The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

Sounds like my guesswork actually resulted in an accurate globe. Awesome!

Yeah, that works well :) I edited my post because I had said the dashed line on the globe was the Ecliptic, but I had meant to type 'Celestial Equator' which runs below, not through, Taurus.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I hoped that TDM already had such a feature, but hopefylly someone'll implement it if I make them.

Hats can already be attached with "bind", and I can always make new head entities with hats already. I'd love to see some more varied headgear...and hairstyles, for that matter.

Hats can already be attached with "bind", and I can always make new head entities with hats already. I'd love to see some more varied headgear...and hairstyles, for that matter.

Is it then possible to script a character to tip their hat in greeting or respect? Possibly to raise their hand and take the hat that is bound to their head, bind it to the hand to tip it, and then return it to the head where it will bind again?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I hoped that TDM already had such a feature, but hopefylly someone'll implement it if I make them.

Yeah, that's already supported. No problems. What I was meaning to say was that the mask has to fit on the regular AI faces.

Is it then possible to script a character to tip their hat in greeting or respect? Possibly to raise their hand and take the hat that is bound to their head, bind it to the hand to tip it, and then return it to the head where it will bind again?

Yes, that would already be possible using the same code that controls drawing and sheathing weapons. It would just need an appropriate animation.

I did try to make an open carriage some time ago, I could try to finish that (though I have already dropped that project twice). Otherwise I was thinking about making a venetian mask or perhaps a tricorne.

Did you finish off the royal orb? I can't remember where you got with that but I'll be needing it in a few weeks.:)

Great!

Yeah, that's already supported. No problems. What I was meaning to say was that the mask has to fit on the regular AI faces.

Alright, I was planning to import some faces and model the mask/hat to fit on the heads, so no real surprises there.

Did you finish off the royal orb? I can't remember where you got with that but I'll be needing it in a few weeks.:)

It's almost finished. I just need to change the color of some parts of the metal (the parts that are below the patterns), which is usually very fast and easy as I just bake down flat colors and make layer masks from that, but for some reason Blenders color-bake doesn't match up with xNormal ambient and normals bake. This requires me to do a mask for it manually which is very slow and tedious work, that I'm not looking forward to. I can upload it somewhere if someone wants to try their hand at it.

PranQster: Enlightening! I learn something every day. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Alright, I've been a little busy with some school work but I've finally got some time to work on this again. Here's how it currently looks:

Globelow6skin2.png

I think I'm quite content with the metal look of it, but there are still some small things I'll have to take care of (primarily cleaning up my baked AO and baking the rotated starmap), before it's completely finished.

Edited by Nosslak

Yes, that looks mighty good. :)

I wonder, how many of these models are part of the 1.03 release? The wiki article doesn't list them yet. Or do they require more work, and will be added in 1.04?

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Amazing work.:wub:

Yes, that looks mighty good. :)

Thanks!

I wonder, how many of these models are part of the 1.03 release? The wiki article doesn't list them yet. Or do they require more work, and will be added in 1.04?

Sadly none of them are, except maybe the bellows model as I sent that off to the bug-tracker. There are several of them that aren't finished either like:

- The lamppost: Serpentine were going to fix something with the normalmap, I don't think he ever did.

- The deer staff/pole: I never got around to making a shadow or collisionmesh for this as I was pretty bored with it when I got to that stage.

- The cutlass: I don't really know how to make a lowpoly shadowmesh for this that doesn't intersect with the mesh.

- The royal orb: Colorbaking failed so I'll have to make my masks manually which will take some time as I also wanted another color for the detailed pattern.

I did finish the screenwalls, spyglass and bellows though. If anyone want to try to make some shadow/collisionmeshes for those unfinished models then just say so and I'll upload the models for you.

Edited by Nosslak

What format are they in? If they're .lwo you can send me any that are finished or need a shadowmesh.

Strange. I found some flipped verts in the models (one of the entire antlers was inverted). I made a shadowmesh for the skull staff, but the model is crashing DR for me and I have no idea why. Everything looks fine in LW.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by inverted verts but I might've forgotten to apply scale/location/rotation to it so that may be the reason for that or it might just be the exporter. Send them back and I'll try to export them as .ASE and see if that works out any better.

I was also preparing some work for the mask(s) that I'll probably make after the globe and was trying to find an MD5 importer for Blender, but I had no luck. So do you think you could export the face models to .LWO, .OBJ, .BLEND or whatever for me as well?

Thanks!

Edited by Nosslak

So do you think you could export the face models to .LWO, .OBJ, .BLEND or whatever for me as well?

Which face models? You mean a character head? I think there is a .lwo mask already on SVN that you could use as a base.

Let me know when that globe is fully finished and upload it somewhere (well you may be on SVN by then) and I'll look at making a def entity so the globe part spins.

I'm not sure where the axis of rotation would go on that actually. I see what looks like a pole but no support there. Is that an error? Shouldn't the poles be lined up with a support axis?

Let me know when that globe is fully finished and upload it somewhere (well you may be on SVN by then) and I'll look at making a def entity so the globe part spins.

Will do!

I'm not sure where the axis of rotation would go on that actually. I see what looks like a pole but no support there. Is that an error? Shouldn't the poles be lined up with a support axis?

Yes, they should and that is how I made it first but then someone complained about the names being rotated 90 degrees so I had to rotate it.