which by all accounts is seriously hard with the fig-lx1 (you can no longer opt to get the bootlocker key from them so it has to be bruteforced) 😫.

On my pc its a different problem so far only affecting gmail and external mail readers (so far only thunderbird is usable, outlook causes all kinds of weird behaviour actually had to use an app key to get it running atleast for reading mail). microsoft now also blocks any older outlook than the payed 365 version.

9 hours ago, revelator said:

unfortunatly i cannot remove chrome from huawei 🤣 even if i use another browser chrome is the default and on my phone it cannot be changed at all unless you root it which by all accounts is seriously hard with the fig-lx1 (you can no longer opt to get the bootlocker key from them so it has to be bruteforced) 😫.

I also have an Huawai, no problem to set Vivaldi as default without Root. If you have more than one browser in the system and you open a link, you have the choice to select the default one to open it, at least for me. 

At least in the EU, manufacturers, also Google, are required by law to allow the user to freely choose their default browser. 

In Windows , it also intent to make EDGE as default and it's not enough to set in your browser to use it as default, there you must do it also in the Windows Default apps setting, to avoid the use of EDGE in some links.

Also no Google search in my mobile, but my default search i use in Vivaldi, also as PWA searchbar on my homescreen, with all the other search engines, which i can sellect, synced with all other data (bookmarks, notes, passwords, etc) from my Vivaldi from the PC, no Google search in between.

Vivaldi has inbuild a own mail client, feed reader, calendar and some other usefull thingies.

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=y1nZSowjv08

https://www.technipages.com/how-to-change-the-default-browser-on-android/

https://cellularnews.com/mobile-operating-systems/android/how-to-set-default-browser-android/

Edited by Zerg Rush

Strange, try to quit all permissions to chrome in the phone settings, to force it to ask which browser you want to use to open a link, when Chrome don't work.

Refuse the browserchange in your own phone is illegal, only excepcions are when you use a company phone (EMUI crap) or it's infected with a malware.

https://www.doncaprio.com/how-to-change-default-browser-on-huawei-devices-running-emui/

On 10/27/2023 at 5:26 AM, peter_spy said:

Not sure whether you had the opportunity to test the same account on different OS/browser combos, but in my case it turns out that:

Win10 + Chrome or FF – turn that damn thing off, you pleb!

MacOS + Safari – you're good to go, kind sir!

So, similar to the first rule of dating, just buy into an overpriced hardware ecosystem and you'll be golden.

A bit tongue-in-cheek but I think there's something to be said for the browser you're using. Like I said before I haven't encountered the popup at all yet, but I've being using Firefox for ages so I wonder if the popup, even with the latest filters in uBlock origin, is just more difficult to bypass in Chrome due to Google's control of the browser.

11 hours ago, Xolvix said:

A bit tongue-in-cheek but I think there's something to be said for the browser you're using. Like I said before I haven't encountered the popup at all yet, but I've being using Firefox for ages so I wonder if the popup, even with the latest filters in uBlock origin, is just more difficult to bypass in Chrome due to Google's control of the browser.

In Chrome certainly it's difficult, but not so in other Chromium. I use Vivaldi with it's own adblocker and a iFrame extension and can watch YT without ads and treats.

Same in Midori (Gecko engine, FOSS), sync by Mozilla,  (very new, homepage still unfinished in some parts), I think way better than FF,( also with own very good default search engine, privacy focused without logs or tracking), using with uBO, but only when I regulary clear cache and update uBO. In this its the same as in FF.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Well I guess Google must feel confident in their anti-adblocking tactics. They've decided to bump up the price of YouTube Premium in several countries/regions (from the 1st of November):

https://9to5google.com/2023/11/01/youtube-premium-international-price-increase/

On the Australia subreddit someone mentioned how their plan will be increasing from $17.99 a month to $32.99. That's fun.

Edited by Xolvix

1 hour ago, Xolvix said:

Well I guess Google must feel confident in their anti-adblocking tactics. They've decided to bump up the price of YouTube Premium in several countries/regions (from the 1st of November):

https://9to5google.com/2023/11/01/youtube-premium-international-price-increase/

On the Australia subreddit someone mentioned how their plan will be increasing from $17.99 a month to $32.99. That's fun.

Confident no, desperate bad management.   

- How much do these oranges cost?
- €1000 a piece
- How crazy, this is not going to sell much.
- Yes, but I'll only have to sell 1 or 2 a day to get rich.

1 hour ago, AluminumHaste said:

Does uBlock Origin not work for you guys anymore? I'm using it in firefox and it blocks all the ads still.

It does, hence my confusion about why I don't get it. But post after post after post I see on reddit and elsewhere, even others with Firefox and uBlock Origin, having a hell of a time and discussing solutions. It's so inconsistent.

Nice OpenSource app which I use now on Desktop

https://omega.gg/MotionBox/

MotionBox accesses and aggregates videos via the VBML language.

It supports DuckDuckGo, BitTorrent, TMDB, YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Twitch, TikTok, Facebook, Odysee, PeerTube, Last.fm and SoundCloud.

All of this inside multiple tabs and without ever showing an ad.

SaIBzs8k88zE6Va-KnbR7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...