The Dark Mod Forums

ScccCCcaaaRRryy movies.

jdude

People here must have some favorite scary movies, share!

I think "The Descent" is an excellent horror driven movie. At no point was I thinking 'why would you do that!?' and everything was logical which made it so much easier to get into for me.

[REC] was absolutely awesome. Don't watch the crappy English remake entitled Quarantine.

I thought Event Horizon, even though plagued with flaws, including bad acting, was worth the watch. The concept was cool :)

If anyone's looking for a zombie movie, I think Dawn of the Dead(2004) was/is the best out there. Then 28 weeks/days are pretty good too.

I just finished 17 hours of straight work, so I'll post some more tomorrow!

I never find movies scary really, which is a shame, because I like to be scared. I especially despise those that are about some youngsters crashing by car and chased by a chainsaw murderer or whatever. Of course the one who smokes pot and the black dude die first, followed by the couple who is heavily going at it. That applies to "The Descent" for me too, sorry. :) Despite these movies also fit into that category, I somehow liked the House of thousand corpses movies, as they had a pretty discomforting atmosphere.

I like zombie movies though. It's good entertainment for a men-evening with a whiskey and some cigars. ;) I prefer the classics however, like The Evil Dead movies. I especially love how the main character evolves throughout these 3 movies. Peter Jackson's Braindead / Dead Alive is always highly recommended too of course, although it's rather a comedy than horror. It is definitely a must-see!!

If you are addicted to the Halloween spirit and will watch Horror films ranging from serious to pure hilarious farce you should check-out Cinemassacre's Monster Madness for some goof-ball reviews of vintage horror.

Some of my personal favorites:

1) Stir of Echoes

2) The Gate

3) Critters

4) The Manitou

5) The Fly

6) The Guardian

(I tried to include somewhat obscure stuff but most folks would've seen these except maybe The Manitou... So maybe just a list of reminders.)

I will now gush that you should see Donnie Darko whether you think it's a horror film or not... ;)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, if it helps the original chainsaw masacre was a true story,

The killer was very, very loosely based on Ed Gein. If that makes it a true story, then you could also say I Robot is a true story because the robots were loosely based on ASIMO. :)

Hmm, I´m not sure about Descent, maybe I watched the German version. And that I can´t remember isn´t a good sign...

Pandorum looks interesting, don´t know it.

It´s hard these days to like movies.

To my mind come nostalgic things like:

Halloween (the original or Director´s Cut)

Alien

:)

and:

Resident Evil - the first only (I love the Soundtrack!)

Blair Witch - again only the first. This one is the only movie that could suck me in, mainly because of the style it was made.

Yes, I will watch Blair Witch, this time in the english version... :ph34r:

Hey, all the movies I listed have successors, I´m such mainstream, aren´t I... <_<

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

The killer was very, very loosely based on Ed Gein. If that makes it a true story, then you could also say I Robot is a true story because the robots were loosely based on ASIMO. smile.gif

Yeah, guess you're right (if wiki is wink.gif ) I'd always heard it was true.

Town that Dreaded Sundown

http://en.wikipedia....Dreaded_Sundown

IS a true story, is a freaky serial killer, is creepy, was scary when I was a kid. Very in line with the Texas Cahinsaw Massacre type movie, but obscure, might be hard to find on short notice.

The Serpent and the Rainbow, a classic voodoo flick.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I never find movies scary really, which is a shame, because I like to be scared. I especially despise those that are about some youngsters crashing by car and chased by a chainsaw murderer or whatever. Of course the one who smokes pot and the black dude die first, followed by the couple who is heavily going at it. That applies to "The Descent" for me too, sorry. :) Despite these movies also fit into that category, I somehow liked the House of thousand corpses movies, as they had a pretty discomforting atmosphere.

I like zombie movies though. It's good entertainment for a men-evening with a whiskey and some cigars. ;) I prefer the classics however, like The Evil Dead movies. I especially love how the main character evolves throughout these 3 movies. Peter Jackson's Braindead / Dead Alive is always highly recommended too of course, although it's rather a comedy than horror. It is definitely a must-see!!

Aww man I hated House of 1000 Corpses, but the sequel I loved! Their such different movies, I got an adrenaline rush from watching specific hate filled scenes with the cop in "The Devil's Rejects". It was awesome, it's anti-hero vs anti-hero! (Trying not to spoil.)

Well, in part 1 I only liked the finale. With the bunnies and Dr. Evil, or what was he called? :) I agree that the second part is way better!! It was really cool. I can't believe I only watched it once so far. Gonna rewatch it today I guess...

Well, in part 1 I only liked the finale. With the bunnies and Dr. Evil, or what was he called? :) I agree that the second part is way better!! It was really cool. I can't believe I only watched it once so far. Gonna rewatch it today I guess...

I did the same thing last week Lol

@ nbohr1more

I'm going to check those suggestions out, I just youtubed 'the gate' I love the classic 80s special effects.

I never find movies scary really, which is a shame, because I like to be scared.

Well, forget american titles then, look for a japan/korean movies. They´re scary, though often rather disturbing.

Not fan of horror movies myself, but got friend who is a maniac to j-horror so i´ve been forced to watch some :D

Don´t remember all their names, bt those are few i can recommend to horror freaks :

Audition.

Visitor Q.

Imprint.

A tale of two sisters.

pretty much anything by Takashi Miike.

Widely known Ringu and Jü-On.

there were much more, bu i don´t really care so i can remember.

Prepare to be, at least, pretty disturbed.

And i agree, movies are not so scary, than realy scary games... shame there´s only few

Edited by Trickster

The Gate ... that was a great addition to the "Golden age of the VCR" during my childhood. I recall that my friend's father bought a special VCR that was setup to record HBO programs. (At the time HBO was putting an interference signal in their premium content, similar to the signal that prevents commercial VHS to VHS copies.) The Gate was a prelude to getting to see all the Nightmare on Elmstreet films and a couple of other horror gems like Troll.

Those were good times jdude.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah, on stream? I wasted my time last year with corrupt or crappy torrents and finally bought the US-DVDbox for nearly 60 bucks and can only watch it with a trick for my PS2. Oh wait, now I have a PC with regional DVD-settings... :blush:

There were constantly plans around for a second, better Spawn movie, though in a complete different way (I guess like 'Spawn - The Undead'-comic books), but it´s not coming so fast...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Pandorum (sci-fi thriller). Strongly recommended.

I stopped watching this movie after a few minutes because I couldn't bear it. Really, it totally made me freak out. How can ppl watch these movies and be completely calm?!?

Anyway, what about those Japanese horror flicks like Audition, Dark Water or Ringu? Scared the hell out of me.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I stopped watching this movie after a few minutes because I couldn't bear it. Really, it totally made me freak out. How can ppl watch these movies and be completely calm?!?

Anyway, what about those Japanese horror flicks like Audition, Dark Water or Ringu? Scared the hell out of me.

Because it's just a movie :laugh:

Very very rarely will this thought not be in the back of my head.

Because it's just a movie  :laugh:

Very very rarely will this thought not be in the back of my head.

You mean you are not sucked onto the other side of the screen? Then how can you enjoy games like TDM? After all, they are all about immersion. I mean, when playing an FM I *am* The Thief, or the Space Marine in Doom3 or whatever. With movies it's similar: if a (horror) movie doesn't manage to immerse me, if ultimately failed. 

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I find games to be much more immersive, especially if they have good sound effects. Games are generally consistent with graphics but in a movie the slightest inconsistency bumps me out of immersion. But watching movies I usually end up thinking 'ooo how did they do that?' After mapping for TDM I've started doing that a little with games too which has taken away some of the magic.

Yeah, I think so too. You tend to analyze things that you see, especially if you have some background knowledge either technical or from being an artist. And also, you can't interact with the world in a movie, which kills the immersion for me as soon as I am diverted or whish to see something else in the respective movie. It's really hard to be immersed and I applaud directors and storyboard writers who manage to do so.

By the way, I saw "Shining" yesterday, as I've never seen it until now. I was 6 when that movie came out, so I missed it. ;) I noticed that a lot of its magic comes from the mostly disharmonious soundtrack (and of course Nicholson's fantastic facial expressions). The american horror movies of today simply seem to concentrate on the wrong things: shock effects and splatter. But four shock effect in 90 minutes, an intro of 30 minutes and the rest of the time running away and splatter doesn't make a movie good. Boring actually!! One would think that directors would learn from the earlier movie development instead of taking a step back...

• 4 weeks later...

The Shining is hard to beat, just such a great movie on so many levels.

Unfortunately a few years ago I saw a TV remake BY Stephen King. As usual it completely blew. His stories are great, and his movies directed by someone else are usually great too, but the one's he directs are pretty bad.

It was so bad they used red lighting on the actors face when he'd get mad, etc... The original didn't need anything of the sort.

I've been inside that hotel too, up in Estes Park. They thought it would make them famous, then they saw the movie and promptly cut down the grass maze and redecorated. It's hard to even recognize it now.

And the intro road going up to it was somewhere else, can't remember though, so in the movie it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, but there's really a quaint little mountain town right next to it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I don't watch movies anymore, but two of my favorite scary ones were "What Lies Beneath" and "The Ring" (NOT the sequel!). It seems like with a lot of scary movies (like Scream), you can predict what is going to happen before it does. This detracts from both the immersion and the scare-factor. The two movies I mentioned above have sudden scares that most viewers won't see coming.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

The Shining is hard to beat, just such a great movie on so many levels.

Unfortunately a few years ago I saw a TV remake BY Stephen King. As usual it completely blew. His stories are great, and his movies directed by someone else are usually great too, but the one's he directs are pretty bad.

It was so bad they used red lighting on the actors face when he'd get mad, etc... The original didn't need anything of the sort.

I've been inside that hotel too, up in Estes Park. They thought it would make them famous, then they saw the movie and promptly cut down the grass maze and redecorated. It's hard to even recognize it now.

And the intro road going up to it was somewhere else, can't remember though, so in the movie it looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, but there's really a quaint little mountain town right next to it.

Oops at what I posted below... my bad, I should read posts more carefully. But I'm leaving it anyway... What I post here was in reference to the original film, not the TV series (which I never fully saw)

The exterior shot (in the original film) of the Overlook Hotel was the Timberline Lodge and hotel on Mount Hood, Oregon. I'm not entirely sure about the opening scene flying over the road up to it.

One more thing... the folks at the hotel in Estes park may have been throwing you a line. ALL interior shots in the movie were done on a sound stage in England, including the hedge maze: <<< related to the Film only, not the mini-series

"The 1980 movie The Shining, based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, used aerial shots of Timberline as part of its opening scene. Film of the exterior of the Timberline Lodge is also used for some establishing shots of the fictional Overlook Hotel throughout the movie. However, several of the exterior shots in the film which purport to show the Lodge, such as those with the hedge maze or loading dock, were not taken at the Timberline Lodge itself, but at Elstree Studios in England, using a mock-up of the south face of the Lodge. There is no hedge maze (and hardly any level ground) at the Timberline Lodge. All interior scenes were shot at Elstree Studios as well, and do not depict the interior of the Timberline Lodge"

The interior sets were based on the interior of the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley, California:

"Parts of the Overlook Hotel interior set of the Stanley Kubrick movie The Shining were modeled after the Ahwahnee hotel interior. The lobby and great lounge are most prominently represented, although neither is a literal copy. Kubrick changed the Great Lounge in particular, adding a staircase, shifting the position of the enormous fireplace, and adding a mural. The Ahwahnee's lobby elevator doors, with their vivid black-and-red frame, are also very conspicuously featured in the film."

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8