The Dark Mod Forums

implementing own textures

Are you using specular maps? That's a sure-fire way of looking plastic if you use it on anything but metal.

It may also be the lighting in that shot...hard to tell.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how to make looks normal ? what i need to do with normalmaps ?

There are tons of tutorials in the textures section of the wiki. I guess the best one for creating good normals is "Normalmaps, How to Make Good Ones"... :)

With unregular high-frequency structures, you'll get pretty decent results with the common nmap tools, like njob crazybump etc., but with ornament structures etc. you should take a small detour via a partially handpainted heightmap or a 3d modeling app, as described in the upper tutorial.

First thing first, you should reduce specularity. By a lot. Unless you are looking for a slime effect, a small hint of it that has just a little glint is best.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I guess you'll just need to develop a feeling for whether things look natural or not. The one in the middle looks kind of ok I guess, but the rest is just brutal. ;) I suppose you're running crazybump, judging from the normalmap on the far right. Try reducing shape recognition and mix in more details. Left one has also too much shape recognition I think. Shape recognition in CB sucks most of the time by the way.

Also, don't rely too much on a single tool. Combine normalmaps from different sources, rebuild parts of the texture manually using a 3d application or 2d drawing of heightmaps if you prefer.

Displacement maps are useless, because we don't use displacement or parallax shaders. The best way to implement it is to use material-specific shaders, but that's not possible without the doom 3 source code.

Heightmaps automatically get turned into normalmaps at load time. All that does is waste loading time and generate an inferior normalmap.

You can check out iddevnet for more info.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

dds or jpg ?

all of custom texture i add is 256x256 jpg's,their normalmap is 512x512 TGA

i saw tdm have dds textures too, and normalmaps looks much different than normalmaps for jpg textures

so what texture format is better for D3 ? what difference between using jpg and dds textures ?

Proceed with caution!

JPG diffuse maps effectively get turned into giant lossless texture files at load time. DDS files stay nice and small in memory.

For projected textures (I assume you mean light textures) here's the definition for doom 3's defaultProjectedLight

lights/defaultProjectedLight
{
lightFalloffImage	_noFalloff		// by default, stay bright almost all the way to the end
{
	forceHighQuality
	map lights/squarelight1.tga
	colored
	zeroClamp
}
}

If there's no specularmap, then it's either TDM's enhanced shader accentuating the shiny bits, and/or the normalmap is just a little too exaggerated.

Drag out some bigger brushes. I'm curious to see how well these tile.

Looking good, but I know I've asked you this before, but please turn on Anisotropic filtering to at least 4x

if i do that,fps will be lower

i also cant understand what Anisotropic filtering and v-sunc do instead of rising down fps

cant see any differnce

Proceed with caution!

Here I've uploaded 4 images. The first image has only Trilinear filtering enabled and 0x AF. The second image has Trilinear + AFx2, the third AFx4 and the fourth AF x8. Ever since like 5 years ago, AF has become pretty much free with little to no performance loss unless you are using a really old video card and I mean pre Radeon 9700 Pro series. The only time I notice a FPS drop is going to AF x16 but I can't tell the difference between 8 and 16 except in extreme situations.

Now to understand what's going on in these images, look at the floor near the torch and the wall on the right near the torch. When geometry is rendered at extreme angles to the camera (player POV) the textures get blurry and lose all detail. That's what Trilinear filtering and even more so, Anisotropic filtering were designed to improve.

EDIT: Also take a close look at the transparent window on the right, in the first image the glass has no detail and looks all splotchy, but is really sharp in the last image. These effects are even MORE pronounced while playing in game and moving around.

Trilinear + 0xAF

1trilinear.jpg

Trilinear + 2xAF

2anisotropicx2.jpg

Trilinear + 4xAF

3anisotropicx4.jpg

Trilinear + 8xAF

4anisotropicx8.jpg

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

You complain about graphic fidelity, but you can't detect mipmap artifacts or anisotropy? :rolleyes:

Anisotropic filtering is a very cheap texture filter. On my old ATI Radeon 9600 AGP, it doesn't event dent fps. Even on my laptop's cruddy on-board graphics chip, 4xAF only shaves off 1 frame.

for example this texture tiles very good,but some of textures i added,have visible seams

Looks good! :) I think the normal map needs to be inverted, though.