The Dark Mod Forums

Congratulations to the Dark Mod team!

frogdude

Hello,

Just wanted to post to congratulate the Dark Mod Team on a wonderful job! I'm and old Thief fan and member of TTLG, not very active lately but the launch of this wonderful mod made me come out of my slumber.:P

I must admit, when i first heard of the idea to turn Doom 3, a game with a totally different gameplay and fan base, into a platform for Thief FMs i thought it was an unrealistic idea that wouldn't catch on. After installing it and playing a few FMs, i was extremely surprised by it's quality and faithfulness to Thief 1&2. Also, i believe that the future of the Thief community lies on projects such as this, projects that acknowledge that the Dark Engine is sadly too outdated and needs a valid successor in order to keep up a solid fan base.

Also, i have one suggestion: this may have been said before, i didn't have time to read the entire forum, but i believe that a multiplayer component would greatly increase the mod's popularity, with Thievery being outdated as well. I know that Thief is primarily a single player experience, but i found Thievery's multiplayer very gratifying in it's days, exactly how i would have pictured the multiplayer of Thief 1&2, if they would have ever had one:)

Since Doom 3 had multiplayer support, i'm thinking my suggestion is not extremely unrealistic. But then again, i'm not a programmer.:P

So, congratulations again, Dark Mod Team, for the huge amount of work you've done and the great mod you have released! And you'll be seeing more of me around here from now on!:D

(also, congrats to Melan and Bikerdude on the wonderful "Return to the City" mission! \m/ ) Going to back to play some more now....

it's annoying for Shadowhide because he hates/loves TDM with some weird twist that nobody understands.

However for the TDm team it is always nice to hear that someone new has tried it and enjoys it.

So welcome frogdude and thanks.

Can't say multi will ever happen, probably would take a lot of coding and coders are in short supply these days. However, if anyone ever stepped up and got it done it would be done. So you never know.

it's open source so there are no roadblocks, just not any road crews either.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

so annoying to read another same thread.... (there are hundreds of same threads like this )

Yes, i noticed, sorry if this bores anyone, but i was thinking that showing you're appreciation for something is always a good thing and that general double posting rules don't apply in this case. :)

If this thread clutters the forum then i apologies and kindly ask the moderators to delete it.

Edit @Baddcog - We posted at the same time.:) Thank you for the warm welcome and i'm looking forward to playing more and more FM's made for the Dark Mod!

Edited by frogdude

Thanks for the encouraging message frogdude.

I think most people can't get enough of them. :P

I would personally love multiplayer too. Just looking at it a little myself, it'd be a big task! Every system locked in to the local player, like frobbing & objectives, would have to be redone to negotiate multiple players using it in the same game... But anything's possible. Maybe someone will take it on someday; wouldn't that be fun.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/thievious

I believe that this, sir, is the mod you might be looking to watch for multiplayer thieving shenanigans! =3

Don't mind Shadowhide, he's a real ray of sunshine. =-P

Welcome and glad that you love the mod!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I'm not sure why Shadowhide feels it necessary to comment on a thread that obviously was not targetted at him, but just ignore him.

Thanks for the kind words, frogdude. Other than our own pleasure at playing cool TDM missions, positive feedback is the second best form of motivation for us. :)

Welcome frogdude!

I know that Thief is primarily a single player experience, but i found Thievery's multiplayer very gratifying in it's days, exactly how i would have pictured the multiplayer of Thief 1&2, if they would have ever had one:)

I enjoyed Thievery, but the faster paced gameplay, and the fact that guards were often running around because they *knew* there were thieves about, meant it didn't quite have the same feeling as thief. I've always thought a co-op mode, where thief players would go through a full mission against AI guards, would be better (although maybe this would be too easy?). T2 has multiplayer now so it would give a good idea how well this works, but I've not tried it yet (had some problems initially, though I think most of the bugs are worked out).

Coop in classic Thief 2 is fun. There are 100s of FMs to choose from. I recommend it to everybody. I've had a blast doing it!

It's not really too easy because you still have to hide. But it's honestly fun to have the two of you sitting in the shadow & looking ahead, plotting about how you're going to get by the next area. Or the two of you go on separate paths, he goes after one objective and you go after the other, while you update each other where you are. The cool part about that is the consequences of the other guy can sometimes lead back to you. Or occasionally you'll see your partner skirting across a far rooftop, or falling out a window to his death, lol.

Reminds me probably the coolest part about it is if you do anything cool or stupid in game, for the first time someone is there to see it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

If done right it could be very fun. I had tried Thievery early on and it was just too rough and unpolished, wasn't really into multi at the time either...

But if the gameplay was really tuned so guards know they have to stay close to guard objectives, etc... Not just run haywire around the map.

probably need cool down timers, so they can only chase so far, can't climb as well as thieves, maybe they'd have a map with blips is one of them called an alert.

thieves could have limited supplies of flash bombs, gas arrows, maybe noise makers wouldn't work, but something like a 'shadow bomb' like Fid was discussing, but it would look like a thief that would fake out real players.

guards would need ability to have several weapons, bows to shoot far, swords up close. ability to dispell darkness with a torch, at the expense of carrying a sword maybe? Could club player with torch but less damage than sword. Would be able to relight torches.

Thieves would need to fade when in shadows so they can't be seen at all (like keepers in T2 - Equilibrium). This works very well as spy in TF2. Various mechanisms in place to give them away though. If still in shadow they are completely invis, if in light they are fully vis, if moving in shadows they are 25% vis...

they could douse torches, but that would also give away position and/or distract guards.

@Baddcog - most of what you said is already available in Thievery 1.6, although the problem Midnight mentioned with the guards acting "unnatural" is indeed an immersion breaker. You can spot the guards a mile away by the classic FPS jumping behavior and precise movements. Maybe if they would force player guards to walk in order to conserve stamina or if they would reward player guards for trying to "blend" with the other AI controlled guards they could improve upon this.

Also, like most of you said, coop in Thief 2 and Thievery is a very fun and retains most of the immersion. Anyone who hasn't tried it should give it a shot!

@Glyph Seeker - thank you for the head's up. That's one Thief inspired mod i've missed. Will keep an eye on it from now on!:D

Edited by frogdude

I played Thievery for years, not anymore, but we had loads of fun. Had a private server with Leatherman, you get a good group of people playing, nothing else like it. One of the few games when I was done, my hands would shake. Loved it. I was one of the few women that did play, Thieving was my favorite, though pummeling a thief to deaf is quite invigorating. :D

You aimed for the ears? Was that some agreed upon cruel and unusual punishment?:laugh:

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Coop in classic Thief 2 is fun. There are 100s of FMs to choose from. I recommend it to everybody. I've had a blast doing it!

Interesting. Are there specifically coop FMs or are you just referring to the usual single player maps?

Also, the last time I checked, Thief 2 coop was really only some sort of dirty hack. I am guessing it is playable by now?

Not only just "playable", it's wonderful! It's much more polished now than it was at the start; less crashing, less quirks, you can have multiple people. There are still a few hanging issues like clients can't pick up a body and their cameras aren't in synch. But aside from them it works great.

I don't know if anyone has made some specifically coop FMs, but so many vanilla FMs are just natural for coop style, because it's such an open game as it is. One guy is picking a lock while the other guy keeps exploring or takes out a guard. And for a lot of puzzle & situations, it's just nice to have 2 minds there to figure out what to do next. I can tell you even a simple contest FM or practically any random FM you pick will be fun coop. (A few of them don't work as well; like FMs that cut off access to the spawn point, e.g., Equilibrium, so if you respawn you're stuck. Even that might have a work-around though.)

I've got T2 installed but it kept crashing, I'll have to try and get it going.

So how does it handle the ai in the map? are there still the same ai, plus players are added to guards? thieves always just spawn at start point?

Too bad I don't dromed anymore, might be fun to create a multiplayer specific map. Things like spawn points being unreachable, etc... just more thought out for that specifically.

I tried Thief 2 multiplayer with the OMs about a year and a half ago, had problems with duplicate/infinite items, respawning, freezing, etc. I was also playing on a LAN then, are there people playing on a server now or something?

Your experience may vary I guess if you've had a couple of good games with a good partner. I didn't notice the quirks because we were having fun.

So how does it handle the ai in the map? are there still the same ai, plus players are added to guards? thieves always just spawn at start point?

It's coop. That means every player is a Thief and the FMs are as normal ... same map, AI, everything. If one player achieves an objective, it achieves it for everybody. Other things players do for themselves, like read a book or get loot (only happens for the player doing it), and frobbing most stuff. Players can also give themselves custom skins (so you could give yourself a guard skin and *act* like a guard I guess, but the game still thinks about you as a Thief player.) You achieve the objectives as always, but now you have a partner in crime to help you through the FM and laugh at you when you do something dumb.