The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10: Why you should NOT upgrade...

Bikerdude

Seems like the best bet is to get a single seat Enterprise license which runs (i believe) about 6-8$ per month. So 100ish $ per year and you can turn off Telemetry and disable auto updating of drivers at least. Looks to me like this is the only way forward.

EDIT:

This seems in-line with MS's desire to turn all their assets in to a subscription model. If you want free or one-time fee then you get all the garbage that comes with it so MS can use your info for AD revenue.

What are you guys' thoughts?

Edited by Lux

A decade later and Windows 7 is still your best bet for an operating system for playing new and old games.

Wow, did Microsoft screw the pooch.

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.

• 2 months later...

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/04/windows-10-cloud-disappoints-first-look/

Microsoft to users: "You'll use the Windows Store and you'll like it, even if we have to drag you in, kicking and screaming all the way."

When I saw the bottom screenshot in that article, I just had to make a quick correction.

http://i.imgur.com/l9oV6js.png

Dear Microsoft, a PC is not an Ipad or a game console. We're not going to be limited exclusively to getting apps from your store.

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/04/windows-10-cloud-disappoints-first-look/

Microsoft to users: "You'll use the Windows Store and you'll like it, even if we have to drag you in, kicking and screaming all the way."

When I saw the bottom screenshot in that article, I just had to make a quick correction.

http://i.imgur.com/l9oV6js.png

Dear Microsoft, a PC is not an Ipad or a game console. We're not going to be limited exclusively to getting apps from your store.

I don't usually agree with this person but when I do, it's this:

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...

So I have Windows 10 running again and I've successfully blocked the telemetry/forced updates:

1) Install openwrt/gargoyle custom firmware on your router (I already had this anyway)

2) Add a simple iptables rule (on your router in /etc/config/firewall) to DROP (not REJECT) all WAN traffic over all protocols from your windows PC by MAC address. LAN traffic is still good.

3) Install and configure a SOCKS server on your openwrt router that simply forwards connections from clients right back onto your network (LAN and WAN). Dante (aka "sockd") is in the repos and it supports TCP, UDP, ICMP as far as I can tell.

4) Install an application "proxifier" client on your WIndows PC and configure it for the SOCKS proxy server on your router. Then selectively proxify each application. I'm using SocksCap64 because it supports UDP and automatically proxifies child processes. The application is freeware but proprietary (tries to load up an advertisement in its GUI but it fails to load since it doesn't connect to the advertisement through the SOCKS proxy). If your Windows applications have integrated SOCKS proxy support, may as well use that.

As far as I can tell this works fine (at least with everything I've tested, including Steam and multiplayer games). I realized that any software firewall / bandwidth shaper I installed in windows itself was likely going to get circumvented since ultimately the OS has control of everything up to your NIC. There's probably some line of code in there that checks for internet connectivity before control ever reaches your userspace firewall/bandwidth shaper application. But with the above setup, from the OS's perspective it just looks like I'm running Windows on a LAN-only connection. So unless the OS opportunistically takes over the proxified applications's connections and tests for internet connectivity, I don't see them getting around this.

Will have to give this some more time of course and monitor things closely to ensure that there aren't any issues with this. Can then write up a guide if anyone's interested.

LOL.

Now Microsoft wont give you "security patches" if you have a pre-Windows 10 OS paired with

a new CPU:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

so that nifty workaround to get Windows 7 to install on Ryzen has been nullified I guess.

(Unless someone can somehow fool Windows Updates into thinking that it's running on an older CPU arch. CPUID spoofing etc.)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

LOL.

Now Microsoft wont give you "security patches" if you have a pre-Windows 10 OS paired with

a new CPU:

I'm guessing that if you install Vista on one of these machines equipped with a brand new CPU, it will update just fine. Windows Update never gave a damn about what CPU was in the machine before as long as it was X86 compatible and its really fishy that it starts doing so now. And of course Microsoft has no reason to intentionally hobble Vista because its at something like 3% anyway. Windows 7 and 8.1, on the other hand...

By the way, Microsoft, Windows 8.1 is still supposed to be in the *mainstream support period*. I just thought you would like to know.

Edited by kano

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I Hope you weren't a ReFS fan!

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/21/microsoft-removes-refs-file-system-create-option-from-windows-10-pro/

Selling people a product and then retroactively pulling features, in order to needlessly up-sell the users should be illegal. Actually, I'm pretty sure that it is.

A lot of Pro-Microsoft people like to claim that they're not "selling" you Windows and that you're not "buying" it, so this somehow makes Microsoft's behavior okay, but to these people, I happily lift up my printed Windows receipt which clearly states that it was a *sale*, and I also point to the buttons on Newegg and Amazon which are labeled "Buy Now", not "license now".

• 1 month later...

You almost feel sorry for Microsoft. Windows Phone bit the dust, and Intel canceled the ultra-low power Atom CPUs that were used in budget X86 tablets and phones. At one point Intel were showing off a phone with an Atom CPU that ran Android and Linux x86 applications simultaneously, pretty cool. But they scrapped that, too. It would have inevitably been used to build an x86 phone that runs Windows...

Microsoft really needed the low-cost Intel Atom chips to put up a fight against the bargain basement Android tablets that go for under $100.

Edited by kano

For now they retreat to regroup Cortana with Amazon Alexa, consolidate Windows 10 market share and then return.

I use win 10 mobile. I can confirm that we still receive security and performance updates for maintenance.

The x86 processors are the only way to break the Android iOS oligopoly. Until they have something they won't talk, so as not to disappoint.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Pretty much. Thus far looks like EU countries are the most active in regards to consumer rights.

Recently there's also this: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/307601/PEGI_is_leaving_the_verdict_on_loot_boxes_up_to_gambling_commissions.php

badge?user=andarson

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo-nsa-exclusive/exclusive-yahoo-secretly-scanned-customer-emails-for-u-s-intelligence-sources-idUSKCN1241YT

As long as nations like the US are doing things like this behind the scenes, they have no reason whatsoever to punish Microsoft for forcing intrusive software on the public, and every reason to just look the other way.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo-nsa-exclusive/exclusive-yahoo-secretly-scanned-customer-emails-for-u-s-intelligence-sources-idUSKCN1241YT

As long as nations like the US are doing things like this behind the scenes, they have no reason whatsoever to punish Microsoft for forcing intrusive software on the public, and every reason to just look the other way.

In the US natural persons can still sue them for compensation as it has happened already (an win). More global and systematic steps against Microsoft's policy at this moment might not happen.

Edited by Anderson

badge?user=andarson