The Dark Mod Forums

Had an motorcycle accident:

Bikerdude

Yikes! Glad you're alright.

Glad nothing happened to you!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Glad nothing happened to you!

Indeed! If the bike was destroyed (write-off?) it's really lucky you got out unscathed.

Curious thing: I got almost run over by a car on my bicycle today. Must be somekind of international idiots-behind-driving-wheels theme week now.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

It's good to hear that you are alright.

I am always worried about cyclists as I've seen too many "squidey" stories on things like Discovery Channel documentaries.

If that happened to me, my superstitious brain would be saying that it was a Karma balance for releasing such a great FM (every good thing must be accompanied by a bad thing... that's my combo superstition-cynicism outlook).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The other driver had been drinking, but lucky for him he was just under the limit.

Needless to say its put my in a right bind. no bike, no transport. I can hire a bike but the other insurance co will have to cover it. Then there is the damage to my gear as well as the bike, then personal injury..

-_-

took some pics of derbies I recovered...

post-496-128258992628_thumb.jpg

post-496-128258992945_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

At least you are still in one piece. That's good; keep it up!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Nasty. It's a jungle out there. Had a similar experience many years ago; car out a side street onto the main road carried me sideways with it. I'm lying there in the rush hour with a horizontal view of a double decker bus hurtling towards me. Fortunately auto-pilot took over and I stood up, lifted up the bike and carried it to the pavement. Only realized later the front wheel was buckled. I was hardly scratched.

There is this 'blind to bikes' psychology. They don't seem important to a big expensive vehicle so mentally they don't have the same significance. It's a feeling thing rather than a reasoning thing. Hence these days you get these various flashing lights and reflectors and so on. "Hey - I'm here!"

Glad you are okay as well, Biker.

I know some people who've had some really bad accidents on bikes.

I've never known one that didn't eventually end up having... I gotta be honest: I don't like motorcycles anywhere near me on the road.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Oh, I'm definitely not saying that bikers are more likely to be at fault in the case of "accidents" or other misadventures... no... all I'm saying is bikers are definitely more likely to end up un-belted, unrollbarred, unwindshielded, unairbagged, unfirewalled, and, generally... it's really quite scary.

Accidents do happen; and idiots abound allthemore; and I just fear for those riding around on bikes.

I guess you've already indicated that your bike is you means of transport, but I hope you can get something else for that and use the bike as a "outskirts" kind of thing, at the very least.

Anyway, again, main thing is you are okay so stay that way. ;)

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

There was a local bicycle rider who was a big safety proponent. Gave talks and demonstrations to kids, spoke about it at town meetings, etc.

And then one day he decided to do a U-turn right in front of an oncoming car that had the ROW.

All it takes is one mistake.

updated the first post

Hope the personal injuries were only moral ones due to the shape of your beloved bike. It is certainly shorter now. Still, as the others said you were really lucky. I gave up motorcycle riding a long time ago and am aiming for a quad now - maybe not as much fun, but way safer, especially when driving with kids.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.