The Dark Mod Forums

Inventor's Guild

Aprilsister

A lanternbot from my texture test level:

post-2023-129464362697_thumb.jpg

NotGarrett's puny lantern will be no match for this critter's powerful light-beam!

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A screenshot from Darkfate shows this figure, which is rather like the stereotype you brought up, but I am not sure he was meant to be final - probably not:

inventor.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

We already have at least one inventor model weighting to be rigged. I made another one based on the forger above, but that was a long time ago and I'd probably have to redo him.

The inventor is probably one of the characters I'll rig for 1.05.

Not sure if he's being used yet. My map is on hold until I decide to finish or pass it on and it was going to have a small inventors area.

Just thought I'd mention, the 1.02 lantern bot had in with a few minor bugs, but those were fixed for 1.03.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Wonder if Nosslak would like to try a watcher-type thing?

Seeing as how I'm not the only one interested in this... I'm going to go get Nosslak...

Those would be cool, but model is not enough: it probably needs some kind of AI too.

I'm thinking it would be nice to those guardians have the possibility to target things when it detects the player: when it sees the player it triggers an alarm speaker entity (which we do not have yet), closes doors and sets the gasoline storage on fire...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Damn that's damned ugly.

Indeed it is, because it doesn't make good use of low-res textures and low-poly models. A lot of Thief 2 models were like that - a regression. But then they were throwing that game together to get it out and avoid a rapidly approaching bankruptcy, so... can't say I blame them.

I can't say I blame them either.

I can say I thank them for getting T2 done.

I can also say that that is ugly. I can also say that the use of low-res textures and low-poly models such as what they were working with makes things harder, "good use" or not.

I can also say that TDM offers a much muCH mUCH MUCH richer and better arena to create much muCH mUCH MUCH richer and better visuals.

I can also say that TDM also kicks the ass of T2 as a base for FMs in so many other ways it's a shame that anyone would bother with the old clunker.

So I say it.

But I do not take a backseat to anyone as far as being a fan of the original Thief series.

Just because Delores Nutbalm can't accept the fact -- when I point out the fact -- that Jesus never actually existed does not make her, despite her protestations, more Christian than I. Nor does is make me a devil worshiper... she's just missing the main point entirely, which is sad. And missing the other point as well, which is funny. ;)

Wonder if Nosslak would like to try a watcher-type thing?

Nosslak?

Seeing as how I'm not the only one interested in this... I'm going to go get Nosslak...

watchert.jpg

Wow, that is cool looking. I don't have much experience doing organic stuff (it is a face after all) so I'm not sure how good I'll be able to actually get it, though if there is interest in it and I only have to model it (no animations, no programming) then I'd be happy to make it once I'm finished with my lamp.

A few more angles of the model would help a little too.

Have you played T2?

I might have played a little of it. I tried getting into the earlier Thief games and managed to play through the tutorial and parts of Bafford Manor but I came to a part that was pitch black with no light what-so-ever where I didn't have any flares left so I just stopped right there, besides that I didn't find the mission to be much fun, the game crashed my computer like every 15 minutes or so and the graphics were horrible (except the well-system or whatever it's called in that mission, I was astonished at how beautiful that were). I think this was in Thief 1 but I'm not sure, I never found any interesting automatons that's for sure, though.

I can also say that TDM offers a much muCH mUCH MUCH richer and better arena to create much muCH mUCH MUCH richer and better visuals.

I can also say that TDM also kicks the ass of T2 as a base for FMs in so many other ways it's a shame that anyone would bother with the old clunker.

You're preaching to the choir, dude.

imo even if you attempt one of these sentinels you should definitely not copy the Thief 2 one, not even partly both for copyright but mainly just to be different. Just take the concept of some kind of mechanical sentry that cannot move but can scan about and make something new.

In fact the lanternbot is a mobile version of this - like the little steambot in T2. So a scanner sentinel should be more like the lanternbot in style if anything.

However, as said, it is an AI not just a static model so is much more complex than just creating a shape. Making a model sentinel is like making a statue of a guard. Ask Baddcog and Springheel how the lanternbot was conceived and implemented.

imo even if you attempt one of these sentinels you should definitely not copy the Thief 2 one, not even partly both for copyright but mainly just to be different. Just take the concept of some kind of mechanical sentry that cannot move but can scan about and make something new.

Yeah, I should probably create a new and unique design for it.

However, as said, it is an AI not just a static model so is much more complex than just creating a shape. Making a model sentinel is like making a statue of a guard. Ask Baddcog and Springheel how the lanternbot was conceived and implemented.

That's what I figured too. So if it needs animations and/or AI someone else will probably have to make those for me.

Just so we're clear how would these work? Would there be a guy who saw through these cameras and identified the trespassers or would they be automatic?

imo even if you attempt one of these sentinels you should definitely not copy the Thief 2 one, not even partly both for copyright but mainly just to be different. Just take the concept...

Glad you said that, Fidcal. I fully agree.

I do hope you get to play T2 Nosslak -- so that you can have some great fun and take in some background from which to develop, maybe, some of the stuff that may fit in this whole new (but certainly inspired by...) world.

So you say the original(s) crashed your system? You now system? Or your then system? Or 'tis as 'twas?

Yes, definitely don't copy the T2 model.

Just so we're clear how would these work? Would there be a guy who saw through these cameras and identified the trespassers or would they be automatic?

They would be automatic, and the less "magic" about them, the better.