The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

That is looking fantastic!

Another modeler contributing soon too! :D

Thanks!

I think I'm done:

Globelow5.png

I didn't make any normal or spec map for the globe as it is supposed to be covered in paper (which basically don't have any specularity) and xNormal didn't want to generate any normals from the sphere (it was just a neutral blue color all over).

Globe:

- 320 polys

- 1024*2048 diffuse texture

Frame:

- 2934 polys

- 1024*2048 diffuse, spec and normal textures

Would 2*512*1024 pixel textures be low enough for this?

Ah, ok. :) I think 512x1024 would be fine...looking forward to seeing how this looks in game. :)

Well done. The details came out very well I think. Don't forget about a corroded brass version if you have the time! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Ah, ok. :) I think 512x1024 would be fine...looking forward to seeing how this looks in game. :)

Alright that's what I thought too. I look forward to it, as well!

Well done. The details came out very well I think. Don't forget about a corroded brass version if you have the time! :)

Thank you! What parts of it would you like to have in brass?

The entire frame and rings, I think - something with a bit of patina (c.f. the image below), like you would find in an alchemist's or mage's shop. Then we could create alternate skins for it like a sky globe or something. B)

post-2023-129147759212_thumb.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The entire frame and rings, I think - something with a bit of patina (c.f. the image below), like you would find in an alchemist's or mage's shop. Then we could create alternate skins for it like a sky globe or something. B)

post-2023-129147759212_thumb.jpg

I'll see what I can do. Right now I'm working on a skin for the globe with a celestial map (the same as someone posted earlier) but I'll get to your request when that's finished. BTW what's a sky globe? I tried to google and search for it on wikipedia but I couldn't find anything.

Here's a Blender render with actual-res textures (2*512*1024 pixels):

Globelow6.png

Sky globe - sorry, I meant a celestial globe.

Sky globe - sorry, I meant a celestial globe.

Alright, that's what I was planning to make. See below!

Terrific work!

I can't wait till I'm sneaking past this one in candle-lit room.

:D

Thanks!

Here's the second skin (brass+celestial map):

Globelow6skin-1.png

This is with high-res textures that will be downscaled.

I was also considering making a kind of hybrid frame with both brass and wood where the ring that holds the globe in place is made of brass with everything else wooden.

Wow, really nice work there Noss! :o

Some of the 'weave' covered wood seems to have issues with the normalmap mirroring(on the far back-right), but other than that it's looking really really nice and as always, I really cant say I've seen low poly work as consistently high quality.

I hope you get some form of credit for this in your uni course :)

That globe is upside down! :laugh:

Looks good, though - although still seems to be somewhere between wood and brass.

No question about it. :)

Wow, really nice work there Noss! :o

but other than that it's looking really really nice and as always, I really cant say I've seen low poly work as consistently high quality.

Thanks a lot, Serps, that is one of the nicest things anyone's ever said about my art!

Some of the 'weave' covered wood seems to have issues with the normalmap mirroring(on the far back-right)

Yeah, I don't really know what is going on with that seam as it is mostly the normal maps fault (which I made with xNormal without any fancy settings so it should be good), there is some color-change that I can easily fix though. This isn't really the first time that's happened and in the past I've just hoped it'd work nice in Doom 3, but in reality I've just been setting myself up for disappointment :(.

I hope you get some form of credit for this in your uni course :)

Hmm, yeah, I haven't really considered that, but I'll try to ask.

That globe is upside down! :laugh:

Actually it's not. The illustrations are rotated a lot differently but most of them are pointing somewhat upwards.

Looks good, though - although still seems to be somewhere between wood and brass.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe you should get rid of those colortone variations on the brass completely and maybe put some scratches or rust instead.

Yeah, I know. I'll try to make the specularity more yellow/orange and also to add some scratches as well. I don't know about rust though as this would be a pretty expensive item which one would probably take good care about, so there probably shouldn't be any rust on it. Also add to that that it'll most probably be located inside and that brass don't rust and it won't even be realistic with rust.

Still, the globe's kick-ass! ;)

Thank you!

Actually it's not. The illustrations are rotated a lot differently but most of them are pointing somewhat upwards.

The titles look upside-down though.

I agree with making the brass more "brassy", but overall I think it looks great. :)

I agree with making the brass more "brassy", but overall I think it looks great. :)

Thanks! And yeah, I'll try to make it more metallic.

The titles look upside-down though.

Yeah, but if you look at the texture it is circle based so there is no way to map it so that the text is pointing the right way without rotating the text manually which I'd be happy to skip. Besides I will halve the texture res as well so it will hopefully not be as visible.

I don't know anything about skyglobes, but is that line at the borders of the circles really supposed to form an equator? I doubt anyway, that anyone would have a problem, if this was not scientifically correct, so why not just flip it by 90 degrees, so that all titles are upfacing? Have the axis go through the top and bottom of those two circles.

Anyway, I have just been thinking about the new horse that comes with TDM 1.03 and I had a couple of ideas, if you seek further tasks. A cool closed carriage (preferably also enterable) or a plough for a horse (we even still have one of these at my parents' home, if you need further images :)) might be nice.

I don't know anything about skyglobes, but is that line at the borders of the circles really supposed to form an equator? I doubt anyway, that anyone would have a problem, if this was not scientifically correct, so why not just flip it by 90 degrees, so that all titles are upfacing? Have the axis go through the top and bottom of those two circles.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll try this later.

Anyway, I have just been thinking about the new horse that comes with TDM 1.03 and I had a couple of ideas, if you seek further tasks. A cool closed carriage (preferably also enterable) or a plough for a horse (we even still have one of these at my parents' home, if you need further images :)) might be nice.

I did try to make an open carriage some time ago, I could try to finish that (though I have already dropped that project twice). Otherwise I was thinking about making a venetian mask or perhaps a tricorne.

Yeah those headgear things would be very cool too, especially if they could actually be used on AI. Those open up quite a few scenarios for future FMs (Pirates / regular sailors, opera, carnival, private club / brothel, super hero :P). I like it!

The skyglobe is positioned fine. The constellation names are aligned according to the positions of the celestial north and south poles. When the observer is looking directly at either of the poles, then the names for the constellations in that hemisphere appear (somewhat) right side up.

Here is a labled picture followed by a screenshot from Stellarium. The positions of the constellations can be compared. The dashed line around the center of the globe is the line of the Ecliptic Celestial Equator.

The big difference between these 2 images is that one is the sky map observed from outside (globe) and the other is the sky observed from the inside as though standing on earth and looking up (Stellarium).... so the positions of the constellations between the 2 images seem reversed.

globe_new01.png

snap78.png

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Yeah those headgear things would be very cool too, especially if they could actually be used on AI.

I hoped that TDM already had such a feature, but hopefylly someone'll implement it if I make them.

Those open up quite a few scenarios for future FMs (Pirates / regular sailors, opera, carnival, private club / brothel, super hero :P). I like it!

Yeah, that's pretty much my reasoning behind it as well. If functionality for making AI wear hats do get implemented I may even do that Plague Doctor Mask that I talkedabout a couple weeks ago.

The skyglobe is positioned fine. The constellation names are aligned according to the positions of the celestial north and south poles. When the observer is looking directly at either of the poles, then the names for the constellations in that hemisphere appear right side up.

Here is a labled picture followed by a screenshot from Stellarium. The positions of the constellations can be compared. The dashed line around the center of the globe is the line of the Ecliptic.

The big difference between these 2 images is that one is the sky map observed from outside (globe) and the other is the sky observed from the inside as though standing on earth and looking up (Stellarium).... so the positions of the constellations between the 2 images seem reversed.

Sounds like my guesswork actually resulted in an accurate globe. Awesome!

Edited by Nosslak