The Dark Mod Forums

Pinkdot's Models

PinkDot

OMFG :blink: That's beautiful :)

The only thing I have agianst it is the lit version's glass - it looks a bit strange, too low contrast imo between the metal wires and the glass.

But that is some sweet lamp there :D

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that's excellent! :) I had the same thought as Dram about the lit version, but I doubt I'd pay it any mind while actually playing.

Glad to see you're still active! :)

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I've spent a bit of time on it... ;)

The only thing I have agianst it is the lit version's glass - it looks a bit strange, too low contrast imo between the metal wires and the glass.

Yes, you're right. I wanted to make wires overlit (is this a right word? ) by light, but that wasn't convincing. Texture is already improved, but I'll post a screenshot later. Now, before I go to bed, here's some small boat plus oar. Another variation is modeled already but not textured yet. And some other skins are on the way as well.

boat1.jpg

This makes me want to see more ship-type models, in the hopes of eventually seeing a pirate ship from a betamapper.

That's what I'm currently working on :)

Yep, excellent job, Pink. I can't wait to see that baby in a map, bobbing in the water somewhere. :)

It's hard to add wires, ect... to a lights tex and make it look good since the whole tex is lit.

You could have just plain glass, then put another plane just above that one, put wires with an alpha on it. They'd be nice and dark then, with that I think it would look stellar. Would only be 16 more polys so that wouldn't be that big of a deal. That way the glass and/or wires could be reskinned to for variations (although they aren't needed)

The weird thing with that tex is that the wires look more like glass in the bottom pic but look more like wires in the top.

You should make an alternate version too though, one that just hangs straight down. Did all that work might as well capitalize and whip out a quick varition for hanging.

Nice boats too eh.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yep, excellent job, Pink. I can't wait to see that baby in a map, bobbing in the water somewhere. :)

That raises a good point - if it is going to be in water, better to make the bottom quite thick, trying to create the illusion of water displacement, because of course the water brush will pass right through the model and sink it. ;)

Looks great. :)

That raises a good point - if it is going to be in water, better to make the bottom quite thick, trying to create the illusion of water displacement, because of course the water brush will pass right through the model and sink it.

Yep, thought about it already :)

It's hard to add wires, ect... to a lights tex and make it look good since the whole tex is lit.

not necessarily. You can make a map for ADD stage, where only glass is lit leaving the wires black. Actually I prefer to make it on one texture, so the effect is more subtle. I'm at work now, so I can't post screenshot, but you know what I mean - when you see something thin against strongly lit surface it partially disapears. You can't achieve that effect with separate layers. (not in real-time engines, I mean... ;) )

Much improved. :) Looking snazzy.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I've just finished boat models. There are three of them sharing two skins. The last one took me a while... plenty of f*** (read: lovely) UV unwrapping and mesh optimization. It has 930 tris (the other ones have: 278 and 318).

boats.jpg

boats2.jpg

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :)

I think such broken stuff always adds a great sense of atmosphere as it makes the world much more believable.

Yes, that's true. I'd say even that dead objects add a life into a map...

Awesome! How can one become thy padawan ?

Ha ha! Good joke! :) I'm still learning and getting experience.

(BTW: I had to look for the meaning of that word, cause I'm not that familiar with Star Wars... :) )