The Dark Mod Forums

Community Requests

Serpentine

In keeping with the steampunk theme I think the steam whistle or Fire bell is the alarm sounds I would use in a mission of mine! just my 2 cents!!!

I don't know if BC has said anything publicly, however he's been working on a steam whistle alarm and has the model in a pretty good state, so dont worry too much - you're not alone!

And if he hasn't posted the pic somewhere here, he really should as it looks pretty damn cool :D

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ninja'ed/// maybe my post isn't public, I'll check.

here it is (forgive the bad rendering of alpha... not an ingame shot, in fact it might be too shiny in game, but skins can come later)

th_alarm_Steam_Whistle.jpg

We do have a steam whistle the lantern bot uses. And I made a 'steam whistle alarm machine'.

However I'm not sure how we'd have to script it so an alerted AI will turn it on. And I'm not sure we have figured out how to make it alert people yet.

(the lantern bot barks and inaubile bark to alert AI - can machines bark though is the question - Or do we just make it send a radius stim? and how would that work through closed doors?)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

@Fidcal:

Thanks for the link. After browsing through I found the following candidates (mostly for my own reference, but I understood others may be interested, so I'll put them here to save your time finding them):

http://www.freesound...le.php?id=72757

http://www.freesound...le.php?id=25032

http://www.freesound...le.php?id=96973

Not exactly what I'd like, but the license is definately lax enough for my purposes. Does someone else know some other sites? I suppose I have to use these if I don't find anything else.

@BC:

I checked the lanternbot whistle sound but that wasn't what I'd need. I've not planned any significant scripting. If the alarm occurs, then I'll set few guards some new target path_corners. Player setting the alarm on deserves some slight harrasment. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Have you tried google?

Yes I have. The typical problem is that key words "free sound effects" find me a zillion 'free' sound effect repositories which then ask money for the sounds, but provide some sounds for free and I do not find anywhere whether or not I can use the 'free' ones really for free. One site said the sounds are free, but then it said that I need to get a written permission if I use them in games.

Therefore I asked if someone happens to know some some reliable sources which are truly free. I'm a bit awkward with these copyright things and I simply want to play it safe, even if it may make me seem a little handicapped. ;)

Yeah, it would take 5 seconds to find the sound I need if the copyright things shouldn't be worried.

Clipper

are we going to be getting more metal/squicking sounds in 1.03 as there a distinc lack of them - or would be simpler for me to go record a load and send them to Springs in ogg vorbis format..?

- things like metals gates, metals lids/doors, valve turning etc, etc...

Edited by Bikerdude

are we going to be getting more metal/squicking sounds in 1.03 as there a distinc lack of them - or would be simpler for me to go record a load and send them to Springs in ogg vorbis format..?

- things like metals gates, metals lids/doors, valve turning etc, etc...

Not that I know of BD

But if you could record them, that would be aweeeesome!

(and if possible handing over a copy in flac or some other lossless format would be great too)

Light Texture tutorial? :unsure:

Got my hands a little dirty and started writing my own :laugh:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Light_Textures_and_Falloff_Images

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 weeks later...

This is not high priority but I could use a large cookable item for my oven. I'm thinking large turkey, goose, roast suckling pig, side of pork, leg of venison. I dragged out a brush of 16 x 16 by 32 deep with room to spare in my oven so it wants to be something substantial. If it's a pig don't be tempted to put an apple in its mouth. That can be added later if its on a dining room table but it would look odd in an oven.

Oh hai,

Been putting some time into the contrib/share site I've been working on.

At the moment it's pretty much a glorified file manager, but it's getting rather pimp rather quick.

Since I last spoke about it I've managed to:

• Add support for reading DDS images (DXT1,3 and soon 5) - meaning that you can preview game ready textures (TGA, DDS, PNG, JPEG and the usual suspects are supported too)
  • Zip file previews, instead of uploading readmes and preview images seperating when sharing a prefab or whatever, rather just zip it all together and the site will work it out more or less.
  • Reworked ajax multi-file uploading - should reduce the effort of uploading a whole bunch of stuff, tho it still needs me to sort out some progress bars.
  • Reworked just about everything to be a bit more efficient and avoid some horrible code (this will be so quick, this manager is so complete... *replaces 75% of the code*)
  • Move towards a private/public user system - if you're not logged in you can browse files but don't have access to downloading(maybe smaller files)/large previews etc.
  • Allow direct linking between TDM members.
  • Found out that jQuery makes me hate javascript far less :)

Once I have full 'virtual' pathing implemented we should be good open for business-ish.

I'd like to add some other tools later on to help people get content into game, maybe a model converter(assimp->ase/lwo) and a material editor that takes the effort out of making sure formats/locations/materials are all correctly placed... but we'll see about that. It's also something that if anyone wants to write some python on their own could help with. Any simple console script can be converted in a few minutes is theres no horrid dependencies.

Attention TDM mappers skilled in the art of:

• Conversations
  • Camera movements
  • Movies

I hereby file an official request for a wiki tutorial on the topics of

• Conversations
  • Camera movements
  • Movies

Benefits of such a tutorial for the community would be significant, since mappers' options for plot elements would be vastly increased.

The expected overall result would be higher quality FM's for everyone to play.

Thank you for considering my request.

Clipper

If you go to the Wiki and look for "Cutscenes" in the Editing or Tutorial sections, it'll take you to the start of the articles I'm writing.

I'm roughly halfway through Part 2, but I'm interested in knowing whether the level of detail is appropriate, the stuff makes sense, the layouts are okay, the pictures are big enough, blah blah blah.

Thanks to anyone who has some time to proofread.

Just some feedback needed, I've currently got zip previews looking like this in my file manager for contributers/mappers to use

contribshotzip.jpg

So, is there anything more that needs to be added/changed? I think this should help spread prefabs with much less effort/mess, but I'd like to make it as easy as possible for people to make.

At the moment it looks for readme's and valid images starting with "preview".

Looks pretty cool Serp.

I wonder if maybe we should try and stick closer to a darkmod directory, rather than author. The author can put in a readme anyway and it would be less confusing for people to figure out when they go to put the prefabs in darkmod.

I don't know, but it looks cool.

I wonder if maybe we should try and stick closer to a darkmod directory, rather than author. The author can put in a readme anyway and it would be less confusing for people to figure out when they go to put the prefabs in darkmod.

The directories etc over there are just from mirroring Fidcals stuff, but I'd rather leave it in a 'less darkmodish' structure anyway, while I would help people place the files I think it would restrict browsing around. It does give me an idea tho.

Mmm other than that audio previews are now working too for wav/oggs in Opera/FF and oggs in Chrome/Konq... and if you're using Safari well get the hell out, I doubt anything works. I love new 'features' in 3 lines :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone has probably thought about this already, but I'll post here anyways:

TDM has tree models with green leaves.

Howsabout making skins for the tree models that change the leaf colors from green to autumn yellowish.

This would give more punch to the tree models. Mappers could create autumn/summer setting with simple tree skin change. Also there could be a leaf skin that is entirely transparent, giving the trees a winter/dead leafless look.

Any thoughts?

Clipper

Someone has probably thought about this already, but I'll post here anyways:

TDM has tree models with green leaves.

Howsabout making skins for the tree models that change the leaf colors from green to autumn yellowish.

This would give more punch to the tree models. Mappers could create autumn/summer setting with simple tree skin change. Also there could be a leaf skin that is entirely transparent, giving the trees a winter/dead leafless look.

Any thoughts?

I'm working on new ways to build trees (photo source leaf, make model, clone it a bunch, add to branches, v\clone branches, bake tex....)

gonna take awhile. but once i have the models done I'll be swapping the leaf tex from green to yellow and rebaking...

can also do bare branches.

hopefully it turns out with very realist trees with good volume and tex and not to hi poly counts.(but they will be higher than older trees). One spot that i think has to have alot of polys thrown at them if they are gonna look really good.

I would love to have (or find) this: Select object (entity or even brush), then RMB->Move Camera here.

The MMB on my mouse is not working (no DR issue, it works nowhere, already reinstalled drivers, Revoltec does not do updates...) so I can´t use 'Drag Camera'. That leads my to second request: Actually it´s not possible to assign new shortcut commands that include Mouse-buttons.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more