The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

You could always try to edit out the "gap" of the ambients. Another method would be that we alow you:

* to specify some sort of "skip" spawnarg that says "start playing this ambient X seconds into it"

* or find a way to allow more than one ambient to be player (which I think a lot of work)

Demagogue might answer this better than me.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Another question:

Doom/TDM the last week or so is really slow to compile, as in the text is either going at medium speed, crawling up the screen - normally it whizzed up etc.

Before I start ripping things apart to try and figure out what the issue is anyone got any ideas..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Grass edge/path decals:

just spotted the above mentioned decals, what's the basic of how to user these as the wiki article I found dosent help me much..

I've just added a better explanation but it's one of those things that's fairly easy but lengthy to explain so it seems more complicated than it really is!

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Grass_Edges

Thanks Fids..

Doom/TDM the last week or so is really slow to compile, as in the text is either going at medium speed, crawling up the screen - normally it whizzed up etc. Before I start ripping things apart to try and figure out what the issue is anyone got any ideas..?

Anyone on this one

Ok, what am i missing here, since upgrading to 1.04 I have had to up the gamma in TDM and when I compile a map where are the compiled file being put...(nothing new is appearing in the maps folder, .ass etc)

[update] Never mind, it seems to be working now....

Edited by Bikerdude

this may have been asked already and if so typologies, but..

whats the cvar to turn of the main menu music - I have doom running at the same time as DR and to be honest after 6 months of it I am kinda getting sick of hearing it now.. In fact can the option to turn it off be added to a future release..?

You know it's amazing that this has just gotten to me now too... quite a testament to the excellence of the track actually!

Anyway, the cvar that is supposed to work is: tdm_music_volume = "<a number between -40 and 1>" but it doesn't work as far as shutting of the sound only adjusting it... so you never get silence. And, btw, it just correlates to the Ambient slider in the Options, which also fails to work as far as silencing goes.

So, I have figured out how to do some things.

• You can create a directory structure in your darkmod folder like this ".....darkmod\sound\meta\menu", right?
  • Then you take whatever track you want to hear and convert it to a 16bit 44.1khz PCM ogg and call it "amb_nocturne_menu.ogg"
  • Voila! And violas to if you want.

Or...

Here I made you a pk4 that will work. You needn't do anything but put this in your "darkmod" folder (deleting the "(Silence).txt" bit and leaviing the "pk4" of course)

Or... this one is more fun it's got music, just different than what we've been hearing for all this time... (this one you delete "(RO).txt")

See if you recognize it ;)

Nah... too big for the forum... sorry... if you want it I'll put it elsewhere. Let me know.

Edited by Aprilsister

See if you recognize it ;)Nah... too big for the forum... sorry... if you want it I'll put it elsewhere. Let me know.

Thanks fr this!

Mute button? :P

Spings, Other games have the option to turn down/off the main menu music. And besides when I am map building I have doom constanting running alongside DR and the only time I want to hear anything is when doom has finished compiling and in-game etc.

Question:

And this one is making me furious!!!!

As per this thread, I ask why AI in 1.04 have serious issues navigating/negotiating.. The Ai in St Albans cathedral can no longer navigate anywhere without getting stuck or going in fucking circles!

So the question what arg do I use to reduce the boundry Ai's use to navigate..? as atm,

I cant release the updated map until a work around is found or its fixed...!!!!

Edited by Bikerdude

As per this thread, I ask why AI in 1.04 have serious issues navigating/negotiating.. The Ai in St Albans cathedral can no longer navigate anywhere without getting stuck or going in fucking circles!

You might want to ask grayman about this. He may not be reading each megathread.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

thanks Springs

Another question:

I asked this before but now its doing it again and I would like to narrow down what exactly is causing it and how to fix it.

When Doom is dmapping its normaly very quick (as in the text is whizzing past) but now its on a go-slow again. The fix I found last time was to delete my doomconfig.cfg file. but I don't want to have to recreate this confige every time this happens.

Edited by Bikerdude

Question:

Where does Dark radient store its prefs, if I can make a backup of my custome settings I wont have to redo them every time etc.

ta

C:\Users\Bikerdude\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant

Thnaks greebs, i though it might be there...

Another question:

Hut how do I create secret objective that only completes when the player has entered the location? here is a screen shot of the objective's screen. And I have set "objective_ent" "1" on secret1 (info_tdm_objective_location)

???

post-496-129990162489_thumb.jpg

I think you mean an invisible objective that only shows when it is completed right?

Create a target > atdm:target_setobjective_visibility and give it these properties:

name [eg, ShowABCobjective]

obj_id0 <objective No. = 7 in this case>

obj_visibility 1 [default}

On the objective itself put in the target field the name of the above: [eg, ShowABCobjective]

It is likely that it won't display the message 'Objective Complete' because it completed invisibly first then afterwards set itself visible. If so it needs a bit of bodging with several entities. Probably a script is better. Anyone else done this? Anyway, this is the best I can think up quickly without a script:

Keep the above atdm:target_setobjective_visibility

Also create a atdm_target_setobjective_state_1 and give it these properties:

name [eg, SetABCobjective]

obj_id0 7 [objective No. = 7 in this case]

obj_state 1 [default}

Create trigger > trigger_relay and give it these properties:

name [eg, DelaySetABCobjective]

delay 0.5 [seconds]

target <above SetABCobjective>

Create another trigger > trigger_relay and give it these properties:

name [eg, ShowThenSetABCobjective]

delay 0 [default]

target1 [above ShowABCobjective]

target2 [above DelaySetABCobjective]

Create another invisible objective.

This new copy stays invisible and is the real active objective

It's never seen so you can put in a comment in the text eg, Set and show #7 escape objective

Copy the rest of the first objective (have to do it manually line by line.)

In the target field put: ShowThenSetABCobjective [see above name]

Change the original objective:

Change the component about being in location completely to: Custom Script

In theory that should be it.

The new invisible objective completes invisibly when the player is in the location.

it stays invisible but...

It triggers the first relay ShowThenSetABCobjective

That immediately relays to trigger to make the original objective visible

Half a second later it triggers it to set complete and you should get Objective Complete.

BTW objective_ent isn't needed here because it's the player and anyway it would go on the object in the location not the location.

Now somebody tell me you just have to tick a box somewhere instead. :laugh:

That seems awfully complicated for what I'm trying to do Fids, why dosen't what I.m already doing work..? The same think works for entities the player can carry, as I already have an objective like that and ti work just fine - so what not the idPlayer entity as well....