The Dark Mod Forums

Pinkdot's Models

PinkDot

That grin - is it really so bad? Look at this:

BOAR2.jpg

It looks a bit happy too...

(maybe all mounted boar heads are happy - they could have finished in much worse way... ;) )

Anyway - I'll change the eyes (diffuse and normal map as well) and maybe that'll help.

@sparhawk - you mean the specularity of snout is too high? I can change it easily - it just looks diffrent in 3dsmax compared to Doom 3. I think it also has some smoothing problem... (the edge around the snout is sharp )

Anyway - thanks for feedback!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought they would look more fierce. :) As to the snout, it really looks like plastic. I gues there should be some bevel as well, to round off the front part of the snot, but this may increase the polycount a lot. Don't know if this can be done with a normalmap. Otherwise I think it would be ok. I guess when seen from in-game it will not be so noticable. Best to put it in a map and see how it looks there.

Gerhard

It's more the eyes than the mouth. The picture above has dark lines above the eyes going downward like the eyes are 'frowning', while your eyelids angle sharply upwards. If you could add some kind of dark line on the texture (overdone below for emphasis) that would probably do it.

boar.jpg

I wouldn't spend significant time reworking it though, as it's quite good even with the grin. :)

Yeah, that's awesome. Very cool.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanks!

@Sneaksie- unwrapping wasn't that hard - half of it was symetrical. And it's only 6 hundreds something faces - nothing compared to full character... :)

Now I have to rig it and make some animations. Talking boar head is a must for release v1.0 , I think... :rolleyes:;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm making some tombstone textures with inscriptions for graveyard models.

Some of them will be readable (I mean - big and clear enough), so my question is: have you got any ideas for grave inscriptions? I'm not really good at the art of words... Even proper names are problem for me... :( And I don't know if we should put any dates on them?

If some of you could write few examples of builder's inscriptions and common citizens' as well, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

If you're going to make them detailed enough to actually read the entire inscriptions it's going to be difficult to come up with a large enough variety. Perhaps they could be made into readables so the text can be customised?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, any readable ones will really stick out unless there are a lot of them. I would say any readable ones should just be generic names--nothing that would stand out. Generic names like,

Thomas Gates

Joseph Chard

Joanna Walsingham

Robert Frobishe

Richard Knowles

James Swift

Edward Eason

Elizabeth Persons

Jeffrey Briars

Thomas Whittingham

With simple phrases like, "Beloved husband", or "God's mercy on thee" or somesuch.

We can always add setting-specific engravings at a later date.

Thanks!

Some of them will be readable but some not. Anyway - I don't want to make them too outstanding.

And what would you write on builders tombs? Actually what is Builders Faction - are they kind of order? So, builders are brothers, right?

And what about similar inscription to 'Rest In Peace'... Maybe R.I.B.F.? =Rest In Builder's Forge... :unsure:

You can read about the Builders on the wiki.

They are similar to a medieval militant order, like the Knights Templar. Calling them Brother or Father would be fine. Since the Builders see hard work and toil (and well, building things) as holy and righteous, I don't think they would use the phrase, "REST in peace". More appropriate phrases would be:

"Thy works go before thee"

"May thy works endure"

"Thy place is prepared"

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to show my graveyard models made so far, although my planned set is not completed yet. Recently I was too busy to finish it and this won't change in next 3-4 weeks...

Ladies and Gentlemen: here comes the most neglected theme in dark mod - the amount of models in Graveyard folder of our Models Gallery has chance to jump up from 0 to more than 20.... !

Here are the simple, small graves:

preview_smallgraves.jpg

Several bigger ones:

preview_biggraves.jpg

Sarcophaguses:

preview_sarcophagus.jpg

Separate lid model gives a possiblity to open a tomb and make some creature get out from it.

And few grave fences:

preview_fences.jpg

they'll be made of separate models (poles and fences separately) so you can assemble the fence of shape you like.

And here is comparison of three skins I've made so far.

preview_skins.jpg

I mean - skins for the main "body" of grave. Tombstone textures with engravings are separate thing (I've made 6 so far, but some of them are just placeholders)

Ivy will be optional (I'm going to make two sets of skins - with and without ivy).

TO DO list includes:

- 2 or 3 another grave models (diffrent sarcophagus and another noble graves)

- lid with sculptured lying body

- more engraved inscriptions textures

- at least one more main skin (which is 1024x1024 texture with common grave elements)

- some gravetheme sculptures (human, animal or beast figures...)

- ash urn models (probably just separated from those grave models with diffrent texture)

Awwwwesommme. The graveyards in this mod are going to look sweet. :wub:

Minor criticism: The metal (I assume it's metal) builder gear symbol on a couple of the graves looks a bit too "clean" given the weathered, moldy condition of the stone underneath them. A little bit of rust or mossy stuff might be in order methinks?

My god, those are awesome! :o

I second Crispy's comment about the clean symbol...but man.... :wub:

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :)

That hammer it's just a copy of my previous model - texture wasn't touched yet but certainly I'll make some stone texture matching the gravestone.

I'll be able to upload them on CVS in the beginning of December, so anyone could try it. But that's all I will be able to do for a while....