The Dark Mod Forums

AI Fighting Each Other?

delatroy

Is it ever possible for AI to ever fight each other? It would be interesting to "frame" AI against each other as a guard clearing mechanic. For example you should shoot an arrow at a guard from the shadows close to an archer. When the attacked guard investigates, he would find, wrongly blame and attack the nearby archer where a fight would break out. Could have accusation voice events, verbal arguments, etc. Would be hilarious. :laugh:

It is possible to have AI fight (put them on opposing teams), it's also possible to make an event that changes a team relationship which would cause AI to start fighting, but I don't think it can be done (easily, at least) the way you described above. Maybe someone like Grayman or Sotha could chime in?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I've dodged an arrow, which hit the archer's friend. After I got away the friend attacked and killed the archer!

• Like 1

I've intentionally provoked AI fights in the past. I did this by turning on god mode, having them throw things at me and making it hit another AI. There are a few problems though.

*in the past, AIs didn't attack eachother unless they ran into eachother. I think this is fixed in the new version of TDM.

*The AIs don't move around when fighting eachother, so it doesn't look that good. They just run up to the other guy and smack them. Its not like the Thief AI, who put on quite a show. If you're the player and they come to fight you, they will move when you move, making it look natural, but when its AI vs AI, they just stand their and wack eachother.

• Like 1

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Even though the AI in this video aren't using any footwork, I still find this entertaining. I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed watching AI fight each other with melee weapons, even when it is done in a simple fashion.

Edited by SirGen

Is it ever possible for AI to ever fight each other? It would be interesting to "frame" AI against each other as a guard clearing mechanic. For example you should shoot an arrow at a guard from the shadows close to an archer. When the attacked guard investigates, he would find, wrongly blame and attack the nearby archer where a fight would break out. Could have accusation voice events, verbal arguments, etc. Would be hilarious. :laugh:

Yes, you could have a trigger in that area. Lure the guard in, then the trigger will fire an entity (need to check which one) to change team relationships on the archer. The archer may need to be set to something like team 6 (criminal). The guard walking into the trigger would cause team 6 members to become foes of team 2(?). Then maybe adjust the health of the two AI to ensure the archer always dies in the ensuing fight.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Now I'm picturing gangs of AI, roaming the streets. Guards, criminals, etc., all crossing paths with each other but pretending to ignore each other. Until <insert scripted or triggered event here> happens. Then team relationships change and word gets out (extremely) fast. Then gang warfare all over town. You slip on past, hoping they're all too busy to notice you.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

But you miss the point. Thread is about AI finding out who causing alarm (of any type in fact, blaming his friend for leaving doors open, too).

AI get an arrow to his knee, then there is question "do I see a thief?". If no, AI have to evaluate if there is any AI in sight. He should act "as normal" (who done this? I will find you!) only if there's no one to be framed. Otherwise there should be chance to blame a single AI -then first AI just have to attack by script, whole fight will start (with out changing group) as you describing above.

EDIT: From the other side it will make ghosting more valuable -AI will fight inside their own group only if no alarm was raised before, otherwise they will work always as team.

Edited by ERH+

S2wtMNl.gif

Heh.. Back when I did KM, I made a brief Knighton Manor Battle Royale test, where I made AI into hostile teams. It was very cool to watch the chaos. You can read about it here: http://forums.thedar...post__p__232278

Any mapper could make use of this framing. Maybe you put a lover's note into the nobleman's table, which the wife finds and reads. She gets a conversation command that leads leads her to the nobleman, and argument breaks out and the noblewoman and the -man switch into hostile teams. Would be fun. Someone, go forth and map it!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I noticed that since 2.0 ai that is neutral to me attacks me if I attack them. If this does not only apply to the player, you would just have to set the inner team relations to neutral.

If this don't work, this can be accomplished with a simple scriptobject.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

But you miss the point.

Yeah framing and blame were the original gist of it. Maybe a personality trait could be used in addition to make confrontations more interesting and complex where the outcome of the confrontation is not always the same. For instance, the accused (the AI that's been successfully framed) could be submissive, aggressive or rational with different actions after the attacked AI confronts him as: plead with and beg for mercy, attack or reason with and join with the attacked AI to find the real culprit (the player or some other entity).

Similarly the attacked AI could be aggressive and just full on attack once the framed AI is found, submissive and complain, or rational and inquire about what happened. I think when used with a believable set of vocals it would hilarious to see it play out.

You can imagine however loads of additional, interesting scenarios where it could also be used as PranQster describes with gangs, etc.

Edited by delatroy

Maybe an AI has alert levels toward each other that are separate from the thief. For example state 3 has scripts for arguing with other ai, but stop arguing and turn to a thief that triggers an alert level higher than 3. Something like that I guess?

alert state 0 is idle to other ai, and notice thief triggers any alert level

alert state 1 is observant to other ai and questioning the situation, and only notice thief triggered alert level 2 like louder footsteps

alert state 2 is suspicious to other ai and insults and rude, and only notice thief triggered alert level 3 like walking in the peripheral view

alert state 3 is searching to other ai and drawing sword and arguing, and only notice thief triggered alert level 4 like was in full view but now hiding

alert state 4 is agitated to other ai and drawing sword and attacking, and only notice thief triggered alert level 5 like being in full view (Enemy is known)

alert state 5 is in combat to other ai and drawing sword and attacking, and just ignore thief in alert level 5, exception when thief also engages in combat or physical activity with ai

assuming some notes from,

http://wiki.thedarkm...?title=AI_State

http://wiki.thedarkm...I_Documentation