Arcturus textures

Arcturus

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of curiosity: how long did it take you to create that texture set?

I took photos on Sunday.  On Tuesday and Wednesday I worked on the diffusemap. I had to join few pictures of small pilars:

pilarmk0.th.jpg

I made normalmap On Thursday. It all took me quite a long time, about four hours each day.

I've been going through this thread and I have to say; wow. You're doing phenomenal work keep it up.

Thanks!

What a dream it would be to replace our stinkers with ones like this. :)

For a start, I was thinking of making a more regular version of stone wall:

pilar1uq6.th.jpg

Tiny red flag: what's that dark line about 3/4 of the way across, possible tiling issue?

It's something with the map. I'm using modified city area, but in original I don't see this. It's moving with the camera:

blacklinedv2.th.jpg

It's only a model...

Thanks Arcturus for the detailed answer, I expected a duration like this. Actually, I would have been blown away if you had told me you did this in one hour. ;) Good textures indeed take their time - 10% is art, the rest is stamina.

That new door looks great! That's an area where we are lacking--that and windows.

I'll let someone else comment on our board needs.

Holy fuck that door looks real, amazing!!!!!

Boards like that are something that's already in the mod, but we can always use more, but since I'm not a team member that's just my 2 cents NOT an official recommendation. :blush:

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Do we need more rough boards like these?

I think every single texture from you is a welcome addition, whatever it is. ;)

If you're motivated, you could also look through the textures from the olden days in our repository and replace them - there are a few especially bad ones (like the floor in test/walk_ik.map, which has all the shadows baked in the diffusemap). A short notice on the forums before replacing them would be nice, though.

New door - boards_2diamonds_worn:

doordh0.th.jpg

Beautiful! :wub:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I think every single texture from you is a welcome addition, whatever it is. ;)

If you're motivated, you could also look through the textures from the olden days in our repository and replace them - there are a few especially bad ones (like the floor in test/walk_ik.map, which has all the shadows baked in the diffusemap). A short notice on the forums before replacing them would be nice, though.

Yes, I agree, you additions are welcome, :wub: and if you replace textures, I'd almost always trust your judgement. The only thing's I'd like you not to do is t change the "meaning" of textures, like if there is a board texture, change it to mossyold board etc. as this would then look odd when the mapper wanted clean boards.

But increasing the quality, the color rendition, the resolution etc, just go ahead :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There are definitely lots of textures that could use replacing/improving, and I would love to see Arcturus take a crack at them. However, "just going ahead" is not the protocol for improving textures (or anything else). Either check with:

1. The original artist (if known)

2. The lead of the department

3. Or, preferably, post a side-by-side comparison and get group feedback.

Very nice! :)

I'll see what I can do about improving some of our textures.

Don't feel that you actually have to try and improve the existing image file...it would be equally fine (if not better) to find a *better* reference image and use that to create a new and improved version.

For example, if there's a crappy grey board texture, you could find photos of similar grey boards and make a replacement texture. We just want the 'type' of texture to stay similar in case it is being used in maps already.

Here are some textures that we know need improving: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3903

Ok, I uploaded wood\boards\worn_03_long. I also made one darken version:

Nice :)

I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do about improving some of our textures.

While you are at it, converting the big ones to DDS would appreciated, too :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

There are a few especially bad ones (like the floor in test/walk_ik.map, which has all the shadows baked in the diffusemap).

It's rough_blocks_tight_light. I removed the shadows:

old: 52163235tk2.th.jpg

new: 77331842cv3.th.jpg

old: 53253778el2.th.jpg

new: 72570436vb4.th.jpg

The character of it has changed a little, though.

While you are at it, converting the big ones to DDS would appreciated.

I wanted to download the highres repository some time ago. I downloaded few folders but now when I try to continue I get the message: Error: REPORT of '/svn/darkmod_hires/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read chunk delimiter: Secure connection truncated (https://darkmod.homelinux.com). I noticed though, that textures have the same resolution in high-res repository as in main repository. Perhaps not all of them?

It's only a model...

It's rough_blocks_tight_light. I removed the shadows:

I am note sure, actually I like the in-game version of the old one more. Maybe the new normal map needs a bit more work?

I wanted to download the highres repository some time ago. I downloaded few folders but now when I try to continue I get the message: Error: REPORT of '/svn/darkmod_hires/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read chunk delimiter: Secure connection truncated (https://darkmod.homelinux.com).

I get this error since last fall and up to day I have not been able to checkout the highres repo completely. After a few months of trying I have given up. It seems to be a server problem, but sparhawk hasn't responded yet.

Edit: See here for October 2007 post:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...st&p=128650

I noticed though, that textures have the same resolution in high-res repository as in main repository. Perhaps not all of them?

I don't know since I couldn't check out more than a few on none of my computers.

Another comparison:

Like the left version more, it has much more of a 3D feeling. Is there anyway you can bring that back to the new one?

Like the left version more, it has much more of a 3D feeling. Is there anyway you can bring that back to the new one?

I prefer the new one myself. The left one gives the impression of being more 3d due to the shadows that were on the texture. It might look 'better' in a screen shot, but it's going to have incorrect shadows ingame and end up looking like crap.