The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

BTW how high should I make this? I've got a character that I can use for reference and I would guess it should be about as high as he is, but I don't have any real idea about how high these were.

I'd make one that is about six feet high and then one about twice that.

Also will it matter if the shadowmesh penetrates the 100% black parts of the inside of the chimney of the visible mesh?

Not quite sure what you mean here. As long as the shadowmesh can't be seen poking through the visible mesh it should be fine.

I'd make one that is about six feet high and then one about twice that.

I'll do that too, then.

Not quite sure what you mean here. As long as the shadowmesh can't be seen poking through the visible mesh it should be fine.

Here's that I mean:

blender2011-10-1614-01-56-32.jpg

The part where the shadowmesh is intersecting is 100% black and will not receive any specular highlights. If I keep it intersecting I will save about 30 polygons. Would it work?

So I thought I should test how fast I actually am today:

screenshot0.png

2.5h in total (for highpoly, lowpoly, unwrap, generating textures and manual texturing). 264 polygons and temporary 1024 * 2048 textures. I'm also using Marmoset for presentation from here on as you can probably see that the render quality is leaps and bounds above what I usually present (I really do suck at lighting).

So I know TDM already have 2 barrels but do you want it anyways?

The purple is the shadowmesh? It should be fine.

Great! I haven't finished the work on the CM and SMs for the cart or the alembic yet so I'll just crawl back into my corner.

Just want to say Thank you Nosslak for continue adding all that great models !!!

You're doing a great job enriching TDM :wub:

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Something about the barrel looks strange to me. Is it an irregular shape or is the perspective just really strong in that shot?

I am getting the same impression, but can't tell why. Maybe not sufficiently rotund? :blush:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just want to say Thank you Nosslak for continue adding all that great models !!!

You're doing a great job enriching TDM :wub:

Thanks! I wish to thank TDM as well, because without you guys I'd probably still be a shitty artist.

Something about the barrel looks strange to me. Is it an irregular shape or is the perspective just really strong in that shot?

I am getting the same impression, but can't tell why. Maybe not sufficiently rotund? :blush:

I don't see anything wrong with it but I guess your blind to your own wrongdoing. Here's a quick side view for you:

barrelside.png

I can try making it bit fatter if you want.

My initial reaction is that the top and bottom should be a bit smaller, like this one:

barrelreceptacleclose.jpg

I can't say that there aren't barrels shaped yours though.

Also, are the nails pink for a reason?

My initial reaction is that the top and bottom should be a bit smaller, like this one:

barrelreceptacleclose.jpg

I can't say that there aren't barrels shaped yours though.

Alright, I'll go fix that.

Also, are the nails pink for a reason?

They we're supposed to look rusty, but it doesn't sound like I succeeded in that.

• 1 month later...

Good news, everyone! I managed to dramatically reduce the polycount dramatically on the leaves almost without any loss of form. I went from 24 polys to 12 on the leaves, so now it uses 1994 up polys in total instead of 3000, I also had to reduce the texture resolution by about 15% for it to work, but I think it was worth it. Here's a comparison shot for you:

Tree3.png

Which do you think is the new lowpoly?

(hint)It's not the left one!

are theses available for download yet..? or has this been asked already..

are theses available for download yet..? or has this been asked already..

I haven't uploaded it yet, sorry. I always have problems trying to motivate myself to go back to old projects and finish them (only need to make a shadow-, collisionmesh, scale it and set up the material. I did start trying to make a translucent texture for it bus as I never got it in-game I couldn't test it. I've got a bunch of models that'll need collision- and shadowmeshes so if someone feels that they've got the time I can upload them as they are in more or less any format.

They look rusty to me, not pink.

That was the idea.

The reason that I haven't been very active lately is because I've been pretty busy with schoolwork and I've been asked to help some friends with a game project they're making (I'll model and animate a character and some props). My work hasn't really started yet but it will do maybe next week or so.

That albemic would work very well in a map I'm working on right now, so I don't mind getting that one game ready. I could do the trees too if you want to send them.

that normal map on the albemic could probably be improved if yuo use a cage mesh, it'll keep the trim from being wavey. Or just baking those details flat.

I know, but there is so little waviness (basically only on the trim on the brass) and it still looks good from most angles that I think I'll just skip fixing that. AFAIK Blender doesn't support cages either so I'll just have to rely on baking it flat.

Here's the alembic:

http://dl.dropbox.co...935/Alembic.rar

I did start making both a shadow and collisionmesh for this one but IMO they are pretty shitty, so you might to make them from scratch.

Here's the tree:

http://dl.dropbox.co...000935/Tree.rar

I've made no CM or SM for this.

Also of note:

- I exported as obj because Blender acted weird when I tried LW

- I didn't re-size the textures as I wasn't sure which sizes would be appropriate.

Good luck!

[EDIT]Completely offtopic but could you please add my name (Robin "Nosslak" Karlsson) to the team section on the site (apparently it's just a part of the in-game credits and not the online ones)?

Edited by Nosslak

Umm no, I've already made it clear that he should just finish that himself. If I want to do all the shit work on a model I'll just make a model myself.

I've gone to great lengths to describe that whole process in detail several times for several people already.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest