The Dark Mod Forums

Cryengine 3

STiFU

We're such a golden age with the tech ... and everything else with gaming for that matter except the actual gaming culture. =L

If we had the 60s European cinema culture to go with it, it'd be so wonderful.

Fortunately niche developers will get access to this kind of stuff too, so I don't mind.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yes, we are. We can tell using the cover parameter :P

I remember as a kid I used to choose games based on the cover. These were atari games, so I was almost always disappointed because the cover had nothing to do with the game! Then the 8 and 16 bit came and things got a little better, the game kinda resembled the cover but it was still way inferior. I believe we have finally reached the age of the games that look as good and sometimes better than the cover!

Berzerk from Atari, cover and screenshot:

1095011556-00.jpg

s_Berzerk_2.png

Altered Beast cover and screenshot:

936full-altered-beast-cover.jpg

Altered_Beast_Sega_Mega_Drive_ingame.jpg

I'm not even going to post the crysis cover/screenshot because the cover is a touched screenshot :P

Yeah, I'm particularly curious about how it would be to play this:

b_Centipede_Silver_front.jpg

The closest I can fathom is that it would be a bit like a stationary version of Space Harrier:

118124217151.png

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Back to the topic of CryEngine 3 - does anybody else have the feeling, that the scenery is beautiful, but hell of confusing. Everything looks alike and sparkling, and lush and you really don't see the enemies anymore. (Guess that is why they have damage indicators showing you from where you are hit).

Most of the time it seems also to be either "shot 30 bullets and hope one hits" or "snipe with aimbot from far away". And the stealth approach looked wierd, too.

Fantastic engine, but not really my type of game.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If they made the game as easy to mod as ArmA2 where you could have some total conversions (maybe they will? I don't know their record), then it might really be worth something.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think that's partly a byproduct of tone-mapping. You take the HDR color range and boil it down to something that renders

on a regular screen. All sorts of tricks are done to conserve space in video RAM an pretty soon good color variation and

contrast is eroded. It also doesn't help when the game artists are pressured into using Tessellation for "effect" (to show off graphic options)

rather than tastefully or sensibly. The combo of a limited color\contrast range, oodles of overly detailed surfaces everywhere, and lots

of tiling and repetition of said detailed surfaces is a recipe for visual confusion. I'll say that Far Cry 3 suffers less from this than

the above tech demos and many other commercial games with UE3 are also guilty of the same or MUCH worse.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Realism? In Crysis??? :D Well anyway, this is merely a techdemo for the engine. For Cryengine 2 there was a sofisticated SDK for modders and game creators to pick up. I would be deeply surprised if they didn't do it again for this engine.

You can make amazing scenes with CryEngine 3, as you can see on this sample from czech game by Warhorse studio. The game is still very early in development, but this video already shows some interesting possibilities. This game is supposed to take place in medieval history of Czech lands, in the time of Husittism.. I dont know if this period of czech history is well known to inhabitants of other countries, but it is definittely an important era of history. Czechs are the most atheist people on the world and that begins in the era of hussites. There vere even a crusade send to Czech lands by pope..

Edited by PPoe

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Uhh let's not lol.

I do dream about a platform for pure adventure style maps, walk and frob maps (this generation's version of point & click heh) with readables and such, which is the one kind of map aside from stealth maps I'd like to make. Cry Engine would be good for the atmosphere. But the gameplay would have to be rehauled.

well in the second video they say sdk free..let this mod start again.

Somebody already made that suggestion on our FB page.... :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

You can make amazing scenes with CryEngine 3, as you can see on this sample from czech game by Warhorse studio.

There are some scenes from this game in this trailer for Cryengine:

There's a first person sword fight,

It's only a model...

Yeah, I noticed this video already. It was mentioned on all czech game portals, Dan vavra (the man who stands behind the development) is quite popular in Czech rep. The games like Mafia or hidden and Dangerous are popular not just in my country, but all around the world.

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)