The Dark Mod Forums

Trick to select all decals?

Springheel

I know I can filter decals out of a scene, but is there any way I can select all the decals in an area without having to do it one by one?

Filter everything except for decals, then select the decals en masse.

If you expect to want to select that group again in the future, add them to a unique layer.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Before I bother, does converting them to fs help stop them from popping in front of things as you walk away from them?

The popping is from their sort order I believe. Sometimes the engine doesn't know what is in front of what. You might be able to force specific decals to work differently by making a new material def with a hard coded sort value. Similar to how rebb fixed grayman's waterfall issue.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The issue is dirt decals on walls that pop in front of windows that already stick out several units from the wall. The decal should not draw in front of the window, but when you get a certain distance away, it does.

Yep, I've noticed that in the past. There is no cure, I'm afraid.

What about turning them into models? I notice that when I add decals as part of a .lwo model, the popping doesn't occur. Have you tried exporting the decals as an .ase?

Is said dirt-decal material using the "DECAL_MACRO" keyword ?

Might be worth a try to remove this and instead use the equivalent keywords that it stands for, but with a lower polygonOffset value, which is 1 in DECAL_MACRO.

Something like the following, but experimenting a bit until you find a good polygonOffset value between 0 and 1 that works for the scene.

polygonOffset 0.75 // this is 1 in DECAL_MACRO
discrete
sort decal
noShadows