The Dark Mod Forums

Professor Paul1290 plays The Dark Mod

Professor Paul1290

If savecount = 0, then the player would get a special Iron Man mention/award or something.

If I'm allowed to go off-topic for a mo, can I just check: does 'Iron Man' gameplay = not saving at all as you go along?

Seen it mentioned a few times and never been completely sure what it meant.

At least my definition for Iron Man would be:

Intentional voluntary challenge of no saves and no loads.

Actually I am not sure if the community has the same definition for it. Good thing you brought it up so we can define it and that way understand what we are talking about.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I still wish the mission statistics screen would have a save count stat. If savecount = 0, then the player would get a special Iron Man mention/award or something. The stealth score per se promotes save/load behavior, you get better score by just loading when a guard spots you. You can't count loads, but you should be able to count saves, right?

I suggested that a while back. To be precise, I suggested fully customizeable mission ratings. The author should be able to access stats like "times saved", "stealth score", "damage dealt" / "enemies killed", "arrows shot" etc. and define his own playstyle ratings for that. I don't remember anymore where we stood at the end of that discussion.

Actually I am not sure if the community has the same definition for it. Good thing you brought it up so we can define it and that way understand what we are talking about.

Yeah, do that! And then: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Playstyles&action=edit&redlink=1 :>

Lots of good stuff there. Like dropping Knighton into the crapper head down. When I mapped that I never even considered this scenario: legs sticking out. Heh heh.. Also the final escape was funny as hell when the guard tossed a rock on your head. Watching these are not only entertaining, but also helpful for the mapper as well. I learnt my lesson and never make pits the player cannot get out of if they don't have rope arrows.

Good video! Please, do consider making more. It is good to see a proper let's play without constant save/loading. Maybe people who see gameplay videos without instant loading after a failure try to deal with consequences of getting caught and realize it is not the end of the game, but just a change of pace.

Thanks, I will probably do more of these.

I definitely try not to load saves whenever I can except for recording purposes. I find it more fun both when recording and when I play on my own to put-off loading a save until the situation becomes really unsalvageable. Thankfully that hasn't happened so far except for the accidental loading in Too Late. :laugh:

At least my definition for Iron Man would be:

Intentional voluntary challenge of no saves and no loads.

Could this be any use as a starting point - http://forums.eidosg...Final_rules.htm ? Iron Man/Titanium Man rules are a few posts down the page.

I suggested that a while back. To be precise, I suggested fully customizeable mission ratings. The author should be able to access stats like "times saved", "stealth score", "damage dealt" / "enemies killed", "arrows shot" etc. and define his own playstyle ratings for that. I don't remember anymore where we stood at the end of that discussion.

Where we stand on something like that is, like a lot of things, if somebody wants to code it, go for it. And then we'll have some playtesting and if it's good people will want it to stay in, and if something doesn't work people will want it back out or a fixed version. But this is minor enough that no amount of debate will do anything. Somebody either codes it or doesn't. (I know because I didn't like the original Stealth Score and realized it'd never get fixed unless I did it myself. So I did. ^_^ )

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The Level 4 alerts are still buggy & overcounting in this version. Grayman actually already fixed this, but I guess it'll come with 1.08...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Haha wth I was surprised by looking on this site here now reading Sneak & Destroy but I'm really happy watching it! :D

This was an awesome let's play and I had much fun seeing you sneaking (and destroying) around there! I liked how you did understand the storyline and put the little pieces together to reach your goal - very well done! Also your comments really made me laugh - especially when that artist got freaken out because someone switched the lights off - haha my tummy still hurts! xD "I'm going to kill someone for this! Argh!!!" Hahaha! xD

I was a bit nervous about the loot at the end and hoped you did not quit the mission, but then you thinked right and came back to the bar room which is now empty - as I said - you put all the little pieces together. Very smart! :)

Glad you had fun, because I had it defenitely while watching you! :)

Thank you for your Let's play! It's really quite an honor!

EDIT: Very brave to save that less when having a 'don't be seen' objective! :o

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

EDIT: Very brave to save that less when having a 'don't be seen' objective! :o

What's hilarious about this is that the issue of having a "don't be seen" objective didn't really hit me until partway through the mission. I actually brought a extra flashbombs this time thinking it would help me!

I think it was around 17:40 as the guard is coming back up the stairs and I comment about the low ceiling when I silently thought "Wait a sec, my objectives say I can't be seen! AW CRAP!". It's especially funny when I re-watch that because I notice I make my "I'm not comfortable" comment about the light above the stairs, quite an understatement.

You might have noticed I used plenty of water arrows in this one. :laugh:

Haha yeah the flashbombs are more adequate for the players who play this mission on the easy difficulty :D And water arrows are a good thing in this mission (but.. well they're always) that's why you already start with 5, and there's plenty more of them in the shop, so no shame on you, you did the right thing by using these. And hey: you had even some left at the end of the game! :)

I really love this video! It shows another way how a player can play this map with all of its funny little happenings and different dangerous situations one can get in. I already got a glimpse on this with Springheels review about the mission, where he told us about his encounterings with the enemy and situations that made him love. But I also remind some funny screenshots postet around here somewhere :D

So thank you, again, for this video - it shows how much fun one can have with this map and it's really fun to watch you playing and commenting - so pelase go on! Great job! *thumbs up*

happy_ewbte_answer_1_xlarge.png

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

@33:04

I hope I don't get lynched for pointing this out, but... It really seems like AIs should be more aware when torches are extinguished with water right near them. If it were me, I would be like "what the hell was that?" What if you could only extinguish torches via water while an AI is around if he is looking the other way? Otherwise he goes to alert level B or something. This sort of thing isn't usually that noticeable, but in the dining room when he puts them out while the AIs remain calm, it just seems sort of wrong.

Another option would be to make the water splashes smaller so it doesn't seem as weird that AIs cannot see them.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Game AI don't think. They need to literally *look at* a torch & have a vis-stim to know it's out. What might be done is an auditory stim on the noise it makes when it goes out. That would be easier to get everybody in proximity to notice something happened without alerting the whole map.

If mappers set torches to be "suspicious", then AI _will_ notice when they go out. But it's up to the mapper to do that. Also, I'm pretty sure water arrows do have a small impact noise that propogates to AI. I know they did at one point.

Yes, you can set the lights as suspicious, but ... well you can't do that for every single light. You should not forget that this is a game and game play fun will be ruined for a player if the ai get alerted by every blown out torch and every stolen coin just for the sake of realism ;)

I think making the range of the water arrow sound a bit wider would also do the trick, so that the player can't shoot out flames exactly near the ai, but this has also the impact that many players will think "why the hell is he alerted now?" if they don't know it other from Thief. =)

I liked those LP's!

It's fun to see how other people play a FM. And in particular nice to see a forum regular doing LP's who knows the mod and gameplay....

Love watching S&D as for it seam you did not played this one before! Those are most fun. Also had a good lough at the escape in Knighton.

Bring on the next one, PP. :)

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

New video up, The Caduceus of St. Alban:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU5C6J_0nbA&hd=1

I get a really close call and almost die from falling two floors, but I survived and only just avoided having to resort to loading a quick save.

I haven't died just yet! I guess we'll find out how much longer my luck will last soon enough though. :laugh:

Also, I kind of butcher the pronunciation of "caduceus" in the intro. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looking forward to the first 1.08 Let's Play. :) You don't know how jarring it has become to watch earlier versions where guards fall to the ground without making a noise.

lol, well you made it about 10 minutes further than I did before getting busted the first time. I had a very near encounter in that area as well. I'm starting to think that the best idea you can have in this FM is to:

eliminate Lt. Trumble with a gas arrow. He seems to just patrol all over the map, and hes fully armored.