Arcturus

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made stronger normalmap. However, despite the fact it's really strong now, it still looks flat on the wall in test/walk_ik. Compare the wall with the ceiling:

strongerlc6.th.jpg

It's just a matter of lighting. Anyway, here's another comparison of original texture and new one:

staryif3.th.jpg

nowynt9.th.jpg

It's only a model...

Mmm. I think it's possibly too strong now. It's hard to judge since it really does depend on the lighting. Possibly a quick and dirty test map is not the best condition in which to judge a normal map - the lighting is likely not designed properly in test/walk_ik, it's just chucked in so you can see something. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The way you provided each shape with its own texture is good.

The color of the texture is too monochrome, it needs variation. Try a flat texture with high color-contrast (like peeling paint) and set it on Difference, opacity 15-20 something. Play around with it's hue and opacity. If that did not already add color depth to where the embossed shadows go then you should add some more saturation there.

As you know I'm working with photos.

doorvd6.th.jpg

All I did was removing those scratches and shadows. That and creating a normalmap took me two days of work. I'm not going to spend any more time on this only to improve the reality by adding more colours, sorry.

It's only a model...

I think they look pretty good.

Yeah, amazing work. They are to clean for run-down areas, but heh, they would be mighty fine in a mansion :)

Arcturus, can you please make two new textures:

* one old, slimey, greasy, for the market stall. We have two or so in a map and it looks way to clean :)

* one (alpha) texture with a metal fence/grating. We have an object of this, but using a dozend or so obects just to block the player wastes a lot of polygons esp. if the fence is high up and can't be seen properly from down below anyway.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah, amazing work. They are to clean for run-down areas, but heh, they would be mighty fine in a mansion :)

Yes, that's why I removed the dirt, so they can be used  on the inside.

Arcturus, can you please make two new textures:

* one old, slimey, greasy, for the market stall. We have two or so in a map and it looks way to clean :)

You mean wood?

* one (alpha) texture with a metal fence/grating. We have an object of this, but using a dozend or so obects just to block the player wastes a lot of polygons esp. if the fence is high up and can't be seen properly from down below anyway.

Ok, that sounds interesting.

It's only a model...

* one old, slimey, greasy, for the market stall. We have two or so in a map and it looks way to clean smile.gif

There are lots of old wood textures already, and the stall has a pretty generic uv-map. Someone just needs to make some skins.

There are lots of old wood textures already, and the stall has a pretty generic uv-map. Someone just needs to make some skins.

Yeah, but I am crap at doing this :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Yes, you don't need to do anything with the graphics, except perhaps open them up to see if the wood grain runs the same way or something. Other than that it's just a skin file entry.

Yes, you don't need to do anything with the graphics, except perhaps open them up to see if the wood grain runs the same way or something. Other than that it's just a skin file entry.

Uh. No. To make a skin entry, you actually need another material shader to replace the original one. And I don't have that. (Or we might have one, but I don't know).

What I mean is I need first a dirty version of the texture, then I can easily make a skin entry.

Edit: And even then I can't currently check it out in game as my laptop renders almost anything black. So I pass :)

Uh. No. To make a skin entry, you actually need another material shader to replace the original one. And I don't have that. (Or we might have one, but I don't know).

All the material shaders are listed in the materials folder. You can easily pick and choose until you find one you like.

Edit: And even then I can't currently check it out in game as my laptop renders almost anything black. So I pass

That's fine, it doesn't have to be you. I'm just saying it's quite easy to do.

I'm going to have my hands full with rigging AI for the forseeable future, so I doubt I'll have much time to do skins unless they're needed immediately for the release map or something.

All the material shaders are listed in the materials folder. You can easily pick and choose until you find one you like.

That's fine, it doesn't have to be you. I'm just saying it's quite easy to do.

The problem is, I have not the slightest idea how that would work. Surely you can't just replace wood1 with wood2 or it would look odd? (That I cant see the wood in game won't help :)

I'm going to have my hands full with rigging AI for the forseeable future, so I doubt I'll have much time to do skins unless they're needed immediately for the release map or something.

No worries, I am sure someone will have the time and skill :) as far as I see this one was the most noticable "not fitting" skin the other stufff starts to really fit in :)

The problem is, I have not the slightest idea how that would work. Surely you can't just replace wood1 with wood2 or it would look odd?

With some models no, you couldn't. But a lot of generic wooden models just use generic wooden textures, so you can pretty much swap any two wood textures as long as the grain/boards basically goes the same way.

Which folder should it go to? Somewhere under decals?

Nice! I'd say it should go in darkmod/metal/grate.

Btw, the proportions of that AI look really off in that screenshot. Look at those hands!

fence:

That looks great! You can barely tell it's only 2d. :)

Btw, the proportions of that AI look really off in that screenshot. Look at those hands!

It's not just the screenshot...the proportions ARE way off. That mesh was just a placeholder and is off to the scrapheap now that we have the commoner/townsfolk to replace it.

• 1 month later...

I desaturated all my red brick and roofing tiles textures by 10%. This was radical, but necessary step. Could someone please apply those changes to the SL branch? Saint Lucia has currently: shingles_red, shingles_red_flat, red_worn_beams01, red_worn_beams02 and red_worn. However the two red brick buildings:

br2fx8.th.jpg

br1ju0.th.jpg

are using only red_worn_beams01 and red_worn_beams02. When I replaced red_worn with some other texture I noticed that only few faces inside of buildings have changed. So unless it's been used in other places we can remove that texture and save 3,7 Mb.

It's only a model...