The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Vocals

Springheel

She recorded these before I got the list of what lines to focus on, but in any case I still need to send her the lines from other parts as reference. How's the accent?

Haven't heard anything on this since the feedback...were you able to move forward with this at all?

The actress has the script, all the feedback, and sample lines to listen to from the other sets, but I don't know if she's plowed through them all yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Here we are with a first batch. She apologises for the delay, and promises another batch shortly.

Unexpectedly, she actually broke the vocals up into separate files based on the samples I sent her. Unfortunately, I notice the lines are very quiet and need amplifying. Do you have a batch utility to do that?

Here's the file as they are:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oa9haj

Unexpectedly, she actually broke the vocals up into separate files based on the samples I sent her. Unfortunately, I notice the lines are very quiet and need amplifying. Do you have a batch utility to do that?

I'm not aware of one but hopefully someone else can help. They're VERY faint. Also, something that can batch-convert them to .ogg would be helpful.

For the rest of them, let her know that one big file is fine. I can chop them up myself.

I'll let her know. As for a conversion to OGG, BeSweet can do that. It might also have the option to normalise the volume.

http://besweet.notrace.dk/

I checked and found that the latest version of WinFF supports batch conversion of MP3 to OGG, and it's much more user-friendly than BeSweet. Also, I confirmed that you can amplify the audio with it at the same time. Just add "-vol 5000" under the "Options>Additional Command Line Parameters" tab. (5000 may still be a little too quiet. Try maybe up to 6000?)

Anyway, here's WinFF: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1093

Edited by Tch

I'll let her know. As for a conversion to OGG, BeSweet can do that. It might also have the option to normalise the volume.

http://besweet.notrace.dk/

I checked and found that the latest version of WinFF supports batch conversion of MP3 to OGG,

Ugh! Please record the vocals in some lossless format like FLAC and only then convert them to OGG. Converting them first (with probably bad compression options, too) to MP3, then recompressing to OGG will introduce unnec. compression artefacts.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Excellent vocals. Terrible recording (normalized and this becomes very evident). And, yes, lossy compression should be buried deep in the dustbin of history...

But again, I, as a fan-player-bystanding-opinionator, liked the vocals muchly.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

If you need an Ogg Vorbis encoder, OggDrop for Windows is another good free choice. It does batch-encoding. As for normalization, ecanormalize is a good Linux choice. It does batch-normalization on tuns of files at once. I used ecanormalize to normalize a bunch of s3m/xm/mod files that I converted to OGG for my mp3 player. :)

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I'm in the middle of a big project right now, so if there's anyone with some free time who feels like converting these for me, it would be appreciated.

Is the volume of those files going to be fixed, or is this the set we're going to work with? I can definitely help cutting the files, renaming and converting them, but I want to do that using the final files of course.

Other than the low volume, the recording quality doesn't sound too bad to me. However, Tels is right, we shouldn't be using 128kbps MP3 as the source files, if they are to be opened, normalised and then converted to Ogg. FLAC or WAV originals are the way to go.

Just a general question about Voices in TDM:

Would it be possible to extract the voice sounds from Thief 1 and 2 (they were in .wav format as far as I can remember) and overwrite the actual TDM-setting? Or are there too many differences so that there are not enough sounds which are fitting to the TDM voices?

Just a question because I know it's not possible because of copyright-bla -_-

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Toni, I don't find the original thread anymore, but it's being frowned upon to ask such a question. I did, and I almost got my head bitten off. If such a thing as you describe it would be done, It would never be mentioned here, let alone linked to or even hosted here.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Sure, it wouldn't be encouraged* and couldn't be hosted (or likely even condoned) by the 'mod official', but it's your mod; locally you can do whatever you want with it.

*In such a project as TDM, time and effort are better spent improving it, not making it into something else; wouldn't you agree?

Or are there too many differences so that there are not enough sounds which are fitting to the TDM voices?

That will very probably be the case. We aren't restricted by CD-ROM size and can add whenever whatever we want :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That would only be a problem if we were trying to fit Dark Mod voices into Thief. Technically all the Thief voice sets could replace all the Dark Mod ones even if that means less quantity and quality.

That's all I wanted to know - thanks! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager