Photo

Fan Mission: Chase Mercantile by Airship Ballet (2015/02/04)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:31 AM

POPULAR

Merry's Magnificent Mapping Co. Delivers Again!

Chase Mercantile

Screenshots

Spoiler

La Banque was something of a practice run: this place should prove to be something closer to a challenge.

Title: Chase Mercantile
Theme: Bank
Release: 2015/02/04
Mapper: Airship Ballet
Special thanks: Nobiax for the custom loot models and textures, Melan for his textures and Xarg, Kyyrma, Oldjim, Phi, Melan, Cookie and Bikerdude for beta testing the map for me! Vault and courtyard ambiences made by me using this and this respectively.
Build Time: 1 month and 13 days.

Well, here it is! We're about 2/5 through the campaign provided I don't decide to extend it. While going back to change things with La Banque I was really enthused to see how much better I am at mapping already, so hopefully you will be too! This is the same deal as La Banque but bigger and better. It's physically about twice the size and a fair bit more complex with regards to objectives and the like. As a result, you get a ton of notes if you buy a lot of things! Having the notes in your inventory is integral to the system itself working, so hopefully you won't mind reading then discarding a bunch of pieces of paper. I've got plans for a somewhat cooler way to introduce the notes to the player, but you're stuck without for now.

This is, of course, bundled with La Banque so all that gold means something now! It'll be on the mission downloader as Chase Mercantile so delete La Banque from your FMs folder because it's obsolete. I tweaked the former mission somewhat, spawning some new guards on expert and implementing a 500G/1000G KO/Kill penalty to your loot total across all difficulties. I also wrote a new briefing that hopefully doesn't show how bad I am at English anymore. It was only ever intended as a tutorial, however, so don't expect crazy difficulty there. There's tons of loot to be had, but even more if you're sneakier about it! The same goes for Chase, albeit far moreso: expert difficulty has pretty much 100% guard coverage, so good luck with that.

Erm, what else... oh! I recorded the building process, so if you're curious or just fancy zoning out to some timelapses, you can see the map's construction from start to almost-finished here, although hold off until you're done to avoid spoilers.

Note

- Noclipping around like a mook will skip triggers that change things based on what you bought. It will completely negate the system in some cases and often brick your playthrough. Don't do it unless you've no desire to be able to finish!

- As the note you start with says, you can bag up the loose loot in the vault into bags. Dropping these out of the starting window in the basement or at the alternate loot drop (if you buy it) will net you 3000 per bag, which translates directly into 3 gold for the next mission's asset shop.

- Knocking people out will cost you 500 gold on Expert, and killing them will dock you 1000 on Medium and Expert.

- Optional objectives will pay you gold immediately on completion.

- It is impossible to acquire all of the loot in the map: there are variants of some that get swapped around depending on what you buy. Don't sweat it: there's tons anyway!

Cheats
Come to the thread because you can't find something? Look no further you casual! Obviously don't expand spoilers if you don't want spoilers.

Where are the vault keys?

Spoiler

How do I get into Chase's vault?
Spoiler

How do I turn off the steam?
Spoiler

What about the electrified gate?
Spoiler

...and the gas?
Spoiler

Where is the sword?
Spoiler

Where is the necklace?
Spoiler

Where are the client records?
Spoiler

Where are the financial records?
Spoiler

Where's Turk Malloy?
Spoiler

Look, you made a system I despise. The least you can do is tell me what to buy.
Spoiler

Download links

The Campaign

Available on the in-game mission downloader as "Quinn Co."

The Single Mission
chase.pk4

Edited by Airship Ballet, 04 February 2015 - 12:43 PM.

• Melan, Tarhiel, Xarg and 7 others like this

#2 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

Congratulations on the release Airship Ballet! Really looking forward to playing this one tonight, thoroughly enjoyed your first one :)

The Accountant Series
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Lord Edgar Series
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse

Stand Alone Missions
Spring Cleaning

#3 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5375 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:00 AM

Congrats on the release. *thumbs up*

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#4 Xarg

Xarg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:03 AM

It's a beautiful building, but we're bringing ugly business. We'll need keys to get further in, so look for their stashes.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

#5 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:26 AM

thanx.gif for another great bank mission.

#6 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19162 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:58 AM

Added to the in-game downloader, but need some working screenshots to upload etc.

#7 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8214 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

Congrats on the release AB!
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#8 Dunedain19

Dunedain19

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

Congratulations on the release! Looking forward to playing it!

#9 kyyrma

kyyrma

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

Was a ton of fun to test, and the offices are marvelous to look at. Some of the best interiors I've seen in TDM. Great improvement from your last map which was already a fantastic FM debut :)

I'd consider adding a link to just the individual map without the previous part attached to it, because there isn't a simple way of skipping a level in TDM is there? I'd wager some would like to just try out the new map without having to play La Banque a second time.

• Deadlove likes this

#10 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12156 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

Congrats!

When you do your next update, please read the section Menus Show Current Mission in New TDM 2.03 Features for Mappers.

Thanks!

• Airship Ballet likes this

#11 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

Congrats on the release, AB!  Looking forward to playing through.

#12 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

I'd consider adding a link to just the individual map without the previous part attached to it, because there isn't a simple way of skipping a level in TDM is there? I'd wager some would like to just try out the new map without having to play La Banque a second time.

There's been a thread up asking as much for the weekend, but not many people got back to me so they've only themselves to blame!

#13 Dunedain19

Dunedain19

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

I fully agree with kyyrma, please can you release it as a standalone mission. I enjoyed La Banque, but playing through it again in order to actually get to Chase Mercantile was frustrating.

Spoiler

Edited by Dunedain19, 04 February 2015 - 11:40 AM.

• Deadlove likes this

#14 SteveL

SteveL

Hero Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

Grats Merry! I'll get stuck in to both missions as soon as we get 2.03 out the door. I love your intro posts by the way.

Do TDM's save game mechanics provide you a way to let people move to the next mission? There's automatically a "final save" that could be used to start up the previous mission just before the mission complete screen.

That wouldn't work if TDM itself or the map scripts have been updated in the meantime of course, but it might work for successive missions in the same version of TDM.

• Airship Ballet likes this

#15 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19162 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Added to the in-game downloader, but need some working screenshots to upload etc.

The campaign for the time being is going by the name "Quinn Co."

#16 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

There's been a thread up asking as much for the weekend, but not many people got back to me so they've only themselves to blame!

You mean, post #7 of a thread called 'Beta Testers For My New Mission'?

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#17 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

So I've rushed to change a few things. I'm a bit irked: I asked about both the loot penalties and the separate missions thing well before release, just when beta testing started actually. Not many people got back to me, but now the opposite opinion to those who did has come out in full force. These are forums, guys! Your opinion directly changes the output, but if you don't respond it won't change, and usually the release thread is too late a place to do it. Since I'm so great, however, there are now two download links in the OP. Only one (Quinn Co.) will go up in the in-game downloader, but if you want to play just the new one on its own, there's a link to it in the OP that you can sort out yourself. I added mission titles in preparation for 2.03 too.

[snip]

I moved the penalties for killing and KOing people to different difficulties. Knockouts will only remove money on expert, and kills will do so on medium and expert. If you want to play the game your way without consequences, easy mode beckons  ;)

You mean, post #7 of a thread called 'Beta Testers For My New Mission'?

Yeah, I was going to make a new thread for the question but saw that people were very regularly looking at that post and not replying. I assumed that meant they didn't mind either way.

Edited by Airship Ballet, 04 February 2015 - 12:17 PM.

• kyyrma likes this

#18 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Tried downloading from the ingame downloader and it stuck at about 5%

Backed out and now it doesn't show up for downloading

#19 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

Well I'm being a huge pain and making Biker juggle a bunch of .pk4s, so it should be good in a minute.

#20 Dunedain19

Dunedain19

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for your super speedy response, AB. I really appreciate your prompt resolution of my concern.

I wish I had seen that earlier discussion, I certainly would have given you my feedback on the mechanic back then.  :unsure:

Looking forward to continuing the mission!  :D

• kyyrma and Airship Ballet like this

#21 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:31 PM

Does that mean I should junk the one I just downloaded from your link

#22 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19162 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:31 PM

Done.

#23 VanishedOne

VanishedOne

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, I was going to make a new thread for the question but saw that people were very regularly looking at that post and not replying. I assumed that meant they didn't mind either way.

I didn't de-lurk because I thought it was a question to your beta testers. Oh well.
  • SteveL and Airship Ballet like this

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

#24 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

Does that mean I should junk the one I just downloaded from your link

If you downloaded the campaign version, it's the same as the one that's now on the downloader. 

#25 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

I'm a bit confused on what is taking place.  So if we played and finished La Banque previously, the stats will not be carried over, correct? 

We hAVe to play La Banque again (and a new version?) if we want the stat carry over? 

If we don't care about the stat carry over from the first mission we can just play this new one by itself?

Having finished La Banque previously, playing through this new FM without replaying La Banque, what are we missing out on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users